Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 01:34:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Returned after two decades out!  (Read 1910 times)

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
Returned after two decades out!
« on: June 07, 2012, 08:04:23 PM »
Hello good people :)

I've decided to take up model figure painting after a significant layoff (to say the least). I've ordered about £70 worth of 100 years wars rolling into WoTR medievals perhaps with some skirmishing games ahead if I can find a Tyneside club. I'm hoping you can save me alot of money messing about with various makes of paints and techiques before I get to where I want to be.

I used to undercoat with Humbrol enamel choclate brown back in the day, paint faces first, them metals, generally using humbrol enamels with some citadel acrylics thrown in there then sometimes i'd wash clothes/faces with an oil paint and drybrush figure with a white. Id quite often re clothes etc base with a dark colour then drybrushed over with a lighter tone of the same but never more than two colours/multi tones.

I'm wanting to go to acrylics full stop as i have my own home now and whilst smelling my parents keep out with thinners wasnt an issue my own little blot on the landscape is another issue!

Im thinking undercoat brown except for metals (black), but what paints would you recommend gents, water based only no more enamels or oils.

Id be really, really grateful for any help as my little lead heroes are on the way from Front Rank and some random castings from ebay to get me warmed up as we speak :), I'm thinking about just using citadel paint again as its readily available over the counter and im lost on mainstream art shop makes :o

Offline infelix

• Mad Scientist
Re: Returned after two decades out!
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2012, 08:23:03 PM »
I prefer to work with acrylics. The brand isn't a huge deal when you look at the quality. I mostly use Vallejo Model Colors but I have pots from most of the bigger manufacturers, Vallejo, GW, Tamiya etc etc. What I'm usually looks at is the price and if they come in dropper bottle so hence, I went with Vallejo but still use a lot from GW as well.

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2012, 08:28:45 PM »
Welcome to LAF and welcome back to the hobby!

I use quite a lot of Citadel paint myself but have no idea how their new paint range is going to affect my painting... everything's different now, there's not even skull white anymore and they've been making that since 1986 or something. So someone much more serious about painting than I am needs to advise you there.

Offline Froggy the Great

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ...let slip the frogs of war.
    • My deviantArt gallery of painted figures
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2012, 08:37:25 PM »
Being colorblind, I like a triad system like Reaper's paint or (I think) Foundry's.
You, sir, are not allowed to attempt a takeover of the solar system until your octopus sobers up.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2012, 08:39:58 PM »
Welcome back mate, where abouts in tyneside are you? there are a few shops selling paints such as Vllejo and game colour, infact there is a show on in Durham this saturday where you would be able to have a good browse etc

http://www.durhamwargames.co.uk/show/index.asp

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2012, 08:55:09 PM »
Many thanks for the swift response lads. I'm from Benton way m8 :) Good shout on that Durham thing but i got other commitments this weekend unfortunatley.

Skull white - so old school, fond memories :) Think i'll go with the GW stuff to start out with, I assume they'll have a suitable dark brown I can use for undercoating with :)

One other thing is, I used to do all my horses always with an enamel base i.e. humbrol criminson red and then wash with an oil paint, in that case raw umber. Looked absolutley great but I need to keep the sinuses clear, is there a specific method for bringing out the best in our four legged friends? Fella called Mark Moon who used to be connected with connoisseur figures/Peter Gilder showed me that one.

I'm trying to research local knight tabards + colours they used for identification in battle for our area btw if your interested in that sort of thing, so far the Hyltons are looking attractively psychotic and apparently Northumberland had rather wild lordlings around the 100 years war era :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2012, 11:17:59 PM »
Welcome  :)

WotR.....painting guide.... I commend to you:

Captain Blood's painting guide for Perry WotR plastics!

http://www.sdean-forum.co.uk/phpBB3/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=25706&start=15

This subsequently became as article in Wargames Soldiers and Strategy.

My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2012, 11:21:58 PM »
Welcome back, though I hope Fulchester doesn't miss you too much in the net.

If you're on Tyneside, the branch of Modelzone on Grainger Street, Newcastle, stocks the range of Vallejo Model Colour acrylics, and may be a good place to start.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Billythefish

• Bookworm
« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2012, 06:03:30 PM »
Took your advice and popped into Model Zone, fancy they could have closed for the rest of the day by the time I was through.

It'll come back to me but i'm certainly on a learning curve with this painting lark :)