Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 08:19:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Monty's 28mm Napoleonics (Update 13th January 2013: Black Watch finished)  (Read 10033 times)

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Acid test passed !
« Reply #15 on: June 27, 2012, 03:14:16 PM »
This weekend the gaming group I've been playing with for the last months organized a really huge game. It took place in a partly fictional Napoleonic setting and was extremely well prepared by some of the members. They set up a enormous 70 square feet table packed with excellent terrain and beautiful miniatures.

Although I wasn't able to bring in some miniatures I had the pleasure to participate in the game on Sunday. My 44th Rgt. of Foot was appointed to guard Admiral Benbow's extraordinary fort (he played on Saturday and handed it over to me rather undamaged).

Here is the evidence:

I'll not post a complete report. On the one hand there is a gifted fellow within the group who'll take that task. On the other hand I'm not able to tell all the stories that happend during this outstanding event.
But nevertheless I'll post a few line about the English part of the battle on Sunday. If you're interested in it, please take a look at my blog. Here (Link) is part 1 with deployment and some pictures of the table online. Part 2 will follow end of the week.

I hope you enjoy it
Stefan
Please visit my blog: Monty's Caravan

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Re: Monty's 28mm Napoleonics: Picton's 5th Division and some others...
« Reply #16 on: July 03, 2012, 03:37:12 PM »
Part 2 of the game report is online.
If you are interested look here: Link.

The project itself is proceeding rather well. There the three 9pdr guns on my workbench as well as the first eight highlanders. I tested the Black Watch (government) Tartan on them in a slightly simplified way and I'm satisfied. If I'm able to reproduce it, I'll post some WIP pictures in the coming days.

Cheers
Stefan

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 09, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
Well... Although Concern seems to have decreased a bit, I want to keep you in the loop:

Yesterday I finished the first highlander for the next unit I want to paint: The 42nd Rgt. of Foot, later known as "Black Watch". They served in Pack's 9th Brigade at Waterloo, so they are a good follower on the to-do-list. First and foremost they are easier to paint than the 92nd ("Gordon") who wore more complicated tartan.

However I'm really pleased how the kilt turned out and I'll proceed this way. And so with no more ado here a picture which you might judge yourselves:

Some details (buttons) and the highlights habe to be done, but the kilt is finished. On the blog there are some further information about the colours and the painting technique I used.

I appreciate any comment and value any hint or clue.

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: July 09, 2012, 08:57:17 PM »
This is a great post. You have solved my basing "Angst". Many thanks!

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: July 09, 2012, 09:49:23 PM »
nice painting! well done  :-*
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Hubbynz

• Scientist
    • Halfling House
« Reply #20 on: July 10, 2012, 02:59:34 AM »
some of smoothest clean tartan I have seen.

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2012, 10:15:35 AM »
Your miniatures look very nice. I also love the fortress.
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
« Reply #22 on: August 22, 2012, 07:54:32 AM »
Actually I was hoping to be able to present the finished unit of highlanders during August. However things went another way. Because of a small campaing we're just playing I got a set of hussars on the workbench and a unit of Blues in addition. Those units aren't much interesting until now. You all should know deflashed and base-coated miniatures very well.   :)

Nevertheless eight highlanders are finished and I hope you enjoy a look at them:

and a close-up of three of the privates:

This time there are few additional information on the blog. Just larger pictures. But feel free to make a visit. I'm glad about any feedback here or at Monty's Caravan: Direct Link to the post

During the next weeks a plan to finish another eight highlanders and twelve hussars more or less simultaneously. At least the infantrymen are on a good way and the hussar's horses have their base colours already...

Offline Engel

• Mastermind
Wow, great paintjob.

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Re: Monty's 28mm Napoleonics (Update 22th August 2012: Some finished Scotsmen)
« Reply #24 on: November 14, 2012, 10:44:20 AM »
Hi folks,

I've working on my Napoleonic projekt constantly but temporary it was a bit difficult to present anything. Those Highlanders are a lot more work than I thought...

However I finished the next eight of them recently:

The last eight scots to fulfil the unit are piper, drummer, another ensign, a sergeant and the privates for the flank companies. I hope to have them finished before Christmas.

Additionally I finished the guns and the bases for my Royal Foot Artillery. Three six-pounders from the Victrix-set with four crewmen each:

There are some more pictures of the artillery on my blog:
http://montys-caravan.blogspot.de/2012/10/weekly-news-21st-october-2012-foot.html

Next on the workbench are the last Highlanders and then a unit of Hussars. Horses are finished already and the riders will follow after the Black Watch.

Cheers
Stefan

Offline xpalpatinex

• Bookworm
Those are some good looking scots and guns!

Offline Phyllion

• Scientist
    • Diary of a Gaming Magpie
Lovely stuff!

Offline fluffy05

• Scientist
    • One Painters Crusade
Always a joy to come back and look at this log.

The highlanders look extremely good fromt he tartans to the rick red of their jackets.  What is not to like.

many thanks for sharing,

Allan
'The German today is like the June Bride; he knows he is going to get it, but he doesn't know how big it is going to be.' - Gen. Richard "Windy" Gale, 6th Airborne Division Commander

Offline Monty

• Scientist
    • Monty's Caravan Blog
Thanks for the kind and encouraging comments.

Unfortunately my time for this has been dimishing lately, since it has been quite busy at work these days currently. But I stay with it and will keep you up to date.

Cheers
Stefan

Offline Hitman

• Scatterbrained Genius
Some more great looking figures. I like what you have done so far...I too suffer from the same ailment as you do...a full time job and family obligations that cut into my painting time. Thanks for sharing and keep up the great work and tutorials
Regards,
Hitman
 8)
Victory is guaranteed to the last man standing, but always remember those whom you stepped on to get there!!