Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:27:44 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: KAR and British Askaris - Brigade or others  (Read 5220 times)

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
  • Balding bloke with a 'V'
    • Svenns Little Men
KAR and British Askaris - Brigade or others
« on: March 08, 2008, 10:48:48 PM »
has anybody got any pics they can post of these?

Only some are pictured (poorly) on the Brigade site and I dont want to order some just to see them properly. I would like to see the pillbox cap option if nothing else.

I am half tempted to go with the Copplestone Schutztruppe and paint them as Brits but that is just not cricket. Is it?

Any thoughts?
"A jewelled sceptre plucked by order to serve their cause"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2008, 11:41:08 PM »
These are Brigade:

Don't go with Schutztruppen. That would be crazy. I know I'm always going on about it, but I'd really like some KAR without that blessed neckflap get-up. Most photos have them in a simple pill-box hat and with bandolier equipment and machetes, but figure manufacturers always chase what's in the Ostafrika Osprey*.

*There's another Osprey with the sort I like in it, why couldn't they have copied that?

Edit: Sorry about the big pic, I couldn't be bothered to edit it down to a forum-friendly size. I'm a bit tired. Next time, eh?

Also: When I asked Lon about the ones listed as wearing pill box hats he said they were the same as the others only in different poses, which was somewhat disappointing. I've not seen them with my own eyes, upon receiving this information I decided not to buy them.
With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2008, 09:03:17 AM »
thanks Plynkes

it would seem you have already trodden the path I am currently navigating.

I can see that the neck flaps give a good sense of location/heat thereof and once you start with them you have to include them on all the range but I would really prefer uncovered fez's.

My big hope was that "pillbox cap" were going to be cover and flapless

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2008, 10:04:36 AM »
Yeah, seems odd that they list them like that, referring to the headgear in a different way when it is the same as in the other packs. But that's what Lon said, so I believed him. Lord knows why he chose that peculiar wording though, it's bound to cause confusion as it definitely makes you think they have different hats.

Still, the ones I have are nice figures. There's absolutely nothing wrong with them, aside from the fact that a couple of fussy blokes wish they were wearing different gear.

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2008, 12:40:10 PM »
Hi Guys
I dont think there is much choice here.
I have both the Brigade snd Battle Honours figures,the Brigade are much better no question,crisper cleaner and have more variation.
I agree Plynkes that  it would be nice to have ones in Fez,however none of the books on the subject seem to be able to agree or are not consise about the uniforms.
Also taking into account the supply problems, terrible climatic conditions ,and in theatre modifications made it would be
impossible to say who was wearing what when,bit of a who cares for me..
Better  I think to have the German Askaris look a bit different to KAR ,and leave it at that.
I will say that effort should be channelled towards the Terrain rather than miniscule uniform discussions,it is better bang for your buck.
Most pictures of terrain for this period look horrific,like an after thought bought from a Aquarium centre.
No one will look at nice figures if the terrain is pathetic .
Regards

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2008, 12:45:55 PM »
Svenn
Almost forgot .
The Brigade KAR,and Germen Askris are quite large.Not bad mind just bigger ,my mate Rolf prefers the larger figure as do I
Regards

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2008, 12:48:21 PM »
I am going to order them - including the "pillbox" so I will confirm Lons comments when they arrive. I want some more Wolseley's anyway and nobody will have any at Triples next weekend.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
« Reply #7 on: March 09, 2008, 12:53:09 PM »
Cool. It would be nice to know for sure. Even though Lon told me so, I'd like to see it with my own eyes. Do post a pic of these figs if you get the chance please, Svenn.

Offline Svennn

• Galactic Brain
    • Svenns Little Men
« Reply #8 on: March 09, 2008, 03:54:22 PM »
The order is in and I will post pics when they arrive.

Whilst we are on "gripes" - was the rifle only used like a spear in this period? There is not a single figure in a firing pose!

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: March 09, 2008, 08:20:31 PM »
Hi Guys,

Sorry for not posting sooner but my service provider had a melt down yesterday.

Brigade Games as mentioned by the other members are the better figures to work with. I believe there is more scope for further inclusions in the range. Its actually missing a few items.
I've raised this issue on another forum (Brigade games Yahoo Group) about the KAR and their necks flaps. By regulations on operations they are suppose to wear it, however thats by the rules.

I've a number of references showing them without the neck flap too.

For me what I'd like to see are Rhodesian Native Rifles with Martini Henry and other KAR with basic webbing and Lee-Metfords and with the tall and short pill box hat wiithout neckflap.
Please do voive your support for additional KAR on Brigade Games Yahoo Group.

Brigade Games

Best wishes,
Helen
Love many things, for therein lies the true strength, and whosoever loves much performs much, and can accomplish much, and what is done in love is done well (V van Gogh)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2008, 12:15:54 AM »
Ah, our old friend the Grey Towel again!

I just read a part in "Tomorrow th world"where the protagonist cadet Prohaska of the Austro-Hungarian navyclaims that neck flaps were so detested that the otherwise rigid officer allowed for them ro be torn off.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2008, 12:57:38 AM »
Not my period but Helen they look great :mrgreen:

Offline VonAkers

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2008, 08:55:17 AM »
Hi Helen
Thanks for the feedback clearly you are the best informed source here.
The figures in your pics are superb,and theres lots which is what I like.
I am waiting on the Sikh command from Lon at Brigade ,does anyone have an eta ??
I picked up some Nigerian figures from Battle honours which ars also quite nice figures.
If anyone has any interresting ideas or dicoveries regarding East African Terrain let me /us know.
Regards

Offline Helen

• The Grey Heron
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: March 10, 2008, 09:31:08 AM »
Quote from: "VonAkers"
Hi Helen
Thanks for the feedback clearly you are the best informed source here.
The figures in your pics are superb,and theres lots which is what I like.
I am waiting on the Sikh command from Lon at Brigade ,does anyone have an eta ??
I picked up some Nigerian figures from Battle honours which ars also quite nice figures.
If anyone has any interresting ideas or dicoveries regarding East African Terrain let me /us know.
Regards

Hi von Ackers (great name by the way 8) )

I like big units for my Sideshows of the Great War games and especially for German East Africa.

There are some great collections on this forum and some very talented folks too who have a passion for this adventure. Me being one :love:

Lon informed me that the Sikh command are on the designers workbench so hopefully we shall see them soon. I'm looking forward to seeing them as Lon took my suggestions for the Sikh command pack (so shoot me if you don't like the arrangement 8) )

My Sikhs of which I've over 100 are awaiting this pack. I did purchase some Castaway Arts Sikh command in addition from Gerry Webb. They fit in nicely and I had some spare 303 lee enfields to equip the SNCO.

I've two packs of Brigade Games Nigerians which i need to work on sometime soon after my other few hundred Brigade Games figures to paint :cry:

God Bless

Helen
PS: By more plastic plants  8)

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2008, 01:58:36 PM »
Nice. 8)

I could have sworn that towel was green!! :?
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin