Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 03:28:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Help needed please with Darkest Africa scenario  (Read 6091 times)

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Help needed please with Darkest Africa scenario
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2012, 01:21:39 PM »
Scenario 1 is taking shape. 300 pts for both Explorers and Cannibals:

Explorers
White Man with Gunbearer
Soldier/Sergeant
12 x Heavily Armed Askari
[Steamer]

Cannibals
12 x Warriors incl Leader
1 x 9 Spearmen
1 x 9 Agile Spearmen [may throw spears]
12 x Archers

Set Up:

River/Board 6' in length. The camp occupies the final 12" with the steamer on the table at the opposite board edge. A track winds its way across the Native side of the board [enables a double move towards the camp]. Natives start in the first half of the board i.e. furthest away from the camp. All Native units must start within 4" of the riverbank. No unit may deploy behind another Native unit.

Steamer starts up to 6" in & moves 12' a turn but does not count as in Cover. Counts as Moving for Askari etc Shooting. Explorers may move 6" when the steamer berths

[NB. in effect Native Archers will only hit on 5 or 6 (even when moving. They should be able to get in one shot when stationary and another when moving. Agile Speamen will only be able to hit on a 6 [target >half range of spears]. Askari etc will have their "plus 1 shooting modifier" negated by Cover so will hit Natives in Cover on 5/6 but 4+ when Natives are not in Cover eg climbing the Stockade]

The Camp counts as Cover for movement and shooting

It takes the Natives 1 turn to scale the camp stockade.

Explorer player starts first. [NB. all shooting is simultaneous and casualties that turn, for working out firing back, are ignored]

Game length: 7 [on the 5th turn the Explorers should be able to disembark/search the buildings while the Warriors and what ever can keep pace climb the stockade. 6th turn - battle/Native player charges the Explorers. 7th turn - resolution.

Special Rule: Steam Whistle (1 x use only from turn 4): Morale check for all Natives except that of the Native Leader[a 2nd failed Morale test cause a unit to flee/disperse]

Special Rule: Explorer may allocate his 3 x Attendants to shooting casualties rather that remove that number of Askari. Whether its a good idea to use all three ...

Special Rule: Explorers etc may move in the same turn the boat moves/moors

Special Rule: if only the Explorer survives the Native attack then he must flee towards the jungle not the river  ...  and will not be heard of again*

* which gives me another idea for a scenario, with the sole Explorer being chased by Natives through the Jungle [stolen shamelessly from W.I. some time back and The North American Indian Arrow Run]

« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:19:06 PM by H.M.Stanley »
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2012, 05:23:30 PM »
I playtested this a couple of times today. They were all close games. I've amended Scenario 1

Firing  is simultaneous .. and deadly. I've allowed the Explorer Leader to sacrifice his 3 x attendents rather than remove that number of Askari. Of course if you remove all three then that's a gamble in HtoH. The Morale tests work very well with the Native missile units almost always breaking when taking heavy casualties and having to take multiple tests

Movment is 6" for Natives in Cover; 12" when not. As this is a turn limited game i wanted the 2 x Warrior units to be climbing the stockade on Turn 5 rather than risk D6s
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 06:02:29 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: March 25, 2012, 05:27:22 PM »

[oops - shaky photo ..]

Warriors are deadly in HtoH. Here poor shooting by the Explorers when the Cannibals were climbing the Stockade [no Cover] and when charging into Combat [here the Natives get Cover in the Camp] allow the Natives to get there in numbers

The Explorers must remain stationary in Turn 6 (to explore the village). Naturally allowing the Natives to charge

Here the Explorer and the sole surving Askari retreat from combat in their turn and escape. Just!

I'd play it that if the Explorer is the only survivor he must flee towards the jungle rather than the river ...
« Last Edit: March 25, 2012, 05:42:43 PM by H.M.Stanley »

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2012, 07:12:37 AM »
I'm watching the African Queen at the moment.

I wonder ... i have a Hill-Fort, some German Askari ...

Offline airbornegrove26

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: April 03, 2012, 01:23:05 PM »
Play test looks good.  Can't wait to see the game write up.

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: April 03, 2012, 01:28:48 PM »
Play test looks good.  Can't wait to see the game write up.

Thank you.

Once the figures are varnished i'll give it an outing with a couple of the guys while play at being GM

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2012, 11:08:35 AM »
My apologies for the thread necromancy...

Mr Stanley sir, may I enquire as to the other scenarios that you mention, do you happen to have the details of them handy?  I'm looking to set up a few DA games and these look jolly interesting.

thanks,

Mark

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2012, 11:10:58 AM »
My Dear Chap..

DA has taken a back seat. Shocking i know but needs must.

Its still one of my favourite periods.

Have fun

James

Offline d(sqrt(-1))

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: September 27, 2012, 01:44:28 PM »

Aha, no problem, thanks for quick reply!

This means I'll actually have to do some work myself...

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 27, 2012, 01:46:24 PM »
Aha, no problem, thanks for quick reply!

This means I'll actually have to do some work myself...

'fraid so - but do let me know how you get on ...  lol