Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 06:44:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: New to F+IW (Just dipping in a toe)  (Read 2423 times)

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
New to F+IW (Just dipping in a toe)
« on: September 15, 2012, 11:34:56 PM »
I was wondering if you good folks could give me some advise. I like look of French Indian Wars and love the figures. I would like to have a little dabble in the area, just to see if I like it, so to speak.

I would like to know if there are any rules sets out their especially designed for very small games (say 8-12 aside)? I have no desire to paint a few dozen or more figures only to find out that this era isn't for me.

Also can you recommend internet resources, websites, blogs etc where I might find more information on the era, and look at well painted minis to get a bit of inspiration.
Theres more 28mm Superhero Madness at my blog, http://fourcoloursupers.blogspot.com/
And for Ultra-modern Wargaming check out Hotel Zugando at http://ultramoderngaming.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
Re: New to F+IW (Just dipping in a toe)
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2012, 11:52:22 PM »
For rules:  Brink of Battle
                Muskets and Mohawks (2 hour wargames)
                Long Rifle (2 Hour Wargames -- more RPG than straight combat)
                Gloire with Among the War Parties supplement (Rattrap Games)

Figs and info:  Galloping Major Miniatures
                      Warlord Miniatures
                      Conquest MIniatures
                      Redoubt Miniatures
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2012, 04:07:55 AM »
Mr. Bresnen,
I have been playing and collecting F&IW figures for many years.  I have mostly Dixon and Redoubt figures (1000s).  Look up Fort Duquesne on this site to see one of the games I run.

There are figures from these companies that are F&IW or can be used for that period (SYW):

Dixon Miniatures,
Redoubt Miniatures
Eureka figures (Australia)
Old Glory

The rules I use for squad level (10 figures) to company level are the Brother Against Brother rules for ACW.  But these simple rules include a F&IW variant that works well for 1-3 hour games, depending on the number of players and figures. 

If you have any specific questions I can answer, please email me.

Thanks,
Curt Murff

Offline GordonKhartoum

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2012, 07:39:26 AM »
I would like to know if there are any rules sets out their especially designed for very small games (say 8-12 aside)? I have no desire to paint a few dozen or more figures only to find out that this era isn't for me.

Muskets & Tomahawks is designed for around 20 odd figures per side. Its easy to learn and fun to play. Units are generally 6 to 12 figures strong. There is no reason why you couldn’t play with a unit of 8 figures on one side and two of 6 on the other to test it out. Add extra figures if you enjoy it.

An alternative set of rules that is a little more detailed but perfectly suited to the same game size is This Very Ground.

I like both sets.

For figures Warlord now stock Conquest in the UK. Very nice detailed figures that would mix with some of the Perry AWI.

On the larger size Redoubt and Galloping Major mix well. This is my preferred choice as I find them easier to paint and the Redoubt range is extensive.  There is a very useful painting guide on the Galloping Major site & Lance is very helpful in getting players started.

What you will need is plenty of terrain as we find that this really makes a big difference to the game.

Hope this is useful

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: September 18, 2012, 12:24:55 AM »
Hi Rob

I have just started on the French Indian War trail but rather than sticking a toe in I think the whole leg got pulled in...

In the last 3 months I have gonme a bit overboard on figures, terrain and believe it or not I have actually managed to play a few games of M&T.

The group I game with have had some great fun (at my expense - but it has been worth it)

For bits and bobs on rules, terrain, figures drop in to my blog - shedwars and say hello
 - www.shedwars.blogspot.com

click on the French Indian War link unless you want to look at everything else?

In the next 24 hours I will be posting the first piece on my fort/stockade construction

Eric

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #5 on: September 18, 2012, 12:59:30 AM »
Eric,
It is very easy to have the "...whole leg pulled in.." as you mentioned when populating your armies for a period.  I am the butt of many jokes among my associates for the absurd number of F&IW (and ACW) figures I have accumulated. 

I also have built many forts and buildings for both periods and have been joked with about building enough F&IW terrain to depict most of the (the state of Pennsylvania) territory from Virginia to Fort Duquesne: Fort Neccessity, Jumonville Glen, Braddocks defeat, (planning Fort Lionier), Bushy Run and several smaller forts from the period 0f 1750 to about the period of 1812.

Recently Lance from Galloping Major "...pulled my leg..." and I purchased all of his figures with the first order, and am now expecting a second order of his fine little men.  I have painted a few of the approximately 90 figures from the first order I received and they are a pleasure to work with. 

My insanity has developed so that I have all the British and French regiments that were historically on the continent in the F&IW, each represented by a 30 -40 fiigure unit (...or two) and many of the provincials and native american tribes represented with small units.  I admit there are too many to use for a game, but I continue to build the ranks as new figures come out or I encounter a sale.  Be careful of the cliff and going over the edge!!

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
« Reply #6 on: September 19, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »
Hi,

I use Song of Drums & Shakos for my rules. They are from Ganesha Games, and are best exactly at the size you state. I have been using them for my games in this period for a few years now. My modifications are relatively few and straight forward. I port in one rule from their more modern set, along with one or two from Ganesha Games' fantasy set -- Song of Blades & Heroes.

The best part of this set is p,ayers are constantly making decisions that affect the game. Plus, it is simple enough to teach in a half hour or less.

Mike Demana

Offline Rob_bresnen

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: September 25, 2012, 09:14:05 PM »
Thanks for the tips guys- very helpful.

I have just bought Tomahawks and Muskets because I like SAGA and it's by the same guy. Now I am looking for figures. I have looked at all the ranges that you have recommended, and they look very nice- especially galloping major and Conquest.

I have seen some size comparison shots,and that was very helpful, but my question is, are there any ranges that, due to the scale differences, absolutely should NOT go together?

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2012, 11:15:06 PM »
Redoubt and Galloping Major work together, Perry also work but have a leaner figure. From what I have read Conquest are smaller.

Eric