Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 08:52:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Resin Dungeon sewer, available from zealot miniatures  (Read 15257 times)

Offline tomogui

• Scientist
  • Treading softly.
Re: Resin Dungeon update 13-9, more painted pieces
« Reply #45 on: October 05, 2012, 05:40:32 AM »
I've finidhed the stairs now and I molded them with the small amount of silicone I had left over. Unfortunately I didn't have enough to get the right depth and it only covered the top of the stairs by less than a mm. So that mold went to waste. 75mls of silicone used up and it's about $120 for 1 litre. :'(

One thing with silicon is that it amalgamates with itself quite well. I mean, if the mold wall you made is just far too thin for use, you can do another silicon pour of top of it later (once you acquire some more silicon) to give it more thickness. The mold you made before doesn't have to go to waste.

And in fact, even if it's not salvageable, you can cut up the ruined mold into fine strips or chunks of silicon, and use those to bulk out any other molds you make in future. Just throw them in the mix to extend the volume. No part of the silicon hog goes to waste!

#siliconcheapskate

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: Resin Dungeon update 1 Oct, Stairwell finished, Prison painted
« Reply #46 on: October 05, 2012, 05:58:10 AM »
Thanks!! I always thought about using the unused silicone in the new molds but wasn't sure if it would work properly. With some of the 2 sided molds I've made I forgot to use a release agent and it was quite a mission separating the two parts. I've learnt that lesson, so I thought it would have a strong bond. I've just ordered another 2kg of silicone which should arrive tomorrow so I'll use the new stuff bulked out with some of this wasted mold (not too much though). Thanks for the lesson there :)

(Oh yeah, I'm selling of a dungeon in the sale/trade thread too if anyones interested)
« Last Edit: October 05, 2012, 06:03:58 AM by beefcake »

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #47 on: October 06, 2012, 09:15:17 PM »
I just received a new mold mold box and the silicone so I made up the silicone mold for the stairs and the long corridor section. I'll be molding my dark treeman next which you can see at the bottom of this pic in pieces.

More info about how I molded it on my blog if you're interested.

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: October 06, 2012, 11:00:41 PM »
I wonder if it's difficult to get the staircase piece out of the mould, it's quite deep  ???

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #49 on: October 07, 2012, 01:23:59 AM »
A little work is required but it's not too bad.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: October 08, 2012, 09:33:09 PM »
I made a resin cast and put together my dark treeman. I've already got his basecoat done but that's not pictured. It fits together better than I thought it would. I haven't filled any gaps on this one yet. A few bubbles occurred in this one but I've sorted them out in the mold and the second cast I made last night came out really well. Not really resin dungeon but I thought I'd post it here rather than start a whole new thread. I've already got an Earth Elemental underway on my sculpting bench. Should be finished tonight hopefully. 47mm to the top of his hunch and 70mm to the top of his arms.

Thanks for looking. I'll post a painted pic up once it's completed.

Cheers.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Resin Dungeon update 9 Oct, Dungeon Denizen - Dark Treeman
« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2012, 10:10:20 AM »
I think you have every right to be very chuffed with that.
Duncan

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: October 13, 2012, 01:30:00 AM »
Thanks Dijit. Here's the painted version.

Shows some of the detail better such as the moss and the the wormy thing in the top branch. I think I'm getting better at source lighting shown in the eyes. I also tried to make the back look as if it's weeping pussy sap.
I got a big package from a courier the other day.

My lasercutting from Ponoko arrived. Size comparison against a pen.

I've put a fair amount of it together. My son was using it as a car track, hence the car.

So this is the start of the sewer system. 2 rooms with a large sewer sump (is that the right word?) one is an intersection the other an ending. I've also got some plans drawn up to give these covers so they can be either used as the look or with a grate over the top to walk over. Also sections made for sewer corridor walkways, intersections, T Junctions and endings. I've put together a few different bridges too and also some things I'm going to make into a couple of coffins and a sarcophagus. I think I have a couple of chests in the main photo too. These all need to be sculpted over as these are just the basic forms of them.
More photos on my blog (well not yet but in a few minutes there will be). The big bridge will be modular.

Offline DeafNala

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #53 on: October 13, 2012, 12:35:37 PM »
The Tree Fellow turned out TERRIFIC; both the sculpting & the brushwork are EXCELLENT. I love the glowing eyes. VERY WELL DONE!
I'd NEVER join a club that would have me as a member.  G.Marx

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #54 on: October 13, 2012, 09:29:50 PM »
 :) thanks

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #55 on: October 13, 2012, 11:28:34 PM »
That tree fellow looks great painted up, it's been a long time coming.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #56 on: October 14, 2012, 02:01:53 AM »
Sure has. All I added since the last pics on minisculpture has been the little bits of green moss, more roots I think and the wormy thing in the arm. I think I may even sculpt some alternate pieces from this guy to have more variety for use in my wood elf tree army.

Offline Relic

• Mad Scientist
  • www.lead-space.net
    • Personal hobby blog
« Reply #57 on: October 14, 2012, 08:32:49 AM »
To be honest I like your treeman over any commercial one. It has the right "feeling" to it. Reminds me of the good old rpg times. Are you selling any?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #58 on: October 14, 2012, 10:05:29 AM »
Thanks for that :) PM me if you want one. I only have one cast at the moment (that isn't painted) and I wouldn't charge an arm and a leg although I guess that is all up to personal opinion.  ;) I haven't really thought of a price yet.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #59 on: October 15, 2012, 04:07:27 AM »
I should probably put up the other dungeon beastie I've made. Also seen in another thread.

Still need to make a mold for the scenic base for him.

I've also completed a few more bases. a 50mm base and a 30mm mage base.