Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:34:06 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690848
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 16 c Horse barding using Perry Plastics  (Read 10787 times)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
16 c Horse barding using Perry Plastics
« on: June 26, 2012, 10:01:03 PM »
Evening all

I'm a bit new to this so forgive me for any glaring errors!

I'm putting together some early demilancers using Perry and Foundry figures to add to my Tudor army c1513 (April - Nov 1513 in the Calais pale to be exact- that's how much I love it! ).

Hopefully there's an image attached to this but if not, and for more photographs and Tudor ramblings, have a look at my blog;

http://www.stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/

Unpainted as yet but whaddya think?

Stuart

Offline painterman

• Mad Scientist
    • le lay emprins
Re: 16 c Horse barding using Perry Plastics
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2012, 10:40:07 PM »
A warm welcome Stuart,
Great conversion work and look forward to seeing the finished figure.
Simon.

PS _ I would strongly recommend Stuart's blog (I've been a follower for some time), if you've an interest in Henrician Tudors or just viewing some very high class paintwork, modelling and related research - a great read.

Offline Christian

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • ... standing on the shoulders of giants.
    • INCLTVS REX - Late Antique wargames blog
« Reply #2 on: June 27, 2012, 07:39:23 AM »
PS _ I would strongly recommend Stuart's blog (I've been a follower for some time), if you've an interest in Henrician Tudors or just viewing some very high class paintwork, modelling and related research - a great read.

Wow, that was a bloody good recommendation! Thanks for sharing, Stuart. Great work!

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2012, 03:18:21 PM »
It looks nice! Your blog looks great too! There aren't a lot of people who have Tudor collections, sadly. I think I might start one... some day... ::)
\\\"Some are born great, some achieve greatness, and some have greatness thrust upon \\\'em.\\\"

-William Shakespeare

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2012, 05:52:05 PM »
Thanks Simon, you're too kind ! i'd like to make it better by increasing my output a bit but glad it pleases nonetheless.

Having a Tudor collection is essentially a series of compromises, some you can get around with via conversions, appropriate flags or the way you paint a figure and others you've just got to live with.

I don't think i'll see the day where early Tudor infantry are available in long Landsknecht (waffenlock) style coats and to do so with green stuff would take an age so that's the compromise - if you can see/get past that then it's a great army, and a very underrated one at that, there's far more to it than bow and bill which is sadly not recognised / researched well enough to reflect in the variety of army lists that exist out there.

Which is a bit strange don't you think? the number of miniature manufacturers, UK ones at that which simply almost ignore English armies of 1500-1560. Such a colourful period in our history, I know comparatively there weren't that many battles and the skewed view is that we were a bit backward in the arms race but it just isn't true.

I suppose the same can be said of French armies of the same period - such variety of troop types available and yet there are hardly any decent figures to represent French infantry other than landsknecht mercenaries. If only I could sculpt, and had a lottery grant, and time, and a market............

i'll get off my soapbox, silly really as all of the above is the very reason i'm collecting this army;it's a challenge and the reading and research is that much more rewarding - especially when you discover things which you haven't seen or heard of.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2012, 07:37:32 PM »
Well it's certainly an interesting period, and I agree it's a shame it's such a minority interest. I've been following your blog for a couple of years now, Stuart, and am always interested by your conversions and projects. And wonderful single-mindedness. Anyway, good to see you here on Lead Adventure where we're enjoying a bit of a medieval renaissance right now!

I have a sizeable late Tudor collection - sea dogs, swashbucklers, border reivers and so on. But the late C16th isn't that much better catered for than the the early C16th. Apart from the excellent Mike Owen sea dogs for Foundry, there's the old Foundry 'Elizabethan' range - when it's periodically available - but the figures aren't really up to scratch these days. The OG Wars of Religion range has a sprinkling of nice figures amongst a lot of really grisly misshapen ones in mad postures. The ex-Vendel range is pretty good if you like the munchkin-look, which sadly, I don't...  ::)

So all in all, clearly what we need is the Perrys (or maybe Mike Owen) to do a proper Tudor range from say, the Field of The Cloth of Gold to the Spanish Armada, and all points in between  :D

Then we'd both be happy  ;)

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #6 on: June 27, 2012, 09:32:27 PM »
Thanks CB, LAF comes well recommended and has had quite a few mentions on my blog of late so I thought i'd best check it out. I had made something of a glancing look some time ago but wasn't sure it was for a period of my interest but since you've re-titled the headings it's much easier to use and navigate.

Cheek gets you everywhere i've been told  ;) so here goes, as there's a medieval resurgence I don't suppose we could have a few medieval / renaissance avatar images to choose from? i've tried to upload my own but it won't let me so i've settled for this whiskered chap, astounding as he is he's not in armour or a floppy hat  :)

Offline Totleben

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
  • Mad wallah, resident sebastokrator
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2012, 09:58:45 AM »
I really liked your blog and yourlandsknecht painting guide. Truly evocative. :-*

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2012, 11:08:00 AM »
Cheek gets you everywhere i've been told  ;) so here goes, as there's a medieval resurgence I don't suppose we could have a few medieval / renaissance avatar images to choose from? i've tried to upload my own but it won't let me so i've settled for this whiskered chap, astounding as he is he's not in armour or a floppy hat  :)

Interesting thought  :)
I shall raise it with the moderating team and see what we can do, if anything.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #9 on: June 28, 2012, 11:20:52 AM »
i've tried to upload my own but it won't let me

By the way, if you're having problems uploading your own avatar, please check out the thread below... It may help.

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=5779.0

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2012, 12:07:08 PM »
Ta daa  ;D

Floppy hat, AND armour  :)

Thanks for the help, you are a scholar and a gentleman.

Very much glad that the Landsknecht painting guide is of use, i'll make sure I add to it whenever I paint them.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #11 on: June 28, 2012, 12:22:26 PM »
Nice avatar  :D
We're going to see if we can find some volunteers to make up a few more and add an ancient and medieval section to the LAF avatar library. More on this later...

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: June 28, 2012, 12:23:37 PM »
Cool avatar! Who is it? Some army commander?

Offline Stuart

• Mad Scientist
    • Army Royal
« Reply #13 on: June 28, 2012, 02:15:28 PM »
It's a rather interesting chap by the name of Sir Nicholas Carew, courtier to Henry VIII

Here's the full portrait of him in his jousting armour by Hans Holbein the younger;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Hans_Holbein_d._J._059.jpg

He was a courtier and diplomat, not really military as such, he was executed in 1539 for treason though like many others at the time he was rather unlucky and had a few enemies at court.

His father, Richard, came to my interest in his position as Captain of the Calais garrison during the 1513 invasion of France, my effort at his appearance is hopefully attached.

His was an interesting conversion, research and flag finding mission which is summed up in this post and those preceding it

http://www.stuartsworkbench.blogspot.co.uk/2012/04/sir-richard-carew-captain-of-calais.html

That I suppose is an all round example of my ramblings re collecting an under-subscribed period / army above

Stuart

Offline CyberAlien312

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: June 28, 2012, 03:06:25 PM »
I really like those figures! Great paint job!