Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:44:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691056
  • Total Topics: 118367
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Doctor Who 2011 - Update 21 Sept - Impossible Astronaut  (Read 5800 times)

Offline Talysman

• Bookworm
    • Displaced Miniatures Gallery
Re: Doctor Who 2011 - Update 21 Sept - Impossible Astronaut
« Reply #15 on: September 21, 2012, 04:09:02 PM »
Nicely done :)

Offline Onebigriver

• Mastermind
« Reply #16 on: September 21, 2012, 05:48:29 PM »
You're still mad as a bag of cats Steve but great job.
Waiter, my soup is giggling.

Offline aggro84

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Noble Pursuits
« Reply #17 on: September 21, 2012, 06:10:47 PM »
Very cool.

As much as I love your painting style, I really appreciate the time you put into selecting, and often converting, each miniature from so many different sources.

Bravo!

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #18 on: September 22, 2012, 10:21:18 AM »
Thanks, guys.  Glad you're enjoying them.

The obligatory sources post.

Charles is a Front Rank late 17th century infantry officer, with his hat removed.  Matilda is a Foundry English Civil War figure.

The PoW started out as the loader in Warlord's Bolt Action Chindit machine gun team. I cut away the ammo, and gave him a head swap - that's the head I removed from a Musketeer interwar civilian when I was making a figure of Sir Curtis Seretse for Department S.  Waste not, want not!  I added a moustache and did some minor remodelling of the vest in putty.

Laurel and Hardy are both minor conversions from Artizan figures.  Stan is "Mr Peregrine" from the Thrilling Tales range.  I removed his umbrella and monocle, resculpted the now-missing eye, and replaced his necktie with a bow tie.  Ollie is from the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang range.  I resculpted the moustache and mouth, added a bowler, and replaced his bow tie with a neck tie.

The older Canton has a Hasslefree spare head on the body of an RAFM Call of Cthulhu maniac.  Cap, jacket, shirt and belt were all added with putty.

For the astronaut, I started I started with the figure which comes with the Revell 1/48 Lunar lander.  But that's quite tall and thin, and has such soft detail that it resembles a scale model of an astronaut-shaped balloon.  So, I shortened it by cutting at the elbows, waist and knees.  I then added with putty the hood over the helmet, all the tubes and a larger pack on the front, as well as fixing the new joins.

The Silent is one of the Doctor Who Adventures soft plastic freebies.

The younger Canton is from the Copplestone side of the Kiss Kiss Bang Bang range.  I filled in the hollow cheeks of the original with green stuff.  The transparent Police Box is from Ainsty Castings.

The government agents are from Brigade Games' Atomic Café 1957 range, with Hasslefree spare heads.  President Nixon is a Ral Partha Shadowrun detective, with his cigar and gun removed.

Poor old Joy (who never even got a chance to wash her hands) is a "down and out" from Dixon's Gangsters range.  Her hair, glasses and jewellery are putty.

The Silent menacing her is made from a Preiser plastic 1/50 model railway/architectural model figure in a suit.  I cut through the waist and all the joints and used brass wire and putty to reassemble the figure in a grotesque, elongated pose.  I also sculpted a new head and bigger hands.  Finally, I textured the suit with streaks of Liquid Green Stuff applied with a cocktail stick.

The crouching Silent in the next picture was made in much the same way, but with a head swapped from a Doctor Who Adventures freebie.  The other Silence are all DWA models.

The Kennedy Space Center security chief is "Harold Smith, White Collar Survivalist" from RAFM's USX Modern Day Heroes range, minus his shotgun and bag.  The USAF sergeant at Area 51 is a Wizkids Marvel Heroclix model of General "Thunderbolt" Ross.

Dr Renfrew is a Foundry Old West civilian.  I removed his gladstone bag, hat and spectacles and resculpted the top of his head.  I also cut away his pocket watch - he is now looking at the words "Get Out" written on his wrist, but I couldn't get a good camera angle to show that.

The little girl is from the "Delancy Street Characters" pack in Pulp Figures' Gangland Justice range.  I cut away her doll and the bow in her hair and sculpted on some scummy clothes over her nice neat dress.

Next time: "The Curse of the Black Spot"
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: September 22, 2012, 01:20:30 PM »
 :o :o :o

Bloody hell, Steve!

That was certainly a lot of work with all those conversions.
You continue to amaze me with your dedication in getting everything right.
Astounding!

Offline Chairface

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2012, 03:23:31 AM »
Wonderful Steve!