Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:06:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690588
  • Total Topics: 118338
  • Online Today: 840
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Bombshell Miniatures KickStarter  (Read 3489 times)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
Bombshell Miniatures KickStarter
« on: September 07, 2012, 07:41:02 AM »
Like I said in the other thread, everyone and their uncle...
http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/bombshellminis/bombshell-babes

I wonder if the D-cup is more @ "strong" or @ "iconic". I suppose the former, since "iconic" seems to be more @ taking what' been popular lately and running with it (a case in point: contrast "Maelee" with "Lily" from McVey/CMON Battle for Alabaster -- not that anybody can own IP rights to a busty tech grrl with a huge spanner of course).

Anyhow, I'm just getting bitter & sarcastic in my dotage since this project looks popular enough... And the possibility of a retro scifi range if all goes well does rise my expectations for BsM a little.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
Re: Bombshell Miniatures KickStarter
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2012, 12:44:31 PM »
I think the Maelee mini looks better than the McVey one, which went off the top.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 03:46:55 AM »
Definitely interested in The Girl, but my experience with Patrick Keith has been hit or miss (though he generally does good work). I'd really prefer to see his finished product (well, greens anyway) before buying.

Might still sign up anyway if I decide I like some of the minis which are still blanks.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 09:40:52 AM »
It seems like a very confusing kickstarter.  I like the figures but i am not really sure what you get at the $100 level  sedition wars gave you much more even a game, This is only a 3figures and some pin up cards and a bonus mellee figure?
Barbarella: What's that screaming? A good many dramatic situations begin with screaming...
http://bandit86.blogspot.com/

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 01:01:39 PM »
Agreed.

Either I don't understand it well either, or the minis are very expensive.

Offline ryoden

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 01:53:02 PM »
I thought it was four figs at first but further down it looks like you get 7 figs and a tshirt for $100.  Although that is still expensive at around $12 a figure and tshirt I wouldnt want.  I think we have been spoiled by the recent 200+ figures from reaper for the same price.
The richest man is not he who has the most but he who needs the least.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 04:07:29 PM »
Yes, these big fellows with more money have sort of spoiled things for the little one-man outfits.

$10 for a good figure is hardly unheard-of, but try offering that on kickstarter and out come the grumbles.

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #7 on: September 09, 2012, 05:52:07 PM »
Another possible concern with this KickStarter (as with several other ones) is that the announced minis seemingly belong to several periods and genres. If they are excellent it can be OK for showcase figurines painters, but not all of us play is all these different settings. Of course there's always swapping with friends and ebay, but from this viewpoint the Eureka100 Club and WF Liberty league are more friendly.

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 05:42:51 AM »
Yeah, that's my problem exactly. I'd only be interested in fantasy-type models. None of the modern or future ones.

Also he seems to peg that exclusive Maelee figure at a value of $30! Maybe it's better than the McVey "girl with big wrench" (that remains to be seen), but "girl with big wrench" is REALLY not a particularly new or original concept. There are a lot of cost-effective alternatives.

At any rate I get a kick out of his claim to be making strong women. These things are as cheesecake as any regular pin-up type minis.

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 07:08:36 AM »
At any rate I get a kick out of his claim to be making strong women. These things are as cheesecake as any regular pin-up type minis
I assume it's supposed to be ironical. Either that or a nice show of "have no clue".

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 04:54:41 PM »
McVey can be hit or miss for that kind of thing, but I'd say a much better example of a miniature that convincingly looks like an actual tough, legitimately combat-ready woman is any version of their Captain Kara Black.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:57:08 PM by FramFramson »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 05:15:42 PM »
TBH, I don't actually care what the intention is, I only care that they are good sculpts of cool concepts that I would want to buy.

At the moment, there is a lot of "junk in the trunk" by way of pin-up cards, tee-shirts and the bullshit of not being able to request specific models at every pledge level.

That, for me, is their big failing.  :?

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 05:58:34 AM »
TBH, I don't actually care what the intention is, I only care that they are good sculpts of cool concepts that I would want to buy.

At the moment, there is a lot of "junk in the trunk" by way of pin-up cards, tee-shirts and the bullshit of not being able to request specific models at every pledge level.

That, for me, is their big failing.  :?

Agree. The only version of getting 1 mini is larded up with those stupid cards which they are making you pay for.

Offline bandit86

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 06:52:58 AM »
With all the bonus that other kickstarters have given, this seems to be really falling short. From what I understand at the $100 level I will get some cards a tee shirt a meelee mechanic figure and not all the stretch goal figures just a choice of 3 out of 9 is that about right. that's like $25 per figure not much of an incentive.
« Last Edit: September 11, 2012, 06:56:22 AM by bandit86 »

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 10:26:18 AM »
@bandit86:

Well, even without freebies and incentives, it's just a crap deal. And for a forced selection of mis-matched models which you have little choice in.

I mean, as a gamer/painter why would I care about the non-model stuff? And apart from gamers/painters, who else is this KS aimed at?