Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 04:16:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691271
  • Total Topics: 118383
  • Online Today: 606
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: My old west game, Claremore style  (Read 3343 times)

Offline scarabstudio

• Schoolboy
My old west game, Claremore style
« on: January 25, 2008, 09:11:34 PM »
Hello, my name is tyler and I am a lead-o-holic and a first time poster here.  
I have been lurking lately and well first off I want to thank you all for giving me the inspiration to get going on this project of mine :)  I am starting an old west game(using gutshot rules) based on the town that i live called Claremore, OK.   Having  a huge pile of unpainted Warhammer stuff and never playing the game, I decided to switch gears to historical/pulp stuff.  I am hoping this game will be interesting to my friends (who none of them play or model anything), interesting enough that I can get a group going and actually play some games.  The town of Claremore was established in the late 1800's as part of Indian Territory, Oklahoma.  I have many pictures of early Main St, and Claremore in general. I plan to model the buildings after those pictures and most games will take place on main st.   To start things off, I need a gameboard and some painted minis and some buidings.  Digging through a mass of unpainted lead I came across some deadlands figs that I bought about 8 years ago. Throw in Mad Hatter and Deputy Tanner from Black Scorpion and I have my minis. Bought a sheet of blue foam and cut it in half, with some foamboard and popsicle sticks I have started my first building, a general store.   Here is a pic of the working area soon after I started.

I know its not much to see but soon there will be more.   I have 5 minis based and ready for paint, the board is actually painted and flocked.  Just need to build more and paint alot.  I got my battery charger for camera in today, so I will get some more pics tonight.  I am one of those hobbyists who never finish anything and start things all the time, but with this project I will change all of that.  More to come...

- tyler
Well, I'm the seventh out of seven sons
My pappy was a pistol
I'm a son of a gun

Offline DeWolfe

• Assistant
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2008, 09:28:00 PM »
Welcome Tyler. I think your idea of basing your gaming on your hometown is a fantastic one, I wish I could do the same with my hometown. Unfortunatley when interesting things were happening in the general area where my town is there was nothing here but forest (I live in the Ottawa valley, lots of French explorers travelled through here and battled indians but it was wilderness). I am looking forward to seeing more. I am like you in that I am very good at starting projects but not so good at finishing them, or even getting them to a playable state before I get caught up in something new.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2008, 08:42:03 AM »
Hello and welcome, Looking forward to seeing how your project develops. Keep the photos coming. :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline scarabstudio

• Schoolboy
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2008, 08:24:40 PM »
a few more pics..  

Claremore main st. 1885

this was going to be the Boston Store shown in the first pic, but i think it is a little too large.  Will probably just make it the other general store claremore had at the time.

first batch of gunslingers up for painting.  The Mad Hatter mini i plan to use as a villain in some games.

just some base colors on and a little bit of shading.  Lots more to go!

-tyler

Offline BlueWeasel

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2008, 08:30:39 PM »
A friend of mine went to the knife throwing competition in your town
last year.

www.jackdagger.com

He's also got some stuff on myspace

Very talented guy.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2008, 08:42:24 AM »
Who are the gunslingers made by?

Offline scarabstudio

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2008, 05:13:08 PM »
Quote from: "Malamute"
Who are the gunslingers made by?

They are the gunslingers set for  The Great Rail Wars (deadlands) by Pinnacle Entertainment Group. Sculpted by Bob Naismith

Offline mousy brown

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2008, 12:36:22 AM »
Looking good so far and must to be great to be able to tap into real local
history for inspiration and images for your games.

A project I for one look forward to following as it developes.
When you have to shoot, shoot don't talk.

Visit a town called Malice
http://mousybrown.webs.com/index.htm

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: February 07, 2008, 02:54:07 PM »
Wow! What a great idea  :)

Great start on the General Store. I'm looking forward to seeing Claremore grow and turn into a real nasty place to live  :lol:

Offline Aaron

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: February 07, 2008, 03:16:52 PM »
Nice painting and scratchbuilding so far. I'm also working on historic frontier gaming in my local area, but since I'm farther east I have to push the clock back to the F&I era. That makes it a lot easier since I just need cabins, trees, and cornfields!

Keep us posted. I'm dying to see how Main Street comes out and if you can lure some locals into your gaming web.