Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:51:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691078
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 5
Guests: 734
Total: 739

Recent

Author Topic: Ogre from Steve Jackson Games  (Read 4613 times)

Offline Cultist #3

• Scientist
  • Iä! Iä! Cthulhu fhtagn!
Ogre from Steve Jackson Games
« on: April 12, 2012, 05:31:28 AM »
Zombies you can outrun - the mistakes of your fellow Heroes you cannot.

Offline Solins

• Assistant
Re: Ogre from Steve Jackson Games
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:52:58 PM »
I'm living in the Old World and I began to cry  :'(

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 08:00:49 PM »
Apparently it's cheaper to buy a plane ticket to the U.S. and pick it up at SJG's offices instead of having it shipped via mail.

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 11:34:21 PM »
I wanted to FED EX an overcoat and a gas mask from the US to Australia using the slowist cheapist method. It was about $300 USD. It was cheaper to just lug them about and fly back with them.

Postage costs to external countries in the US is obscene. To the point where buying from the US is not worth it as even if the item is peanuts the postage costs on top blow the cost out of the water.

Same with the Netherlands.  If I take 2 extra bags, that $140.00 and 100lbs of stuff.  FAR cheaper than postage!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 11:53:33 PM »
A buddy in Australia asked me to send him some stuff I could get cheaper here.  By the time postage was paid I doubt he saved 10 bucks...   I felt bad.

Every time a bad person dies, a Paratrooper gets his wings.

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 12:08:41 AM »
I wanted to do Ogre in 28mm. I figured it would be a laugh. I just need to find out where I can rent an aitcraft hanger so I can set up the terrain.

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 12:16:31 AM »

I was all about the new edition until I saw the minis. I'm just not that enthused about the way they look, but I still love the game. Maybe I'm just an OGRE purist for the metal minis, which were heavy, but that added weight is definitely a factor in my interest, though. However, I do think that it's great to have it back.....!!!!

One miniature is too many, and a thousand are not enough...

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 01:46:57 AM »
I wanted to do Ogre in 28mm. I figured it would be a laugh. I just need to find out where I can rent an aitcraft hanger so I can set up the terrain.

Not 28mm, but MARS here is a 15mm OGRE:

:D

Offline Wolf 359

• Scientist
    • WhatThe?!Miniatures
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 05:31:18 AM »

Wow. Where did that come from......? Does that go along with that giant GEV I saw on a thread some time back.....?

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2012, 05:51:09 AM »
i had alot of fun playing and am glad to see it come back.  :)
Nice 15mm fig but have you seen the 28mm set that was made for cons ?
They were awe inspiring to say the least and yes they required the entire rooms floor space to play a game.
I will try to find pictures of them again. my copies were lost to hard drive death  :'( .

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
« Reply #10 on: April 13, 2012, 11:37:06 AM »

I was all about the new edition until I saw the minis. I'm just not that enthused about the way they look, but I still love the game. Maybe I'm just an OGRE purist for the metal minis, which were heavy, but that added weight is definitely a factor in my interest, though. However, I do think that it's great to have it back.....!!!!

I agree, 3d cardboard sounds like money I'm forced to spend until I go otu and get real minis....  Bummer.

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2012, 12:28:36 PM »
I have my copy of Ogre deluxe and I'm happy with it. I never liked GEV or any of the later stuff, the strength of the original Ogre is its purity of design. I would have bought a new one but that's not an option any more so I'll just stick with what I have I suppose.

Offline sleep when Im lead

• Bookworm
    • http://sleepwhenimlead.blogspot.co.uk/
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2012, 12:59:59 PM »
I have to agree with Matakishi. The game was a force of nature. A nice idea simply put together. The rules work and it has a nice background. I could never see it working in reality. I would love to see it in 28mm but think it would requires someone with an obsession about the game and a small lottery win.

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2012, 01:41:07 PM »
The 28mm Ogre "maxitures" have always occupied a strange corner of my imagination... If only I had a couple free months, several thousand dollars and a hectare or two to devote to a $4 clamshell-box game from my junior high school days!

Much like the "life-sized" Roborally event I played in years ago, laid out on the drill floor of the local National Guard center. (The volunteers playing the robots sat in wheelie office chairs wearing strange hats, sort of like a cross between "Office Space" and DEVO.) Good times!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline CptJake

• Mastermind
  • Hooah!
« Reply #14 on: April 15, 2012, 06:23:36 PM »
Wow. Where did that come from......? Does that go along with that giant GEV I saw on a thread some time back.....?

SJG released the GEV, and it was supposed to be 25/28mm.   I had one of those but sold it off after SJG crapped all over any hope that they would expand the range or even kep the normal OGRE minis avaialble.

MARS here is a garage kit some one made several years ago.  Resin and metal parts.  I think the guy that made them did a run of 100 or so, I got lucky and got two.   (sorry, the extra one also got sold off...)   

Currently he sits on the desk top and is waiting for me to get his OPFOR painted up so he has more targets to destroy in games of Tomorrow's War.