Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:38:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689629
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Microarmour: free trees!  (Read 1557 times)

Offline Gunbird

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • With miniatures, anything is possible!
    • 20mm and then some
Microarmour: free trees!
« on: June 07, 2012, 02:07:57 PM »
Wargamers need to get out more. We all know what the average sterotypical wargamer looks like. Not the healthiest of men, is he now.

How to motivate them to get out more? Cause that way they can save money, mans best motivator since there ever was one.

Ok, what am I on about? Well, since i'm forced to downsize my focus has been on 6mm items, and as always scenery is high on my agenda. And because I'm overweight I run 2-3 times a week in the wooded area behind our house. One of the more common trees that grows there is the Alnus glutinosa aka Zwarte Els or Black or Common Alder in English. At the moment these are chock full of dried up female and male flowers, and fall to the ground underneath the trees.

Thx for the biology lesson you say, but what has this to do with wargaming?

Well, the female flower of the Alder makes for perfect micro armour trees.

One tree will shed tons of them so you can just bring a bag ans scoop up as many as you like (they served their biological function anyway so no harm, they are not edible or anything), just make sure you dry them properly. Make sure to bring the stems as well.

After basing I go over them with a 50/50 water and woodglue mix to make sure the wood gets soaked in it so they will last forever. For a basic tree, basecoat them in brown and drybrush them with greens. You could also flock it to create bushier trees. The stems make nice fallen trees, trees for swamps and if you want you can flock those as well creating even more trees.

When drybrushed in other colours they make lovely sci-fi trees for various scales.

So there you have it, not only do you have a reason to get out more, you can find basic trees by the hundreds for free. Whats not to like? :)
Who is Gunbird? Johan van Ooij, Dutch, Mercenary Gamer, no longer mobile and happy to live life while it lasts >> http://20mmandthensome.blogspot.com/

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
Re: Microarmour: free trees!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 04:44:32 PM »
I'm getting into the forest near my house right now!!

That's a great idea, simple, low-cost, and effective.
Once again creativity beats the market XD

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 07:51:31 PM »
Cool tip. I might have to look for some of these ... if I can work out what a Common Alder tree looks like!

Offline Hoplon

• Bookworm
    • Wargames Euskadi
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 09:01:19 PM »
May this help!

Offline Diakon

• Mad Scientist
  • Fancy a Battlefight?
    • My Blog - Tales From The Lead Pile
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 09:19:55 PM »
I've got loads of them cos where I live is very wooded. I haven't used any as scenery though. My girlfriend and I just keep them on our coffee table as ornaments. Now you've given me the idea though...

Offline john Hollyoak

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2012, 09:06:36 AM »
Just used a load of these for my 6mm sci-fi terrain. Not sure how sturdy they will be but if treated carefully they should be fine.

John

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2012, 02:22:06 PM »
NIce - I recall thinking the same thing when I encountered some of those while out walking the dog. Now I need to remember where was that tree - when you're being towed along by an eager Bull Terrier, it all passes in a blur!

And the PVA/water soak should settle the "fragile" issue!
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."