Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 05:54:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargaming 19th Century Wars?  (Read 4768 times)

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
    • Kingscarbine Miniatures
Wargaming 19th Century Wars?
« on: November 29, 2012, 01:55:22 PM »
I was reading a thread on Wargaming Nineteenth Century Europe 1815-1878 by Neil Thomas and began thinking about all those post Napoleonic wars that could be very interesting to game. Had a look at Wikipedia and the list is very long.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_wars_1800%E2%80%931899

If you had the figures, what would you wargame?

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
Re: Wargaming 19th Century Wars?
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2012, 02:19:35 PM »
Texas Revolution 1835-1836 and I have the figures. ;) :D
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

workerBee

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2012, 03:10:32 PM »
 o_o

That's pretty late in the 19th Century for me - I usually cut off around around 1820 when Mexico successfully revolted from Spain though if I get my retirement hobby plans into late Phase two (just finishing Phase 1, inventoried and storage boxes) - I will be (re)adding 1861 - 1863 ACW in 1/600th scale.  :)

I know where to get the miniatures for that!  :-*  8)

Gracias,

Glenn

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2012, 07:17:31 PM »
French intervention  in "espana" (1823) !
Franco -austrian war of 1859
china 1860

and .......first carlist war (there is miniatures but time is missing!!)

regardds
paco
« Last Edit: November 29, 2012, 07:22:40 PM by pacofeanor »

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2012, 07:56:06 PM »
Started the First Carlist War, then of course other projects got in the way!

However, the conflicts in the 'At some point' list include Taiping Rebellion, Opium Wars, First Schleswig-Holstein, Italian Unification Wars, I'd quite like to do something with the Belgian Revolution but I might have to expand it a bit, and the Boxer Rebellion.

Plus any others which catch my interest later, as they probably will.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2012, 10:48:59 PM »
French intervention  in "espana" (1823) !
<snip>
and .......first carlist war (there is miniatures but time is missing!!)

regardds
paco

Both of those sound more a little interesting but I would need to find "looks like" figures is a large scale - small size -  (I have pretty much stopped buying anything but 1/600th scale for anything but skirmish.)

Gracias,

Glenn
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
« Reply #6 on: November 30, 2012, 11:11:24 AM »
I have a long list that include most wargamers favs like Crimea, ACW, FPW, "Colonial"... But I'm beginning to get interested in some obscure South American and Iberian wars. My current project is  the 1st Carlist War but I'm already planning to use some of the figures for the Portuguese Civil War, 1826-1834.

Top of the list at the moment at the moment:
- Portuguese Civil War
- Paraguayan War
- Mexican Campaign
- "Scramble" for Africa
- 3rd Carlist War
- FPW

Other growing interests:
- ACW
- Civil Wars in Argentina and Uruguay
- War of the Pacific
- French Conquest of Algiers
- Crimean War (other fronts)
- Sudan
- 1st Sino-Japanese War

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: November 30, 2012, 02:05:42 PM »
My list topper would be the Cisplatine War, in part because I have excellent refernence material. It's relatively small, the troops are quite colourful, features land and naval battles. I even bought a box of Perry French Napoleonics to convert to Argentines but an absence of really suitable Brazilians and some of the more colourful cavalry types has made me put the thing on hold. Were I to win the lottery......

Number two would be the 'Canudos War'. Millenialist religious leader and anti-republican leads a motley collection of the rural poor in the backlands of Bahia. The Brazilian government sends four expeditions, each larger than the previous one. The first three are defeated before the last finally defeats Antônio Conselheiro and his men. The magnificent seven in the sertão. The contemporary account by Euclides da Cunha is one of the great works of Brazilian literature and you get cool French style uniforms and a whacking great Armstrong cannon for the final campaign.

Lately I've been drawn to the War of the Pacific, after visiting Peru earlier this year. Fascinating conflict both land and sea and there's quite a lot of source material out there. It's also quite a raw wound in Peru.  Cool uniforms too. That said I'd put it behind a desire to do the 1932 Peru-Colombia War, which really is quite amazing or the more well known Peru-Ecuador War of 1941. Who doesn't fancy Blitzkreig South American style, complete with Czech tanks and paratroopers?
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2012, 12:10:16 PM »
The Banda Oriental campaign and the war against Artigas is on my to do list. I'm also tempted by the War of the Farrapos.  ;D

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2012, 12:44:23 PM »
Not very obscure but pretty much anything in China and Japan catches my interest  :)

cheers

James
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2012, 06:59:27 PM »
The Banda Oriental campaign and the war against Artigas is on my to do list. I'm also tempted by the War of the Farrapos.  ;D

Well frankly, one almost wishes they had succeeded. People down south tend to have this ridiculous notion that they are some how above the rest of the country. There are still folk in RS who seem to fancy secession.

If you want obscure, I have a book of the on the Muslim revolts (Revolta dos Malês) in Bahia in 1835 and another on the slightly later Sabinada, written by my former landlord, a professor at UFBA. Not sure either would make great gaming material but, with some conversion work you could find the figures.

I occasionally toy with the idea of the Guerra da Independência, arguably easier to find figures, at least the Portuguese but there would be quite a bit of work involved finding suitable Brazilians. Maybe one day.....

Ouviram do Ipiranga as margens plácidas
 De um povo heroico o brado retumbante,
 E o sol da liberdade, em raios fúlgidos,
 Brilhou no céu da pátria nesse instante.

:)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2012, 07:54:10 PM »
Here you go a Kickstarter project for The Great War of the Pacific. Only another four thousand and twenty five quid to go and apparently the minis are to be sculpted by chimps, judging by the photos.

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=170438086

Offline Arthur

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2012, 10:23:42 PM »
My own list would read as follows :

* First Carlist War
* First Sikh War 1846-46 (with enough figures to do the 1843 Gwalior campaign as well)
* Late Taiping War 1860-1864
* Mexican war 1861-1867

I have figures for the first three of the above courtesy of Michael Perry, and I'm waiting to see how Ged's Gringo 40s Maximilian range develops to add big battalions to the fourth (I have quite a few Foundry Mexicans sculpted by Mark Copplestone already). If I had the time and were a manufacturer to do a proper range, I'd also happily indulge in the French occupation of Algeria, 1835-1850 (I know Paco's done a pretty good job at converting Perry figures for the period but I'm lazy  lol )

Offline Kingscarbine

• Mad Scientist
  • Bayonets... Level!
« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2012, 02:12:54 PM »
Here you go a Kickstarter project for The Great War of the Pacific. Only another four thousand and twenty five quid to go and apparently the minis are to be sculpted by chimps, judging by the photos.

http://theminiaturespage.com/news/?id=170438086

Hmmmm... Interesting... So, how does this Kickstarter thing work? Can I use it to start a company or commission a sculptor?

Offline pacofeanor

• Scientist
    • paco fait le zouave
« Reply #14 on: December 05, 2012, 02:18:39 PM »
My own list would read as follows :

* First Carlist War
* First Sikh War 1846-46 (with enough figures to do the 1843 Gwalior campaign as well)
* Late Taiping War 1860-1864
* Mexican war 1861-1867

I have figures for the first three of the above courtesy of Michael Perry, and I'm waiting to see how Ged's Gringo 40s Maximilian range develops to add big battalions to the fourth (I have quite a few Foundry Mexicans sculpted by Mark Copplestone already). If I had the time and were a manufacturer to do a proper range, I'd also happily indulge in the French occupation of Algeria, 1835-1850 (I know Paco's done a pretty good job at converting Perry figures for the period but I'm lazy  lol )

just do it ! (with Perry calist's FFL  foot and mounted it's possible without cutting anything!)  :D

best regards
paco