Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 11:09:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689510
  • Total Topics: 118282
  • Online Today: 646
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: pacarat’s Darkest Africa misadventures  (Read 4821 times)

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Re: pacarat’s Darkest Africa misadventures
« Reply #15 on: November 16, 2022, 09:19:41 AM »
Inspiring work. Well done.

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #16 on: November 16, 2022, 09:56:25 AM »
Cracking do love all the wildlife - what are you still hoping to add?

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 16, 2022, 12:53:54 PM »
what are you still hoping to add?

Some deceased Ox-like South African antelope, but
that would be...
THE END OF THE GNUS lol lol lol
(I'll get my coat)

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #18 on: November 16, 2022, 04:44:37 PM »
Thanks all…

I have to credit (blame?!) this forum for my inspiration.. when I first joined and started browsing the african related threads I was blown away by all of the great scenes (both 15mm and 28mm) presented. So I jumped in, and have steadily added to the collection. (After a seven or eight span of painting only 15mm WW2 this environment was a welcome change!)

I still have a box of African-herd-animal-shame unpainted… more gnu, oryx, zebra, giraffe, impala, and cattle.

Currently on the paint table are a dozen gazelles, and some feeding/grounded vultures.

On the shopping list are meerkats, and I’ve been looking for additional grazers - kudu, eland, okapi, etc. Basically anything with an interesting or unusual color scheme.

I’ve been looking for white egrets to put on bases next to the buffalo, similar to what I did with the tickbirds.

For humans I still want to paint some more tribal forces, some Belgians, and additional Ruga and Zanzibari.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2022, 06:11:22 PM »
Very impressive as is, but that would not stop me wanting to
see it after you finish your, 'To Do' list.
 :)

Offline MaleGriffin

• Mastermind
  • Don't bother running.... You'll just die tired....
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2022, 02:08:17 AM »
This has to be one of the most AMAZING Darkest Africa collections I've ever seen! Bravo! I'm green with envy!
Hoc quoque transibit
Sanguinem sistit semper

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #21 on: November 17, 2022, 06:30:00 PM »
Thanks much… it’s fun to see it all together - has been in storage for several years after our pre-pandemic move. Finally getting the game room set up and populated.

I still need to build a log stockade/kraal and a couple of grain storage outbuildings. That will pretty much complete the list for man-made structures, unless something else comes up that I can’t resist.

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: November 17, 2022, 09:24:21 PM »
What an absolutely fabulous collection, I’m in awe!!!

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #23 on: November 18, 2022, 02:03:21 PM »
Thanks!

I needed some loot/trade material for the Hunters, Metchants, and Ruga Ruga to “haggle” over, so genned up a few bases of ivory.

Heat bake FIMO, rolled and shaped on our kitchen island countertop (very smooth surface).

I have a couple loose pieces of Foundry ivory,  not near enough for a pile or three

And after all that work, forgot to put them on the table… drrp.

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: November 18, 2022, 03:05:05 PM »
Love the ivory - in my plans to do almost exactly that.   The reason I say almost is I hadn't planned on the hollow ends that you did.  My plan duly amended - though a bit more challenging in 15 mm.  I will 'weather' mine a bit more than you did yours to be a bit less 'white', just my personal take on it.  Yours look great.

Oh, I bake my fimo style items in the oven and use a glass pyrex container.  How much odor do you get using the stove top (have same type)?

Your collection is truly spectacular.  I will likely have you beat in numbers in the end but definitely not in quality of paint job - even accounting for 15 mm.  Very nicely done.

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #25 on: November 18, 2022, 03:47:11 PM »
Appreciate the comments.

I did mine in our toaster oven @ 260F for 15 minutes. Used some heavy duty foil as plate. No odor that I detected, but I don’t have the best sense of smell. (I do have a spare toaster oven in the garage just for smelly hobby stuff.)

I should have used nitrile gloves to eliminate any chance of fingerprints. Think I was careful enough that none are visible. The rough ends were happenstance after cutting root end off, I just worked a bit to get an irregular shape.

I do have to say that it was a bit uncomfortable making these, knowing that in real life so many animals were hunted (and still are)…

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: November 19, 2022, 01:57:05 AM »
"I do have to say that it was a bit uncomfortable making these, knowing that in real life so many animals were hunted (and still are)…"

Absolutely understand that - have the same feelings about my plan.  But I think it would be hypocritical not to address the reality.  Similar with having some figures of Africans being traded into slavery, hands bound and that awful way of using sticks to do so.  But it did happen and I don't want to sanitize it.  Representing what was on the tabletop, in my mind, in no way condones what was done in the past - if anything, I hope it gives an opportunity to educate those who ask about it.  And to express how I feel about it in today's world.

Offline giorgio

• Scientist
« Reply #27 on: November 19, 2022, 01:21:35 PM »
Gorgeous beasties! Great scenario!   :-*

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #28 on: November 30, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
everything beautiful..similar to a 20 c. Hollywood moovie :)..just a question: where did you get those flying birds? i suppose they are wild geeese?

Offline pacarat

• Mad Scientist
    • pacarat.blogspot.com
« Reply #29 on: November 30, 2022, 10:40:53 PM »
thanks folks…

The birds are “peeve” vultures originally from Fanticide Liberi faction. Available now from Eureka. (100FAN106 is the code).

Set has two single birds (shown in my pics) and a joined pair I have yet to paint. :)