Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 07:40:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Masquerade New Releases  (Read 5074 times)

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
Masquerade New Releases
« on: March 18, 2008, 10:34:24 AM »
just discovered some very nice new minis from Masquerade.

more here:
http://www.battlefield-berlin.de/shop/index.php?list=WG42

Butch Dog

Padre Gecko

Antonius Van Teufin

Wepe Nipe (Kaltes Wasser)

Besessene Frau (possesed woman)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 11:15:47 AM »
Love that priest with the crossbow :)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 11:36:49 AM »
They are all pretty sweet. The only thing I don't like is the huge shotgun/pistol affair on the fourth fig. Otherwise, very nice sculpts.  :)

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 05:50:17 PM »
I´ve got a batch of those "Vatican Hit Men" painted up. Will have to finish the bases so I can show them off. Pricey, but very nicely done with just minuscule mould lines.

The arms on the Crossbow Padre are a pain to put together, though, but should work using an epoxy.

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:35:52 PM »
Very nice. The powered cross is interesting. 8)
He that trades Liberty for Security will soon find that he has neither.

Benjamin Franklin

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2008, 11:24:36 AM »
Speaking of the Vatican:

Is there a manufacturer that makes Catholic Priests, Bishops/Cardinals, and maybe a Pope wearring the garbs seen at the Vatican (long robes with coloured sash and 'hat'-thingy)?

Swiss guards in full dress and modern service-dress would be a cool thing, too... imagine a scenario where some evil organization is attempting to abduct the Pope, steal an artifact, etc....
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2008, 11:29:17 AM »
Quote from: "Argonor"
Swiss guards..

Just as an aside, I never really got the Swiss Guard. I mean, I thought the Swiss were practically the founders of Protestantism, so could never get my head round them being the Pope's bodyguard. Have I got this wrong?  :?:

Still, I guess mercenaries don't have much time for questions of doctrine when there's a big bag of cash in the offing.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2008, 12:05:22 PM »
Speaking of the Vatican:

Is there a manufacturer that makes Catholic Priests, Bishops/Cardinals, and maybe a Pope wearring the garbs seen at the Vatican (long robes with coloured sash and 'hat'-thingy)?

Swiss guards in full dress and modern service-dress would be a cool thing, too... imagine a scenario where some evil organization is attempting to abduct the Pope, steal an artifact, etc....

Westwind Priductions make a Vatican hit squad comprising priests etc and a Bishop in mitre and robes. Not sure abou the Swiss guard.

Offline tbroadwater

• Librarian
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2008, 04:32:50 PM »
wow, those look really interesting to paint..I really like the first two and if I pick up the preacher I would remove the extra houses to knock out some the steampunk aspects...great find!

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 09:06:24 PM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Swiss guards..

Just as an aside, I never really got the Swiss Guard. I mean, I thought the Swiss were practically the founders of Protestantism, so could never get my head round them being the Pope's bodyguard. Have I got this wrong?  :?:

It stems from the time when the Swiss were some of the best mercenaries around. Lots of contries had Swiss units - at the time of the French Revolution, there was a Swiss Guard in France, too (red uniforms).

Later, it was prohibited for Swiss to take foreign service, with one exception...

Theit current full dress uniform is supposed to be the one designed by Michelangelo, btw...

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 09:46:59 AM »
Thanks for that. I love that "with one exception" bit. The exception being the only organisation/state that can afford to buy their exclusivity.  :lol:

Offline marrony

• Mastermind
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 06:59:30 PM »
Very nice sculpts....do you think some of them are resin?The gecko one much so??
'The night is gone and the sword is drawn.And the scabbard thrown away!' -Cry of the People by John G Neihardt.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 07:50:40 PM »
Quote from: "marrony"
Very nice sculpts....do you think some of them are resin?The gecko one much so??

AFAIK, there are limited-run resin variants, which are somehow more expensive (about twice the price) than the pewter variants - don´t know why, probably they have better detail. Couldn´t see much difference at the convention where I saw them, apart from a truely terrible pink resin.

All the above figures are available as metal figures as well.

Offline pierrebi

• Scientist
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #13 on: April 02, 2008, 08:36:57 AM »
Quote from: "JollyBob"
Swiss guards..

Still, I guess mercenaries don't have much time for questions of doctrine when there's a big bag of cash in the offing.

Not many of the visitors to Rome, who pose for a photograph in front of the Swiss soldiers on guard at the gates of Vatican City, are familiar with the history of these troops who take an oath of loyalty to the Pope. To know more we must go back to the period of the Renaissance and discover the motives that in 1506 caused Pope Julius II to invite to Rome the Helvetian soldiers, renowned for their courage, noble sentiments and loyalty. Many centuries earlier the great Latin historian, Tacitus, had said: "The Helvetians are a people of warriors, famous for the valour of their soldiers." This is why the Swiss Cantons, as allies first with one side and then with another, played such an important role in the history of European politics. In fact as allies of Pope Julius II in 1512 they helped to shape Italy's destiny and were granted by the Pope the title of "Defenders of the Church's freedom". In those times, when to be a mercenary soldier was a commonplace occupation, there lived a people of warriors in the very heart of the Alps. The first Swiss Cantons had about 500,000 inhabitants and formed an overpopulated country, where, because of the precarious economic conditions of the times, there was much poverty. There was no choice but to emigrate and one of the most profitable jobs was that of a mercenary soldier abroad.
the complete article here: http://www.vatican.va/roman_curia/swiss_guard/swissguard/storia_en.htm

Offline twrchtrwyth

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Don't join dangerous cults: practice safe sects.
    • Deeside Defenders
Masquerade New Releases
« Reply #14 on: April 02, 2008, 10:06:21 PM »
Weren't the Helvetians a Celtic tribe? :?