Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 03, 2024, 08:56:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Goal System: Delves - First Adventure  (Read 7175 times)

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
Goal System: Delves - First Adventure
« on: September 17, 2012, 04:19:47 PM »
Hey gang,

We had our first adventure of GS: Delves on Saturday night. Feel free to check out my blog for a break down of the adventure.

http://basementmotive.blogspot.ca/2012/09/delves-haven-uncovered-adventure-1.html

Cheers,

Tenz
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 08:33:57 PM by Tenz »

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
Re: Goal System: Delves - First Adventure
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2012, 06:57:57 PM »
Since your not the only blogger who doesn't seem to understand how easy it is to actually post content here on LAF, rather than giving us an irritating link with no tasters/teasers, I've decided to show you (and the other bloggers) just how easy it actually is. This took me all of 2 minutes. It is actually worth reading, but people can't be bothered to when they have to click a link that may take them to God-knows-where for the very real possibility of reading crap content.
Since what you have to say is worth reading, please a teaser/taster next time, so people will actually read it.
Duncan

The first game of Goal System: Delves kicked off on Saturday night and it was a blast! We had a few minor hiccups but the game was well received and enjoyed by all! I created the adventure around my adaption of "Return to the temple of Elemental Evil". A 3.5 D&D campaign. I have ran the module a few times over the years and thought it would be a great fit for Delves. I changed the name of Hommlet to Ironridge as I have a few players who have done the original module from first edition and didn't want to give the adventure away off the bat.

First off lets introduce the cast. We had four players.

Chris made a Dwarf Fighter: Wild Slayer called "Grabthroat Shinkicker"

Marc made a Human Ranger: Archer called "Orin Darkseed"

Ken made a Goblin Thief: Acrobat called "Gore-don Goblin"

Jason made a Human Priestess: Cleric called "Alyanna Waystone, Priestess of the Moon"

The adventure started in the region of the "Highlands of Pondu" in the world of Onyx. The Characters have decided to head to the area to avoid the political strife that is happening between the Alliance (Dwarven, Human and Elven races) as the Highlands stand removed from such turmoil.

This leads the characters to the town of "Ironridge" our starting place of the adventure.

(Some of you may recognize this as the map for Hommlet from D&D)

As the characters are meeting at the local tavern the "Crusty Beard". The Captain of the guard arrives with a frantic brunette and approaches the heroes. After a short dialogue and a few "Social checks" they discover the brunette is "Yolonda", the wife to the old woodsman "Gareth" who has been missing for he last few days. The characters find out he was last seen harvesting wood from the "Frostpine" two days. Yolanda explains this isn't normal and the Captain explains his militia has been stretched thin with the recent wolf attacks on the towns lives stock and other reports of missing townsfolk. The heroes except the challenge. After a few "You have my axe" and "you have my bow" quotes they head out in search of Gareth.

Encounter 1 - The Missing Woodsman
After reaching the Frostpine the day quickly passes and the heroes opt to rest for the night and continue the search at daybreak. While Orin was on watch the adventurers come undersiege from a pack of Wolves lead by two Dire Wolfs.

The Dire Wolf was much quicker then Orin anticipated and the beast was quickly on the ranger.
Orin's fast act to yell a warning awakened his fellow companions

The Heroes awaken to find the Wolf pack advancing.

Groggy and half awake the heroes ready for the wolf attack.... (read more on his blog)

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2012, 07:27:37 PM »
Hey Duncan,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll be sure to do this next time.

Tenz

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2012, 07:31:56 PM »
Hey Duncan,

Thanks for the pointer. I'll be sure to do this next time.

Tenz
And while we're at pointing, please provide an absolute link to the actual post you're referring to and not just your blog's general URL. =)

*stops pointing and commences reading*
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2012, 07:42:19 PM »
Now that this is out of the way, some comments on the post itself :)

I like how the system allows for an RPG-Lite feel with simple speech checks for conversations in taverns etc. It's always nice to be able to interact with NPCs instead of just bashing through a dungeon.
You have made good use of Descent and Hero Quest materials, makes me glad I haven't sold those games off yet, especially the Descent dungeon tiles are great (although I think the art style is kinda meh ;) )

Maybe you could write a short report about your general opinion of Delve, I'd be certainly interested as I played HQ, AHQ and WHQ a while back, all which were lacking something and had their own shortcomings and now I'm looking for a new dungeon crawler after playing in the 20th century for a year :)

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2012, 08:43:22 PM »
Hi Cherno,

I hoping to get some time to do more of a gameplay/ruleset style of review later this week. But untill then you can check out this entry which does a review of an encounter for Delves.

http://basementmotive.blogspot.ca/2012/08/goal-system-delves-scratching-surface.html

Cheers,

Tenz

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2012, 09:23:25 PM »
Cheers! I like the character creation, fast and simple as it should be. I just read through The Department, it uses the goal System too and it seems like a flexible, fast system with lots of options and room for house rules. I'd have liked to see it using D12s or even D20s for better granularity but I guess this is taken care of to a certain extend by the Goal System itself.

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2012, 01:33:32 PM »
Its funny you mention The Department as one of the guys in our gaming group is hoping to have an adventure for it in the fall. I expect it will be a laugh as well. The thing I like about GS is you don't get bogged down with the rules as you can with other games. Everything is quite simple and easy. Alot of the times you just have to check out a rule once or twice and your set.

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2012, 06:21:01 PM »
Jason, superb work!  Thanks!  If anyone has any Delves questions I'd be happy to answer them.

Thanks for your interest!

--Scott
Scott P.
http://scott-pyle.tumblr.com/
http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

======
"The world breaks everyone, and afterward, some are strong at the broken places."

--Ernest Hemingway

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2012, 10:48:45 PM »
Since your not the only blogger who doesn't seem to understand how easy it is to actually post content here on LAF, rather than giving us an irritating link with no tasters/teasers, I've decided to show you (and the other bloggers) just how easy it actually is. This took me all of 2 minutes. It is actually worth reading, but people can't be bothered to when they have to click a link that may take them to God-knows-where for the very real possibility of reading crap content.
Since what you have to say is worth reading, please a teaser/taster next time, so people will actually read it.
Duncan

While a bit hostile in tone you do have some points worth knowing.  Too bad I find the tone offensive and that affects how I will view you subsequent posts/words. 

I probably wouldn't click on the link "teaser" or not.  I base my decision on to click or not to click on the subject matter (and my own parochial interests) itself which is why I seldom follow links on LAF.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2012, 11:36:41 PM »
Simple unique question : is there some solitaire rules included in this game ?

I'm a fan of supersystem v3 (wich I'm a proud owner and supporter  :D ) but I'm also having hard time finding people to play this game...Solitaire option would be great (for both SS3 and your new game).

thanks

Offline Tenz

• Librarian
    • Basement Motive
« Reply #11 on: October 19, 2012, 02:23:44 PM »
Simple unique question : is there some solitaire rules included in this game ?

I'm a fan of supersystem v3 (wich I'm a proud owner and supporter  :D ) but I'm also having hard time finding people to play this game...Solitaire option would be great (for both SS3 and your new game).

thanks

Hey Sundayhero,

Their isn't any solitaire rules per-say but you could fairly easily make up a some rules based on the baddies drive, etc. To determine how they would react in a skirmish. Something random with a few D6 could be adapted fairly easily with the system.

In other news the I had some Delves models arrive yesterday and they are phenomenal! I took a few quick pics and put them up on the blog.

http://basementmotive.blogspot.ca/2012/10/gs-delves-amazing-sculpts.html

Here is a a pic of one of the models, the Oni Mage.

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: October 19, 2012, 03:18:09 PM »
Really nice figures ! And it's so nice to see METAL for an old school gamer like me  lol

Concerning rules, too bad. I'm not a rules master, so I guess I'll wait for 2HG dungeon crawling game with integrated solo rules; even if I'm pretty sure GSD is great (if it's just as good as SS3, it's a great game for sure).

thanks

Offline fourcolorfigs

• Mastermind
    • http://www.four-colorstudios.com/
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2012, 04:35:00 PM »
Really nice figures ! And it's so nice to see METAL for an old school gamer like me  lol

Concerning rules, too bad. I'm not a rules master, so I guess I'll wait for 2HG dungeon crawling game with integrated solo rules; even if I'm pretty sure GSD is great (if it's just as good as SS3, it's a great game for sure).

thanks

Thanks!  I am working on solo rules; if I get them to a state where I feel I can release them, I will place them on the Four-Color Studios web site.  I intend to post regular updates to Delves with new content there.

http://www.four-colorstudios.com/

Not much content now, but that will change once I am done wrangling this Kickstarter.

Offline obsidian3d

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • o2media
« Reply #14 on: October 19, 2012, 05:22:32 PM »
That IS an awesome looking model, really cool. Great photos of your game too.
obsidian3d
www.o2media.ca