Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 07:00:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: A Town Begins  (Read 2037 times)

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
A Town Begins
« on: September 28, 2012, 04:43:49 PM »
You'll have to scroll way down the link to see a few photos I've posted of the town I am scratchbuilding to match to my miniatures collection.  The wild west has moved to the front of the line.  Will clearly to take a while to complete.  Here's the link:

http://steeplechasingzebras.blogspot.com/p/the-wild-west.html

Encouragement to continue progress gladly accepted. ;)

Offline Cherno

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: A Town Begins
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2012, 06:22:44 PM »
It' a good start and it looks like a big part, namely the buildings, has already been tackled, so that's good for motivation :)
I think your town looks fairly uniform so far, it could use some more buildigns of different shape, the church is a good example. It helps break up monotony :)
The grass green ground is something I don't see often in Old West games, most just use normal brownish prairie. I guess this is because the Old West is commonly depicted as having occured solely in deserts and dusty prairie towns, while in reality I expect it to have occured in a variety of landscapes and climates, including the greener pastures up north (where else would the cowboy's horses have found enough to eat? ;) )

Offline Tomitchoe

• Assistant
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2012, 06:23:19 PM »
COOL ! Keep it up... Looking forward to the next stage...
If life is a waste of time... and time a waste of life... then lets all get wasted together but have the time of our lives...

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2012, 09:22:39 PM »
Great stuff!
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline FifteensAway

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2012, 06:42:38 AM »
Ah, yes, the Hollywood variation of "the west".  Yes, I use movies as a primary source for inspiration - to a point.  But I don't do what so many production companies do (did?) and limit myself based upon union restrictions that keep shoots within a certain distance of L.A. - and thus all those desert themed movies since even L.A. itself would be a semi-arid place if it weren't for turning the mighty Colorado River into a dry bed at its ocean outlet.  But I also don't plan to have a billiard base for my town, neither!  lol  There will a more naturalistic coloration one day. 

And, yes, there will be more variation in the town - and several churches.  Why, so many of them steepled places that there just might be a scenario or two based on rival congregations getting up in arms over which part of Sunday to hold services.   >:(  And, of course, those varied roof lines will help a good deal.  Just wait and see.  And what wasn't in any of the photos were the many private homes that will be part of the town a-building.

Huge project - with no progress likely throughout October (something to do with a script and a writer, maybe) - that will take a long time to get done.  So, thanks for looking and words of encouragement.  They will be needed before Boot Hill gets fully populated.  Yup, I plan to build a hill in the shape of a boot and plant a cemetery smack dab on it.   ::)