Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:22:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Feldrabbiner and other assorted doings  (Read 9429 times)

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Feldrabbiner and other assorted doings
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2008, 09:33:46 PM »
Quote from: "Col.Stone"
Ahh i thought i had seen them before, very fitting for all kinds of periods indeed
 thanks

You are thinking what I am aren`t you Col :D

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2008, 09:37:14 PM »
Quote from: "Plynkes"

Just started out painting two of them to see if I could manage the whole black burka thing. I thought they would be difficult to paint, but I'm reasonably pleased with how they turned out.

Yours definitely look better than mine. I was rather uncareful when I painted mine. Won't do. Black may be slimming but is very unforgiving.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:05 PM »
Afghanistan, 1980+ :roll:

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
Re: Bethlehem or Bust!
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2008, 09:43:38 PM »

And this lot was done just before the slump hit:

Flynn Patrick O' Flynn, Sebastian 'Bassy' Oldsmith, and Flynn's right-hand-man, Mohammed, with some of Flynn's lads. They've slipped over the Rovuma into German East, to nab some of the Kaiser's elephants. He won't miss a few!

Yes, yes, brilliant and all that... But, the big child that I am, I revel in the fact that you made a marker, which I love making, myself, and that it is a great glistening heap of elephant mess at that, which has made my side ache from giggling! Bravo!

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2008, 09:52:39 PM »
By the way, this is what those figures are based on:

Couldn't be bothered to shave off Roger Moore's moustache. A real 1913 Roger Moore would have had a moustache anyway.

It's funny how elephant poo always makes people laugh. I have a Warhammer Ancients elephant called Stampy, and he has left a deposit on his base. It is the one thing about him that everyone comments on. He was once quite a sensation.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline dominic

• Mastermind
    • http://www.napnuts.com
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2008, 10:00:22 PM »
Lovely work!  Love the tanks and the Tesco and Aldi bags!! :D

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2008, 10:08:07 PM »
Lowtardog, Col. Stone: Something to bear in mind. In Afghanistan burkas cover the whole face, and are blue.

Also, I'm not sure how common they were in the Soviet/Afghan war period. You might see them out in the sticks, but not in urban areas. It was the Taliban that brought them back with a vengeance.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2008, 10:13:57 PM »
Lowtardog, Col. Stone: Something to bear in mind. In Afghanistan burkas cover the whole face, and are blue.

Also, I'm not sure how common they were in the Soviet/Afghan war period. You might see them out in the sticks, but not in urban areas. It was the Taliban that brought them back with a vengeance.

Imagine how stuffy and rank it must get in those synthetic fiber getups. Poor women.

Offline Col.Stone

• Mastermind
    • The compound
« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2008, 10:14:54 PM »
Didn't know about the blue, thanks,
I think the "hillbillies" would have worn them, all depending on who's in charge in the village/area of course..

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2008, 10:28:36 PM »

Thanks Poly I think they are close enough and the indian women would be just as valid for pre-taliban times. From what I have been reading lately there were 7 political parties and 4 were Islamic whilst the others were more tribal so a mish mash would work well as teach of these parties would have commanders with territories under their control and there were 327 in all :D

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2008, 10:53:54 PM »
Hi Dylan,

Glad to see Lawrence at last in a photo pic and very nicely painted too. I just went to the Ned Lawrence exhibit at the Australian War Memorial where they have on loan from Oxford a number of Ned's Arab garments. I'll be heading back there very soon and will take plenty of Kodak moments and will present photos on forum. There is also a captured flag on display from the 46th Turkish regiment and another flag from the Hidjaz  too. There is the jacket and headdress of their commander of the Sharifian regular forces and a number of other items of interest. 8)

Top job on the Rabbi and I love the other figures too. Your not alone with making up figures like the Rabbi and I'm sure there are other folks who view the same way as you do in creating something a little different for the gaming table. In particular, the theme for "Shout at the Devil". I also want to do the German Commissoner and I'll look at him in due time. I've the VHS of the movie and I love watching this from time to time.

I too have had a break from everything and will look to get back into the hobby soon. Too many projects outstanding, but again too many figures awaiting to be released to finish said projects too. However, I do have my craft knife to work on some more conversions. :)

Well done again and my thanks for sharing your story and photos here on this forum.

Best Wishes.
Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2008, 12:08:25 AM »
Thanks, Helen. Glad you liked what I did with your Lawrence. Sorry I took so long to post that picture. He was painted what seems like ages ago (in November, or maybe even October), I just forgot to put up a pic.

Do you think you could get any photos of those flags you mentioned? I've drawn a bit of a blank on Ottoman flags, and have a standard bearer to paint. I have a black and white pic, but no idea about what colours the various elements should be, so the flag I have prepared is completely speculative.

This is what I'm going with at the moment, something I cooked up with a PC graphics application:

The original also has some Arabic script on it, but the photo doesn't show it in anything like enough detail to replicate it, so I've chosen to ignore it. I did the star green simply because you can tell in the photo that it is a different colour to the other details, but of course I have no idea what colour. I plumped for green as it is a colour that recurs in Islam, if you know what I mean.

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2008, 03:33:31 AM »
Hi Poly,

The Turkish regimental colour is all in gold arabic style letters (both sides) on a red damask background.

Now I'm sure you have read "Seven Pillars of Wisdom" and how Lawrence was always asking for supporting weapons (page 283); in particular, when ambushing trains. Just to recap, well he received both Lewis guns and  Stokes mortars and now with these lovely pieces of equipment he received two sergeant instructors. One an Australian named Yells and aptly named "Lewis" an also an Englishmen named "Brooke" and was given the nickname "Stokes". Both experience men with their favourite toy and were happy to teach their new class of warriors.

May I suggest to add further character to your brave band of merry folk in the desert that you included these lovely gentlemen.

I'll try to and take a photo of one of my regimental colours as well. The pole I received from Castaway Arts. For my regimental colour I gave them tassels from the Front Rank Napoleonic accessories, but not for my Army Standard.

Here is my Army Standard:

[/img]

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2008, 08:50:52 AM »
Lovely looking stuff Monsieur Poly :)  Very nicely painted figures. I like your painting style and the carrier bags - inspiring :lol:
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing