Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:55:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Darkest Africa  (Read 15228 times)

Offline jimpan

• Assistant
Darkest Africa
« on: February 01, 2010, 06:03:35 PM »
Hi everyone,
I am going to make a Darkest Africa game but i would like to know a little about who fought who. I know that Britain and zulu fought but there are so many other armies aswell like belgian, askaris, baluchi and many more. Any help would be much appreciated  :)
Trapped in time. Surrounded by miniatures. Low on paint.

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
Re: Darkest Africa
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2010, 08:02:11 PM »
I'm just getting into Darkest Africa myself  :) Concerning East/Central Africa you have alot to play with! There was often conflict between the Arabs and the native tribes, particularly the Masai it would seem, for example in 1856 a Masai raid on Mombasa wiped out the Arab garrison. In 1857-58  Arabs were at war with the Watuta (an Ngoni tribe), and in 1868 the Zanzibaris were defeated by the Ngoni. In 1871 Stanley aided Arabs in their fight against the warlord Mirambo and his Ngoni allies. The rebel Arab, Mbarak, with his tribal allies fought against Zanzibar from 1873-82. From 1875-80 there were rebellions by subject peoples against their Ngoni overlords. In 1876-77 Stanley's expedition fought his way across Africa. There was from 1878-81 a war between the Hehe and Ngoni. In 1886 Arabs attacked the Belgian garrison at Stanley Falls. From 1888-89 there was the Abushiri Rebellion where Arab and tribal forces attacked the Germans. In 1889 the German Carl Peters expedition fights its way through Masai territory. 1891 saw a civil war in Uganda. From 1891-93 you have the Swahili War of Arabs versus Belgians. From 1891-98 the Germans fought campaigns against the Hehe. British expeditions against slavers in Central Africa took place during 1891-98. In 1895 Admiral Rawson lead sailors, Ugandan Rifles and Indian Army units against Arab rebels in British East Africa. That is just the tip of the iceberg! My knowledge is so far limited, but there are plenty of people on this site who can offer you alot more info  :) Welcome to the forum and good luck, Marc.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2010, 08:19:36 PM »
That's a big question! Might take a bit of answering. Here's some historical match-ups (sticking to the East Africa of the Peers/Copplestone "Darkest Africa" genre for now) to get you started:

Belgians fought Congo peoples such as the Azande and other jungle tribes, the Congo "Arabs" (Zanzibari figures can be used for those), and the Mahdists.

Masai would attack anyone who came on their land, or who happened to have the misfortune of being their neighbours. Explorers and their expeditions and Arab caravans through their territory made for good targets. They also raided the settlements of the Swahili coastal area from time to time. Also used as scouts and allies for the British colonial authorities later on, against such tribal foes as the Nandi.

The Baluchis were orginally the core of the Sultan of Zanzibar's army. They could be found as caravan guards and fighting the Sultan's enemies (combined with Zanzibari figures to make up your force). You could also use them as part of an explorer's force. Sir Richard Burton said they were hopeless shots but very good swordsmen.

"Arabs" (including Zanzibaris and Baluchis) fought the Belgians, British, Germans, Ruga Ruga, Masai, Ngoni and others.

Ngoni fought the Arabs, Germans, British (in Nyasaland), Portuguese (in Moçambique), Ruga Ruga and just about anybody else who happened to be around.

Askaris can be found in many armies, both colonial and local (the non-uniformed sort of askari in this case).

The Nyamwezi Ruga Ruga warlords mostly fought the Arabs, though there were wars with Ngoni (mostly the Watuta, I fancy) and they also raided for slaves among the local native tribes. They also occasionally attacked explorers. You can use Masai and Ngoni figures with this army too, as they were often recruited as mercenaries to supplement Ruga Ruga forces.

Explorers and their expeditions could end up fighting just about anybody, especially if they were led by belligerent, tetchy types such as Stanley or Peters.

How's that for now? It's quite a complicated subject to put into a few words, when you sit down and try to do it. Hopefully some of our other posters will chip in and fill in some of the gaps.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline jimpan

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2010, 08:29:11 PM »
Thanks both of you this really helped alot

Offline Mors

• Scientist
    • Tales from thr Green Dragom
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2010, 09:15:20 PM »
Welcome to Africa, its a very interesting period to get into, as I have recently found out. My advice would be have a good look round before you buy miniatures.

This forum in particular will give you plenty of inspiration and information , use the advanced search button and type in africa and limit the search to the colonial adventures board.
My hobby is very much miniatures and books led, rather than actual gaming, visit the manufacturers sites and see which figures you would like to paint then investigate who there opponents would be , my blog has got a list of manufacturers on it, not yet finished though. Foundry is probably the best site to look at first.

Books wise I highly reccomend the Foundry books on East Africa and Colonial african armies, however they are quite pricey, not sure if your in the UK but I normally get mine at Salute where Dave Thomas sells them for a tenner each.The East Africa osprey is also ok if thats the area you are going to do.

I find the army lists for Chris Peers rules sets very useful too , gives you an idea of what forces to build, there are other rule sets too of course, I understand Triumph and Tragedy works quite well and they have a colonial supplement coming out soon apparently.

Here are few links to some  places I visit on the web

http://www.darkestafrica.de/

http://www.edinburghwargames.com/Darkest%20Africa.htm

http://www.trenchfighter.homepage.t-online.de/188001/home.html

http://jacksongamers.blogspot.com/2009/07/sword-in-africa.html

http://www.quindia.com/studiogalleryafrica.htm

http://www.mini-universe.de/THS-Team%20Games/The%20Faschoda%20Incident/index.html

http://www.savageandsoldier.com/articles.html

plenty of bedtime reading there. good luck

Mors

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2010, 09:39:03 PM »
Does   the Gold Coast, Ashantis, fantis and such within the realm of darkest Africa? 

Guys, it wasn't "Arabs", it was "Arab Slavers"  (Good spin.  Implies that we have the   moral high ground, so the folks back home don't get the wrong idea about why we are there)   :D
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline cram

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2010, 10:31:41 PM »
Nice selection of links Mors! I'll be able to make good use of them myself, cheers  :D

Offline jimpan

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 05:59:04 AM »
Great links Mors, thanks!

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 02:56:56 PM »
Also, for scenario inspiring accounts,  "The Great War in Africa" by Farwell, (neat true tales of river, lake and jungle battles in the East Africa/Congo region. Nice accounts of askari types.   It's WWI, but the players are all the same.

DON'T read "Leopold's Ghost".   (  Unromantic and revisionist  )

I dare say the author's take on the Colonial   experience     in the Congo   is unfavorable.    Focus is on the instances of brutality, racism and rascalism, and not so much the  glamor and adventure.

You will look at your Force Publique figures and say:  "No!  Not my boys!  They would never do that! Say it aint' so?!"

:)

Offline Count Winsky

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: February 26, 2010, 04:42:25 PM »
Thanks for the links, they are very helpful.
“There is no force like success, and that is why the individual makes all effort to surround himself throughout life with the evidence of it; as of the individual, so should it be of the nation.”

Marcus Garvey

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: February 26, 2010, 05:06:59 PM »
The Darkest Africa rules by Chris Peers have a good abstract on most of the various factions and tribes. The Foundry Colonial Forces in Africa and other books are for the serious student and well worth the money in my opionion. And, of course, don't forget to read Heart of Darkness, and to watch The Ghost and The Darkness  ;)

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2010, 04:08:33 PM »
Further to Plynkes' excellent list of participants, you can also match Azande against Mahdists from the Sudan. One of the Azande kings seriously considered sending an army to rescue Gordon in Khartoum, such was their hatred of the Sudanese slavers.

The Egyptians would also push south into central and eastern Africa in search of slaves etc. There are many options for alliances, so you can collect small forces from different tribes and then use them together or alongside European forces. Only the most anal gamers would object on grounds of "historical accuracy" in most Darkest Africa campaigns.

As well as the historical match-ups, there is no reason why you can't just pick a couple of your favourite tribes and/or "civilised"  nations and have them fighting in an imaginary corner of Africa.

I'd recommend Chris Peers' rules "Death In A Dark Continent" which are not only very easy to learn and play, but also have some good background info and integral army lists which will help you build your armies up. Good value for 12.50 GBP.  It is set at a larger scale than his skirmish set "In The Heart Of Africa", but does not require large numbers of figures to play a decent game with. ITHOA has separate army lists which means slightly more expense.

Extra army lists for DIADC as free downloads here:
http://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=194

Another good set is Two Hour Wargames "Colonial Adventures", which has less background but some great solo-playable rules and a clever game set-up procedure which play in (surprise, surprise) around two hours  :D

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2010, 08:19:47 PM »
Yep, Gluteus.   When I play in the Jacksonville Garrison's Darkest Africa SATF games (they have maybe the best DA terrain boards   ever  , museum quality), it's usually Zanzibari slavers, Egyptians, English, Belgians, and every type of askari and tribe around, often every man for himself, which makes it a great convention game. (with lots of backdoor alliances, double crosses, and quibling)

Had one game where everyone was on one side of the table, fighting it out and doing eachother dirty with duplicity, meanwhile, one players hidden units just walked in on the other side, took the Zanzibar slave fort, the tribal villages, and the British mine without opposition and won the game.  LOL!

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2010, 09:04:58 PM »
 lol

Yes, it's great when you get to play multi-player games like that. The low-down shameless cunning behaviour is one thing I really miss about regular club games. Once I win the lottery and get to retire, I'll be able to return to regularly getting duped by my opponents - and allies   lol

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #14 on: March 01, 2010, 07:18:57 PM »
Thanks for the links, gentlemen! My own Daftest Africa set-up will certainly benefit from this when I develop it.  :)
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com