Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:27:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Andy's thread of Curiosities (Formally the Museum Thread)  (Read 38304 times)

Offline Thunderchicken

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Amusingly clumsy.
Re: Two months to finish...
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2012, 09:49:59 PM »
Tick tock tick tock..... not long to go  ;)

Looking good Andy.
Don't!

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #16 on: May 10, 2012, 08:53:11 AM »
Thanks all,

Don't worry the spice jars are now safely away! A work collegue also presented me with some blue foam... it's going to become the base for this! (I hope!)

Both wings are finished; some internal detailing has also been done.

I have an exam next Thursday (Shit... thats a week away!) So I'm not sure how much of an opportunity I will have to work on this until after that.

Cheers
Andy

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #17 on: May 10, 2012, 09:24:16 PM »
Sorry for the double posting.

After stopping studying earlier today I felt that I needed to do something to relax! So I continued with this build. I suppose the majority of the structure is finished now. The base, the roof and alot of internal details have still to come. But I think you'll agree that you can see progress!  lol

I'm hoping to fill the window on the overhang with a nice frame. I believe a kindly forum member will be lasering me up one. Which reminds me I do need to speak to said individual about getting new counters cut.

Currently I think the wings make the building look quite church like I not Romanesque. I really should have reduced the gradient of the slope. However I think when I create the stepped roof, this might improve the look.

I ran out of foamboard to finish the internal divisions. The plan is to create a row of offices against the back wall, on ground level, and have some steps leading up to a mezzanine level. This level should be removable. The left wing will remain as one large room. I'd like to keep it fairly open plan inside.

The entire model is quite imposing; its approximately 14.5" by 18". A colleague gave me some blue foam, which I think I'll mount it on, and carve steps etc into. Not 100% sure about this yet.

Now I'm keeping my eyes open for bits and pieces use as exhibits. I'd love a dinosaur skeleton for the open hall area. But I've yet to find one which suits. I know frontline are quite good for furniture. Is there anyone else out there?

Cheers
Andy

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2012, 07:33:49 AM »
It is looking great, Andy!
 :-*

I wouldnt worry about it looking 'church-like' if I were you. It will soon be obvious that it is not.

Regarding the dinosaur: I have a nice dino skeleton, (but wish to keep it for a future project!), but I will dig it out, no pun intended, and give you the details to see if you can grab one for yourself.

PM you tomorrow.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2012, 08:37:07 AM »
It is looking great, Andy!
 :-*

I wouldnt worry about it looking 'church-like' if I were you. It will soon be obvious that it is not.

Regarding the dinosaur: I have a nice dino skeleton, (but wish to keep it for a future project!), but I will dig it out, no pun intended, and give you the details to see if you can grab one for yourself.

PM you tomorrow.

Thank you, hopefully not! I'll hoping the roof will fix it all.

Also info on the dino skeleton would be great cheers.

I also forgot to think the rather wonder Mr Dewbakuk for supplying me with the hirst arts pieces.

Cheers
Andy

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 12, 2012, 09:11:47 AM »
Looking great  :-* :-* :-*
You can borrow any of my stuff if you want?
There is a thread some where, from the museum game I ran.
I will have a look.

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #21 on: May 21, 2012, 01:30:49 PM »
So Exams finished and out the way, I can now start to work on this board again.

Things are progressing nicely (in my opinion). I took these photos earlier today. I think they give an idea of the set up and the scale of the museum/library.

The next job is to create roofs for the rest of the adobes. That should be done by this afternoon.

A close up of the museum with the mezzanie level, and several bits and pieces I borrowed from gamer Mac... including his dino skeleton! Cheers again mate! The only 'issue' is that I think that the walkway is too wide; especially at the front. I'm planning on taking a centimetre or two off it. The rear 'section' of the walk way needs to the this wide, for the reasons shown in the next image.

The two small rooms at the back are now visable. I am thinking of making them either a storage room and office, or storage room and small exhibition space. I'm not sure yet.

A complex, based on Matakishi's design for his conan game.

A warehouse (the lower adobe) and a larger building that I'm considering using as a mercantile house. Not sure yet.

Hope you're enjoying so far.

Cheers
Andy

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2012, 03:49:07 PM »
Great stuff Andy. :) 
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline gamer Mac

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 21, 2012, 04:02:13 PM »
Looking good Andy.
Get some paint on them :D

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #24 on: May 21, 2012, 04:18:17 PM »
Looking damned impressive Andy.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #25 on: May 21, 2012, 05:23:46 PM »
Looking very good  8)

Any close ups?

(Windows in the post).

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Online traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2012, 08:45:06 PM »
Thats massive! Look forward to see more  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #27 on: May 21, 2012, 08:55:45 PM »
 :o

Seriously impressive!
You have been working your socks off, Andy.
Great stuff!

looking forward to seeing the finished article.
 ;D

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #28 on: May 21, 2012, 10:21:23 PM »
Thanks for the kind words all.

Spent alot of day working on the board (after finishing some business stuff honest!) but didn't really add anything to the museum... Just the windows on the top floor. I'll show you my work tomorrow. I'm not sure if I'm happy with the results... I think it may look too modern, but we'll see.

Spent the rest of the day finishifng the adobes, specifically the roofs and texturing. Messy business ya'know and is more time intensive than you'd think (or maybe its just me).

Anyway i'll take some pictures tomorrow morning.

Iver the next couple of days its working on the bases; which should be a breeze for the adobes but its going to be a massive job for the museum (I'm planning on cutting stairs at the front and scribing bricks on the sides... As for the floor I'm sure i'll come up with some pattern.

Looking very good  8)

Any close ups?

(Windows in the post).

cheers

James

When i get the window i'll post some pictures. The next job is to mak a stair case; i might wait until this is finished before posting an close ups.

Cheers
Andy

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #29 on: May 22, 2012, 07:38:42 PM »
Yar sorry for the double post.

Ok as I had a business meeting earlier today which went on longer than I anticipated; so I ended up missing a few hours. But still here are some shots of the progress. I'm just after sanding and applying Captain Bloods gloop (TM) to the bases.

Please ignore the bin... this is not, nor will it become a feature of the board.

A better image of the windows, still not happy but they will 'do'. I may well look at redoing them in the future. And yes they still need a little trimming. They will not be glued down... this should help to remove the mezzanine level without destroying everything else!

A gratuitous picture of my hand... proving that the window section can indeed lift out... wow! Excitin' or what?

I can't recall if I've shown this or not, but some of the bits and pieces I've stolen borrowed from gamer Mac.

The Jail/Compound. Notice that I have a little bit of work to do on the tower to hide the hideous gap.

The pit that 'bad' guys get thrown into AKA as the clink.

You can just see the doors in this one.

So still much to do and little time. I'm planning on taking the blue foam into work with me tomorrow. Hopefully I'll get an opportunity to sand it and to start scribing on it!

Cheers
Andy