Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 02:12:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691076
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: fed up with stupid blog posts & ebay listings.  (Read 11190 times)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Re: FED UP WITH STUPID BLOG POSTS!!!!!! AND BLOODY EBAY
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2012, 10:17:40 AM »
I've been linking to my blog, because I did'nt know we could now upload pics until a minute ago. And 2 to 3 pics? Sorry to disappoint you, but that's usually more than I'll do for my own blog.
Add what you have :)
Besides, unless you're running a blog that generates money and is desperate for the cash, you can probably post the whole entry here and get far more feedback and praise than to hide it off somewhere. And people will probably go to your blog and read more in the end.

I agree with RedZed (despite the capital letters). Courtesy and giving people the option to look at your thread :)
However, it doesn't upset me as much as the bazaar-cowboys filling up page after page with their stuff and never ever giving a donation to LAF:

Offline Major_Gilbear

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • God-Emperor of Dune
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2012, 10:20:24 AM »
Pix or no pix, the post should have content that's worthy of posting on it's own merits.

Links, or uninformative/shallow "teasers" do not fall into this category IMHO.

If pix are available, and integral to the content, they should be clearly linked/included at the discretion of the poster.

For ebay sales threads however, 99% of people have pictures of what they're selling available - because they've put the pictures up on the auction page itself. To not put them up here at the very least is just outright rude. Not not mention my earlier feelings about ebay auction links being posted at all.

In fact, the only time I'd be okay with an ebay auction link is if it is to highlight a very rare or unusual item - like an original pre-production unreleased lead Epic Warlord Titan for example (last partial one sold on ebay a few years ago for something like £700...).

Offline white knight

• Galactic Brain
    • WK's Miniature Imperium
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2012, 10:21:50 AM »
However, it doesn't upset me as much as the bazaar-cowboys filling up page after page with their stuff and never ever giving a donation to LAF:

or posting on any of the other boards. :?

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2012, 10:42:32 AM »
You can't make people donate, and you can't make people post. Maybe they see thigns different, maybe they just have anything to contribute, and maybe they don't want to donate, so what? It's their choice, so it's a moot point :)

Offline Steve F

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Pedantic bugger, apparently.
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2012, 10:46:51 AM »
Speaking of forum rules, shouldn't this be on the "About Forum" board?   See also the forum rules about acting politely and not using all caps in titles. ::)

Like others, I've raised the blog point before and the Prof has made his ruling.

But the amount of traffic on the forum is increasing, and it is getting more and more irritating.  Of a morning, after marking everything on the bazaar as read (because I have no money to buy anything), I still find typically 3 pages of unread post titles since the previous evening.  Being out of work, I have more time to look through them than most, but even so I'm having to be more selective.  So If I click on a "blog advert" post, that may be at the expense of seeing something from someone who has gone to the trouble of posting substantively.

The best I can offer is the following set of guidelines that I'm following now, and which others might like to consider adopting:

1. If a LAF post has a précis of a blog entry and a picture or two, with a note that more can be found on the blog, I consider that as appropriate conservation of bandwidth.  I may well follow the blog link if I'm interested.

2. If a LAF post contains only an admonition to go and read a blog, I will not follow on to the blog, so the poster has been wasting his time as well as mine.

3. If I click on repeated "blog advert" posts from the same poster, I will not open any further LAF posts from that person.

If I ever have money again, I'll adopt a similar approach to Bazaar posts.  

If enough of us act this way, it ceases to be worthwhile to make posts of the offensive kind: they don't generate enough blog traffic or ebay bids.

If we don't, it shows that, collectively, we aren't all that offended after all.
Back from the dead, almost.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2012, 10:48:22 AM »

You said "From now on posters should put the term "(BLOG)" in the topic title otherwise the post will be deleted " isn't this a little harsh and against the spirit of LAF?
well can we at least shoot the offender?
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2012, 10:55:58 AM »
Speaking of forum rules, shouldn't this be on the "About Forum" board?   See also the forum rules about acting politely and not using all caps in titles. ::)
ye I'm guilty :D

this is polite as I get ;)

I couldn't find the 'About Forum' (really I just couldn't find it, ever lost anything right in front of you?)

I really didn't know about the caps ruling :( ( sorry)

I blame White Knight, he made me do it. ;)

Offline Bugsda

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: fed up with stupid blog posts & ebay listings.
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2012, 11:05:05 AM »
Fuck! Am I on TMP or LAF.................confused now  ???

If it's Frothers someone will call me a c*** any minute now  lol
Well I've lead an evil life, so they say, but I'll outrun the Devil on judgement day.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2012, 11:36:37 AM »
We had “Links but no pics” debate already and we have some ruling there:
http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=29435.0
I definitely not keen about starting that discussion again, so please leave it.

Also nothing is going to be deleted.

Though I get your point, Shaun, and I am going to have a thinking session about the [blog]-note-in-the-title-demand. This probably could be a possible solution.

Ebay posts..I’m working on some specific Bazaar rules. Some things will be changed for sure also for Ebay-auctions. Don’t expect anything very soon as I still need some time. But definitely this year, it’s a promise. So please be patient. Everything (or almost ) is going to be good soon ;)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2012, 11:55:58 AM »
The way things are going lately LAF now stands for the "Lead Auction Forum."  :)

I come here to see photos of my colleagues minis. That is all I am really interested in. All the chatty stuff I can find elsewhere. It's the content which makes this forum stand apart.

Of course, can't do much about what folks post, and with the increasing membership that comes to a lot of stuff. But trying to find the "content" is becoming difficult.  :'(

Is there any way that threads such as the Bazar of Obscurities can be eliminated from the "unread posts since last visit?" Perhaps as an option in the User Profile?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2012, 12:01:45 PM »
Is there any way that threads such as the Bazar of Obscurities can be eliminated from the "unread posts since last visit?" Perhaps as an option in the User Profile?

How said, Ray, things will be changed. They won't be disappearing from "the unread posts" list but you definitely will be able to differ Bazaar threads from the rest.

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2012, 12:09:21 PM »
Cheers, Alex!

I have nothing against the Bazar and in fact have used it myself, btw.

But anything which can help users like myself zoom in on the real content quickly will be gratefully appreciated.

Offline The Dozing Dragon

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • The Little Soldier Company
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2012, 12:23:20 PM »
If we lost the Bazaar my wife and bank account would be happy  ;)

I post links occasionally to my blog.....eg when I went on hols and there's about 30 pics of a medieval French castle....posting all the pics here would surely take up a load of space (technical phobia precludes me going into more of an explanation on that)......

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
« Reply #28 on: September 14, 2012, 12:54:04 PM »

Also nothing is going to be deleted.

I know ;)
that was more tongue in cheek than serious, although nobody has complained that I advocated shooting some of the culprits lol

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #29 on: September 14, 2012, 12:55:20 PM »

The best I can offer is the following set of guidelines that I'm following now, and which others might like to consider adopting:

1. If a LAF post has a précis of a blog entry and a picture or two, with a note that more can be found on the blog, I consider that as appropriate conservation of bandwidth.  I may well follow the blog link if I'm interested.

2. If a LAF post contains only an admonition to go and read a blog, I will not follow on to the blog, so the poster has been wasting his time as well as mine.

3. If I click on repeated "blog advert" posts from the same poster, I will not open any further LAF posts from that person.

I tend to do that anyway but I agree with the sentiment of most that it is bloody annoying, especially as my work hours can be rather bloody long sometimes. So having a finite amount of time to spend here (never really go anywhere else), I have to pick and choose, which might mean I miss out on a gem (it's happened a few times now  :( ).

I'm sure Alex will come up with a rational solution for the problem  :) 
although nobody has complained that I advocated shooting some of the culprits lol

I did think about it for a second...  lol

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/