Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:33:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Need Help with A large SOTR/Incursion game  (Read 3722 times)

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
Need Help with A large SOTR/Incursion game
« on: May 10, 2012, 10:41:07 AM »
I just got my SOTR rulebook along with the doomsday supplement and I'm already trying to come up with Ideas for some awesome boards to play on. A couple weeks ago I saw someone make a board for weird war games with A nazi castle, dinosaur cages and other neat bits and I thought wouldn't that be cool to make.

My idea is to have a nazi occupied castle with town nearby for the axis and allies to fight over. What I want is the town and the outside of the castle to be fought normally but as soon as units go inside the castle it would become Incursion.

What I'm aiming for is to intergrate both of the games into one without it feeling a little odd. I Have a few questions though. How big is a large incursion board so that way I can plan my castle. How could I make most units compatible with Incursion, so not just apes and zombies can fight but also SS and airborne troops. How should I plan my castle. How big should the board be all together. And where can I get a large robotic hitler for the Allies to fight at the end.

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
Re: Need Help with A large SOTR/Incursion game
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2012, 02:28:22 PM »
This sounds cool, Bubbles! The incursion board is designed so that you can place two together side by side. Do you just want to do a single board? I'll get the dimensions for you in 10 hours, once I'm at home.

As far as fielding ss and airborne troops, Incursion and SNAFU have base lines for regular troops and powered armored infantry. So starts with counts as: regular troops would have a similar stat line to the MI-13. Then tweak to flavor: guys with standard issue rifles only get a single DD due to their lower rate of fire.

And Robo-Hitler? Get a Hitler mini, cut off head, place in jar, attach to any robot miniature that catches your fancy!

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: May 10, 2012, 03:02:59 PM »
cool thanks man that would be awesome. does anyone have the Incursion books because I don't have them yet. Have you seen Anatoli's weird war thread on here or westwind forums, he has a dreadnought type walker that I think would look pretty good as robo hitler.

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: May 10, 2012, 05:50:45 PM »
Mark Copplestone does a robot Hitler. It is in the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang range under Evil Geniuses. It looks about 30mm high so not particularly menacing for a robot but great fun!

John

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2012, 07:33:47 PM »
does anyone have the Incursion books because I don't have them yet.

Well, you can pick up a copy from Martin (you'll want to as it has all the markers and, more importantly, the battle card deck):
http://www.littlesoldiers.com.au/

you can get a copy of the rulebook here along with the SNAFU assets:
http://www.grindhousegames.com/pages/downloads

Have you seen Anatoli's weird war thread on here or westwind forums

Sure. I tell anyone who will listen how Alex and I are best internet buddies. It freaks him out!

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: May 11, 2012, 03:00:18 PM »
Good thing you turned me onto mark copplestone again I tottally forgot about him. there is some excellent pieces of scenery, specifically the command centre and missle control sections which I think will look pretty good in side castle von bubbles. I didnt know you could get the rulebook for free that's pretty good.

If only I had friends as talented as Anatoli I could manage to "convince" them to paint my stuff and build terrain for me. :)

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 11, 2012, 03:14:45 PM »
The board is 25.5"x40", but that includes a border. 23.5"x32" of pure playing space is what you're actually looking at. And that is both boards put together.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2012, 11:46:38 AM »
If it's not to much to ask how big is each individual square. I might make it larger than the two boards put together because Im pretty sure there will be more models than a regular Incursion game.

Also does anyone know where I can get a copy of DUST warfare in melbourne or online that isn't out of stock
« Last Edit: May 13, 2012, 11:51:18 AM by Bubbles »

Offline Hat Guy

• Mastermind
  • If you want peace, prepare for war.
    • Superhero Gaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2012, 01:17:13 AM »
Australia was under supplied with Dust Tactics books, we've been trying to get it into Good Games stores for over a month with no success.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #9 on: May 14, 2012, 11:20:23 AM »
Hey it's lucky you stumbled along Hat guy you could answer a couple questions for me.

I want my battle to be pretty big so for SOTR instead of moving units in a platoon individually you'd be moving a platoon at a time, but each side would have more than one platoon.

Because the game would be large does little wars have a set game time and table size.

It's really to surprising we got understocked in Australia, do some of you guys down at the club have a copy of the rulebook so I could see what the games like.

Thanks

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 14, 2012, 05:07:26 PM »
If it's not to much to ask how big is each individual square.
you'll want to do 40mm. That's the biggest base size and the incursion squares are actually smaller than that.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2012, 04:06:01 PM »
I've been rethinking my plans and Im unsure if having SOTR and Incursion on such a large scale would have been possible because they are two wildly different games and it would be hard to have 2 rulesets in the same battle. I still want the castle so I'll still have a playable Interior but you'll probably use SOTR rules.

Because the game is pretty big it would be pretty easy to move to an objective and simply camp on it not allowing the other team to get to it. to avoid this I wanna make the objectives unknown to the other team or at most only a rough idea of what their opponents objective is, also objectives might score differently for both teams meaning they have different priorites (am I spelling that right?). Objectives will most likely be moving such as killing an enemies HQ will get you 3 victory points, Destroying the opponents ammos stores will net you 2. If the objective is stationary like capturing a building it you will be able to blow it apart to prevent your opponents scoring but that's only if you know it's one of their objective's. If your opponent doesn't know your objective it allows you to trick and misguide them with your teammates.

I also want assests to allow teams to do certain things or bring in certain troops to spice up the game a little bit. for example one team might have evesdropping allowing them to know 2 enemy objectives or the Allies can choose to bring in a platoon/couple of sqauds of Helicopter mounted Airborne troops flying in to the flight of the valkyries. The Airborne will get a special rule called shock and awe meaning any unit they shoot in their first turn on the board will automatically become disorganized due to being so surprised that the airborne showed up.

This is all kinda half assed and pretty fractured ideas so what do you think.

Offline robertsjf

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2012, 04:28:49 PM »
Are you acting as Ref? Only tell the objectives for a particular team to that particular team. Make the other side guess what the other guy is up to. I'm all for objective triggering events.

Offline Bubbles

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2012, 11:11:30 PM »
Yes I am going to be ref it wouldn't be fair otherwise. Im sorry if it didnt make sense i was rather tired

EDIT: I forgot to mention that I wanna add ref controlled events like you said so If I feel cruel or benelovent I can change things up.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2012, 09:55:09 AM by Bubbles »