Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 05, 2024, 06:01:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Prince Tyrion - rearing mount?  (Read 2144 times)

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
Prince Tyrion - rearing mount?
« on: August 08, 2012, 01:51:34 AM »
Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows how this model was put together?:

I am purchasing the OOP Tyrion model, but I really prefer the rearing mount rather than the regular horse he comes with. I don't find the new GW model as majestic, though I do like the way the horse is rearing. Does anyone have an idea as to which horse figure was used in this conversion?

Thanks!
The Princess Diaries (painting blog): http://painting-princess.blogspot.com.au/
Battle of Frogonia blog: http://battle-of-frogonia.blogspot.com.au/
Z Scale Steam Ventures (model railway blog): http://steam-ventures.blogspot.com.au/

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Prince Tyrion - rearing mount?
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2012, 10:17:31 AM »
Lovely figure and wonderful clean painting.  :-*
Not 100% sure as there seem to be a lot of minor changes going on in that figure.

The horse body and tail are plastics (2 halves chosen from the various supplied with the old Silver Helms box) but the chest armour seems to have been extended forwards. As moulded there is a cloth section between the 2 halves that would be visible from this angle. As it is missing I assume the scale armour has been added.

The horse head could be (at least is very similar to) one of the metal ones from the original Dragon Princes Cavalry figures, one of several variants. If that is the source then the reins have been filed off and new ones added from plastic card/paper.

As I said, not 100% sure, but you should be able to do a very similar thing without too much difficulty.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2012, 10:24:56 AM »
I personally find this pose very odd.  Both of the horses front feet are off the ground but it isn't leaning back at all...seems unbalanced to me.  The paint job on the othe hand is stellar!  And tyrion himself Is an amazing figure...this is the only high elf figure I have in my collection and my paint job is about 20% of this one!

Good luck with your efforts...please share your results.

Blue
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 11:01:02 AM by Blue in vt »
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Dolmot

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2012, 10:56:22 AM »
That kind of horses were mainly supplied with the 1998-ish "new" silver helms. (The previous plastic model used full cloth caparison.) There was one variant with those smaller wings, seen here in the middle. I'd say it's based on that. The dragon head might be chopped off and glued from another copy of Tyrion himself or his original mount. At least it looks very much the same.

Dragon princes of that era had entirely different barding and horse heads so it's not related to them.

The reins might be simply filled and painted. The angle has been cleverly chosen to disguise the inner portion so it could be just the usual chunk of plastic inside.

I should have plenty of printed material from that era so I can check if there are further photos or even a description of the bits used...

Offline Glitzer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2012, 02:25:03 PM »
Mane, tail and body clearly come from a plastic mount (the General from Grude of Drong and the aforementioned Silver Helms had that mounts)

The helmet and sword are the same as on my Tyrion as is the dragonhead on the horsehead. The rest however does not match. I asume the model is clever kitbash with Tyrion's head, Tyrion's sword, and a part of Tyrion's mount's helmet (cut of right between the wings and the nozle  :o ) with an elfen general/hero.

Who ever did this clearly had a great idea, and did some very secure and precise sawing. I'm awed, but would not recommend this conversions for anyone who isn't completley insane and/or a minor god of modelling.

PS: You could try copying the 3 parts needed for this conversion with InstantMold though. Shouldn't be that complicated. It should be legal in Germany for personal use, but please don't ask me about the legality of copying mini parts elsewhere.
« Last Edit: August 08, 2012, 02:48:41 PM by Glitzer »
Far less active than I used to...

Offline Painting Princess

• Scientist
    • My painting blog
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2012, 01:54:11 AM »
Thanks, everyone, for the suggestions.

Thanks Rob, Dolmot and Glitzer, I will see if I can use a Silver Helm mount to get a similar look as the pic. It's definitely a great paint job. I am glad the creator of this conversion put the pic up, it seems a lot more dynamic than the standard trotting-along Tyrion mini.

The head on the conversion horse is definitely the original Tyrion head, it was the body that had me stumped. It will be a challenge to get a non-rearing plastic horse to look like it's rearing without looking "fractured".

Who ever did this clearly had a great idea, and did some very secure and precise sawing. I'm awed, but would not recommend this conversions for anyone who isn't completley insane and/or a minor god of modelling.

Good thing my husband is one of those then, eh? LOL I wouldn't think to attempt this entirely by myself ... Haven't got the best track record with cutting knives and thumbs ...

I personally find this pose very odd.  Both of the horses front feet are off the ground but it isn't leaning back at all...seems unbalanced to me.  

Good luck with your efforts...please share your results.

Blue

I see what you mean about the pose, he doesn't seem to be rearing properly ... will have to keep that in mind when I try my conversion. Hopefully I can get a more natural look ... will see how I go. Thanks, I will definitely put up some pics when I get around to this mini project.

I should have plenty of printed material from that era so I can check if there are further photos or even a description of the bits used...

That would be great, Dolmot, thanks! And thanks for the links!
« Last Edit: August 09, 2012, 01:57:25 AM by Painting Princess »