Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 11:04:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689257
  • Total Topics: 118267
  • Online Today: 605
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The Kurganova sisters: VSF with an attitude  (Read 11411 times)

Offline SBRPearce

• Mad Scientist
    • "The Cellar-Dweller" blog
Re: The Kurganova sisters: VSF with an attitude
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2012, 02:23:47 PM »
They're "Reich-Stripperz". Now, if that's to your taste, that's fine and dandy, but it takes more than rivets, goggles & a corset to make it Steampunk.
from Mr.Vampire: "It's the paintjob that makes the miniature fight harder not the size."

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2012, 06:09:14 PM »
Agreed. I find that style of over-the-top weaponry seriously off-putting, too. It just looks ridiculous to my eyes. The dog is nice, though.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #17 on: November 07, 2012, 08:07:56 PM »
A little harsh but not inaccurate.

It was a little harsh, sorry, and I would like to point out I wasn't calling abdul666w a 40k perv, just naming the style :)

Steampunk rather than VSF, I agree and plead guilty of inaccuracy: their dress reflect a society of civic and cultural equality / equal opportunities à la late 1960 - early "70. This is a distinguishing feature of Steampunk, causally correlated with the 'weirder' science and technology, both reflecting an  earlier divergence from our time line than in VSF settings. Hinterland Hussarettes are on the opposite VSF-compatible.

I'll grant you the punk element, but I can't see anything 'steam' about those figures. The dystopian element that drives 'proper' steampunk is very much a core principal of 40k, but that's the punk side again.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #18 on: November 07, 2012, 09:54:43 PM »
Steampunk rather than VSF, I agree and plead guilty of inaccuracy: their dress reflect a society of civic and cultural equality / equal opportunities à la late 1960 - early "70. This is a distinguishing feature of Steampunk, causally correlated with the 'weirder' science and technology, both reflecting an  earlier divergence from our time line than in VSF settings. Hinterland Hussarettes are on the opposite VSF-compatible.

But 'bad' and 'on an off day'? This is a purely personal opinion. <snip>

Of course it's a "purely personal opinion" because it is fiction unlike historical figures where the nit pickers can at least compare it to something that can be verified.  Any discussion of SF/VSF/Fantasy lacks (sometimes mercifully) any historical occurrence for the grognards to argue endlessly about.

Since I prefer VSF to Steampunk it's only natural that I might have an opinion the steampunk true believers (aren't we all on something?) would think errant.  It's my opinion and it's worth what you paid for it.  Nothing.

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2012, 10:02:31 PM »
Agreed. I find that style of over-the-top weaponry seriously off-putting, too. It just looks ridiculous to my eyes. The dog is nice, though.

I was politely not mentioning the guns.  But since it was brought up there are many oversized guns on SF (and some VSF) figures (yeah, yeah, futuristic  ultra strong, ultra light materials...  gravity compenators... ) to the point where it is worse than the grossly oversized weapons found on too many fantasy figures.

Again another purely personal opinion that is worth zero centavos/cents/pence/galactic credit bits...

Still, at the end of the day - you like them you should support this guy/gal and buy them.  They have a certain style despite my lack of appreciation of it.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
    • Lacepulp & High Adventure (board)
« Reply #20 on: November 08, 2012, 09:21:48 AM »

I would like to point out I wasn't calling abdul666w a 40k perv
It's the 40k part that would have offended me lol

I entirely agree with the silliness of GW-inspired oversized weapons which spoil many otherwise rather good fantasy minis (I don't care much for Sci-Fi ones)>:(.

Now in too many historical figurines the heads, hands and feet are oversized (Foundry SYW French come to mind): if I had to choose... well, think Tin Man then :D

Btw, as for minis of GW inspiration, are not the LAF Bruegelburg ones as Mordheim-compatible as, say, the RG Fantasy Kurganova ??? ?

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2012, 08:02:40 PM »
Btw, as for minis of GW inspiration, are not the LAF Bruegelburg ones as Mordheim-compatible as, say, the RG Fantasy Kurganova ??? ?

Ah, but they aren't pervy, or VSF :)

To be honest, I don't have an objection to that fantasy Kurganova, it's quite nice. Clothes are a bit tight for the level of flounce but it's not bad and she's at least covered up. Still not VSF though :)

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2012, 12:03:42 AM »
Never mind the weapon length, those legs are suffering from serious scale-creep!

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2012, 05:39:44 AM »
Never mind the weapon length, those legs are suffering from serious scale-creep!

Agreed. The legs are a bit excessive. Especially the lower part of the shin. I can't clearly distinguish the knees on some of them but the distance from the calf muscles to the ankle joint seems to be where the elongation seems most noticeable.
Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #24 on: November 09, 2012, 02:13:48 PM »
Wrong: they are in-scale for someone like Adriana Karembeu (1.26 m of legs out of a total of 1.83 m):  (linked as  'url' rather than 'img' in case some judged the innocuous pic 'NSFW' lol).

it takes more than rivets, goggles & a corset to make it Steampunk.
I do not see any rivet :D

they aren't pervy  ... she's at least covered up.
'Pervy'? 'Covered'? To be honest, since we are chatting happily among friends, I totally fail to understand (perhaps because I'm not a religious fundamentalist?) this negative attitude, as if the female body was intrinsically obscene / shameful or whatever. And nowadays with our street invaded by women in 'great veil' -with a hood under the hijab, just like European women during the Middle-Ages:

(certain Safe For Work / Wife, so I posted it as an image ;) )
well, I'm turning really allergic to such prejudiced attitude >:(
Perhaps also because I remember so well the late '60 - early '70, certainly the happiest period of whole French history
Françoise Hardy
Lt Ellis
By then cultural equality was (almost) reached (for a time) here and women could sunbath topless just like men, rid from the 'Abrahamanic' taboo on the 'intrinsically obscene / shameful' nature of the female body. Nowadays one feels pushed back to the Middle-Ages.

Perhaps also for a part because I'm French. In all public parks in France we have (since the late 19th C.) 'Ancient fashion' statues such as:
Promeneuse
Le secret
Centauresse et faune
Sphinxe
For as far as we can remember when children we strolled and played around such statues: so when women started sunbathing topless on French beaches, no one here was really shocked.

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2012, 08:33:00 PM »
I have no problem with scantily clad ladies and even less with naked ones  ;)

I don't particularly feel a need for them in my miniature collection though, especially in VSF, where the standards of the time would have made such things ludicrous. Steampunk is a little more open but I think it goes too far in many cases. The traditional fantasy chainmail bikini is a good example. I have no problem with someone wanting the figure, nor with someone dressing that way in real life if they want to, I dislike it with my figures because it's stupid due to the whole lack of protection.

Offline abdul666lw

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: November 10, 2012, 03:45:05 PM »
Indeed steampunk settings have to have diverged from 'our' history far earlier than VSF ones, since sciences and technology are 'weirder'; as a butterfly effect the 'new' technologies had plenty of time to impact on the society, including on women status. and thus freedom of dressing: from
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tPxajzP-2jQ
to (roughly) the equivalent of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rf55gHK48VQ
and then of
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SbyAZQ45uww

Re the chainmail bikini, don't forget wargaming figurines are not intended to be individually scrutinized under a magnifying glass, but to be seen en masse from a distance: essential distinguishing features have to be... outlines / emphasized. Otherwise how could you tell a swordmaiden from an Elf -traditionally androgynous? ('All Elves are faggots', any Dwarf will tell you; actually IMHO it's because half of them are adult female whose sexual development is blocked by the pheromones of reproductive females, a nice natural trick to control the population growth of a very long-lived species -I could even be 'Popperally correct' and make a prediction successfully submitted to attempted falsification -but I'm really drifting off-topic :-[)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2012, 05:01:53 PM by abdul666lw »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: November 12, 2012, 11:06:54 PM »
OMG, Nancy Sinatra,the one hit wonder?  LOL! 

Cultural differences do not constitute superiority.  They may but that become almost political/religious in nature and I will not violate any rules to carry that discussion any further.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: November 12, 2012, 11:17:50 PM »
<snip Steampunk stuff since I basicaly ignore it and have no expertise in that>

Re the chainmail bikini, don't forget wargaming figurines are not intended to be individually scrutinized under a magnifying glass, but to be seen en masse from a distance:

Glenn:  Not true if you count skirmish games/rules where WYSISWYG often rules (pun intended.)

And historical figures should reflect a semblance of historical verity - I allow Fantasy some slack, although without magical intervention physics should still apply, ditto SF with VSF pseudoscience replacing "magic." 

essential distinguishing features have to be... outlines / emphasized. Otherwise how could you tell a swordmaiden from an Elf -traditionally androgynous?
<snip one version of Fantasy>

Glenn:  Elven figures are not all androgynous - that is a sculptor choice.

Again, you like the figure, please buy it.

If I was given that figure it would be traded/Ebayed without hitting my shelves.  Not because it is bad (which it may be) sculpting but because it would not fit in with my figures.

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: November 12, 2012, 11:24:06 PM »
<snip>

There you have me.  I refuse to play GW games, buy their rules, and (until I decided to build Spanish VSF and put them on Venus,) buy their figures.  My Achilles heel was the lizard men plastic figures.  They were perfect and I succumbed to the Ebay tempting.  Hence I have no idea how well they fit.  If they do then GW gamers should consider buying these figures if they fit into their armies.

Call it a personal decision that does not reflect negatively on those who do play/buy.

Gracias,

Glenn