Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:15:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Snake Totems -Conan Style (a request)  (Read 5136 times)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
  • the rat race is over. the rats won.
Snake Totems -Conan Style (a request)
« on: April 26, 2012, 03:20:16 AM »
Does anyone have any kit bashing leads on any snake charms or totems reminiscent of Conan the Barbarian (the '82 movie)?

I know I will have to make a badass helmet like that myself, but any standard totem ideas- keep in mind it doesn't have to be exactly like the Conan icon, just snakey- with a sort of occult, neo-tribal look that would look well with some butt-lords riding alongside it.

Even models with similar stylized armor. keep in mind though that they should be easy to take apart and kit bash with other metal/plastic kits. Primarily GW and other more modern multi-component kits.

Any sources would be appreciated!

Preemptive thanks.

p.s. Just looked at the GW LotR Fallen Realms minis, I could of swore there were snake themed back poles or something- but I got nothing.

edit: fixed broken link

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
Re: Snake Totems -Conan Style (a request)
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2012, 03:35:28 AM »
I should say too- I'm not looking for banners per se- but actual concrete objects-totems...

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
'I saw the angel in the marble and carved until I set him free.'

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2012, 04:06:31 AM »
I had a chaos warrior miniature when I was younger that had a helmet with two snakes facing each other. I'm pretty sure it was an RAFM mini, and came with two others. In retrospect I think it was a Bob Murch sculpt. Can't find him on RAFM's site though...

EDIT:
Found him in an old RAFM catalogue. He's 25mm though, dwarfed by GW scale figures. :P

That picture reminds me that I used to have quite a few of those guys...
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:14:38 AM by Dr Mathias »
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2012, 04:18:38 AM »
Thanks guys for the contributions so far- that Ourboros statue is perfect for a piece of scenery but I will still have to keep digging for some actual flair for the warriors.

Mathias! Ah! I'm having no luck finding it either, but I will keep looking. Also- you're doing a killer job in the LPL, keep it up! ;)

edit: there we go! purrfect! now if its that hard to find a picture- wish me luck finding the actual mini- yikes

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2012, 04:28:35 AM »

Found him in an old RAFM catalogue. He's 25mm though, dwarfed by GW scale figures. :P

well to be fair- I only want the snakes... I don't, and you shouldn't either, trust my sculpting skills. But I did plan to get commission work done for these guys I'm building. Who knows? Maybe they can sculpt them...

Offline maxxev

• Mad Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2012, 01:16:01 PM »
This one anygood?

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2012, 11:19:05 PM »
This one anygood?

purrfect. +1 max, +1

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2012, 11:23:17 PM »
maxxev's post reminded me of the tomb kings for GW- something I hadn't even thought of yet. found this standard pretty quick-

I like it a lot too.

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
« Reply #9 on: April 27, 2012, 03:35:57 AM »
http://www.reapermini.com/OnlineStore/candle/latest/02580
Reaper has these candlesticks with snakes slithering up their shafts!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: April 27, 2012, 08:06:55 PM »
Have you tried looking for suitable beads?
You occasionally find beads/earrings etc, especially Goth style ones, that might be useful for terrain embellishments.
This one has some steampunk beads (but no snakes at the moment):
http://www.beadsunlimited.co.uk/
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2012, 10:34:56 PM »
and just in case you couldn't guess the theme for my chaos warband I'll give you your final clue,

« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 03:33:20 AM by fanfavorite »

Offline Sterling Moose

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: April 28, 2012, 02:11:44 AM »
just in case you couldn't guess the theme for my chaos warband
Clowns?

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: April 29, 2012, 03:55:47 AM »
Hopefully the regulars who've already posted here will keep checking in because I have another request. And I have dig dug deep to find something suitable with not much success.

As you may of guessed the Marauder champions will be based off Thulsa Doom, Rexor, and Thorgrim- spefically as protrayed by the actors in the '82 film. While I've had great success with finding snakes for totems and helmets (thought keep finding more! I need moar!) I am having trouble finding suitable armor. The Chaos Maruaders for GW all have the S&M barbarian look- chests bared, and while this is perfect for the rank and file horde I need something more for the characterful champions. While not wanting to go for full chaos armor, I am looking for more of the nordic, celt, germanic, light armors/medium armoring. examples as follows:

basic studded leather, great looking for a northman man of influence- but also easy to paint any sigils on or manipulate as I see fit.

basically the same thing here. though this speaks for some variety in your sources. which I hope there will be a plenty.

and finally the priest Thulsa Doom- a little more elaborate here. I might just go with chaos armor for him, and play around with it via green stuff or whatever I can find. BUT if you know something not so full up as the plate armor that is chaos armor, but still heavier- sort of a half plate- that would work (the least amount of design on it the better) I will take it!

Now this might seem so far as the run of the mill easy hide and seek requests we get on the forums all the time, but here's the kicker:

-They need to be as proportional to standard issue GW minis
-They need to be somehow easily accessed from the base mini or kit. I.E. plastic sprues that can be easily swapped or a resin/metal sculpt that comes in pieces or will be easy to gut

Please help if you can and in return I will have some of the test minis up by the end of next month- and yes you'll all be the godparents. 

Offline fanfavorite

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2012, 03:58:21 AM »
*shameful bump

still can't find anything suitable for the torsos- i have the helmets/heads, arms- legs everything worked out. I just need to find that armor.