Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 08:24:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Chief Chingachgook passes away.  (Read 1809 times)

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
Chief Chingachgook passes away.
« on: October 23, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2221587/Former-American-Indian-Movement-activist-Russell-Means-dies-72.html

Some sad news regarding Russel Means who has passed away.

Russell Means, a former American Indian Movement activist who helped lead a 1973 uprising against the U.S. government and appeared in several Hollywood films, has died. He was 72.

Means died early Monday at his ranch in South Dakota, Oglala Sioux Tribe spokeswoman Donna Solomon said.
Means announced in August 2011 that he had developed inoperable throat cancer and was forgoing mainstream medical treatments in favor of traditional American Indian remedies and alternative treatments away from his home on the Pine Ridge Indian Reservation.

One of the Greatest fight scenes in a film and the reason as a kid that the French and Indian War has interested me until this day.

Great Spirit, Maker of All Life. A warrior goes to you swift and straight as an arrow shot into the sun. Welcome him and let him take his place at the council fire of my people. He is Uncas, my son. Tell them to be patient and ask death for speed; for they are all there but one - I, Chingachgook - Last of the Mohicans.

Offline Colonel Tubby

• Mastermind
Re: Chief Chingachgook passes away.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2012, 07:21:44 PM »
Sad news.

He lead an interesting life that I was unaware of.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 12:33:28 AM »
My father's family differed with AIM in some ways while acknowledging the injustice of the "peace" that comes with losing the wars.  Radicalism always creates as many problems as it purports to solve.  I will leave it at that.

As for the man, no matter what you felt about his activism and tribal 'politics' (which like most politicians (in the generic sense, not the occupational sense,) evolved over time,) you knew he was a "true believer' in his cause and should be honored for that.  Never doubt his intensity in his belief that he was doing what was right.  So much innuendo and claims about his life will possibly never be clarified now that so many participants in the less savory aspects of the times and events are dead but I will choose to remember him as a man ("warts and all") that tried to live out what he thought was his calling as an American Indian.  Sad to hear he was unable to beat the  "C" with native treatments.  He would have loved the irony of that (although he might have preferred the term rightness I think) if he had won against cancer without the white man's medicines.

Sad.

Rest in Peace, sir.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Papa Spanky

• Scientist
    • Geek in the Basement
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 03:18:48 AM »
Sad news indeed. I own his autobiography "Where White Men Fear to Tread". Worth a read if you want some insite into the man and his beliefs.

Offline Galloping Major

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • www.gallopingmajorwargames.com
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 08:36:29 AM »
Well said you chaps. He's certainly a loss to the film world.

www.gallopingmajorwargames.com

Offline flags_of_war

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Flags of War
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:53:40 AM »
Sad news indeed. I own his autobiography "Where White Men Fear to Tread". Worth a read if you want some insite into the man and his beliefs.

I'll check it out. Cheers