Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 04, 2024, 08:09:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pulp me sideways!  (Read 13452 times)

Offline joroas

• Galactic Brain
Re: Pulp me sideways!
« Reply #60 on: January 24, 2013, 11:00:21 AM »
Wow, when did the Easter Island guys appear at M?
'So do all who see such times. But that is not for us to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that we are given.'

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #61 on: January 24, 2013, 12:16:15 PM »
You have some amazing projects... you sorely tempt me to get into some pulp action!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #62 on: January 24, 2013, 01:24:02 PM »
Wow, when did the Easter Island guys appear at M?

Must be years already...

Edit: seems to be in 2009:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=11374.0

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #63 on: February 08, 2013, 11:43:43 AM »
lol those Easter Island heads from Maccas do look great and they really talk?! :)

Been a bit busy of late - have been working on expanding the jungle and also working on a river. This is the same method I  used to create the earlier oasis so you can copy this technique and apply to that as well.

1. Cut and sand some 5mm MDF into windy river looking pieces and paint base colour using cheap sample pots from hardware. I am using 3 pieces cause that is the max length of the table we play on and will allow easier storage than one long one.

WP_20130203_001 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

2. Keep building up base coat and blend into darker middle section of river to give appearance of depth doesn't have to be exact at this stage

WP_20130203_003 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

3. Create outline where water's edge will be with hot glue gun (or PVA but have to due several layers to get a bit of height on it) and glue a few rocks down to allow river crossings. The rocks were hydrocal casted using Woodland Scenics molds - http://woodlandscenics.woodlandscenics.com/show/category/TerrainFormation.

WP_20130204_001 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

4. Spak filler the river edge/bank to the line of the glue created in 3.

WP_20130204_004 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

5. Paint river edge brown - still needs work have to drybrush and add foliage etc later!

WP_20130204_013 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

6. Pour a thin layer of Woodland Scenics Realistic Water and let dry. I will eventually use 2 layers so that I can paint in between again to give illusion of depth and also water motion - photo of layer one drying so looks pretty basic.

WP_20130204_014 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

7. Drip some over rocks to simulate wet surface - still wet here but eventually dries clear. Rocks again created from Woodland Scenics molds, hot glued down/together and painted following their paint tips.

WP_20130204_015 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Will be adding Woodland Scenics Water Effects at base of rocks and attempting to create a waterfall effect down rock face - fingers crossed it might work but could go either way watch this space! :P

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #64 on: February 08, 2013, 01:40:28 PM »
This looks really good already. Looking forward to seeing it finished.

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
« Reply #65 on: April 30, 2013, 03:40:27 AM »
Great post. Any chances to show the river done?
"Trapped in time. Surrounded by evil. Low on gas."
http://diceplague.blogspot.com.br

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #66 on: May 02, 2013, 06:11:24 AM »
Hi guys work has got the better of me the last month or so - back on the case will post some snaps of river and other bits soon

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #67 on: May 07, 2013, 05:53:34 AM »
Some more work in progress shots below:

Top view showing 3 pieces joined to reach full length of current gaming table :

WP_20130507_001 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

You can also see some other works in progress scattered on the table
- mummies, dead king on throne and tomb scorpion for my original big Egyptian scenario I am still working on pulling components together for but getting there!
- new fighting monks league almost completed
- the spare plane I have (for those following earlier in the thread where I destroyed a plane to use as wreckage - proof the complete one still exists :P )
-random other 28mm minis and GW paints you can use to get an idea of scale - each river sect approx 40-50 cms long for just under 5ft total.

Shot of the waterfall piece with some "flowing" water now added:

WP_20130507_004 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Reeds:
I've stuck some reed looking plants in along the bank - found at $2 decoration shop where they have plastic/fabric plants - these were originally on foot long grass blades (you can see some left in top pic) and I just chopped off the tips which had interesting lilly and berry looking tops. Drilled hole using pin vice drill/modelling tool into spakfiller side and dipped them in PVA and stuck in - easy! Scattered along bank and near river section ends for random effect. 

Water effects:

- Waterfall:
Basically followed Woodland Scenics directions re waterfall creation - free vids on their website and youtube. If you don't have woodland scenics realistic water/water effects you can achieve the same thing with PVA - just blob on some baking/waxy paper and ripple into sections and let dry then glue and hang over waterfall. Brush with blue/white to achieve fast flowing effect.

- River:
I wanted to give the river a fast flowing look so players know they can't wade across unless they are at one of the the rocky fords/crossings. To do this I used some WS water effects to build up bottom of water fall and sections in front/following the rock crossing and painted white to simulate fast/torrent water. Initially I overkilled the white at crossings so paired it back and painted over with blue (you can see where - still needs another coat of blue to darken it) but think it looks better - less is more!  Along the sections did the odd white streak as well to try and give the impression of fast flowing water - happy with it give it was only my for a first attempt. 

The banks still need work - more foliage, drybrushing, sand etc but definitely playable as is..

Middle section with ford/crossing:

WP_20130507_002 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

End section with another crossing:

WP_20130507_005 by Pulpthulhu, on Flickr

Think in future I might work on adding a few other new sections as well - to add some windy bits so can have the river snake across the table but happy with a straight one for now...

until next time :)

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #68 on: May 07, 2013, 07:06:32 AM »
Looking good  :-* The waterfall piece is a real eye-catcher.

Offline HerbyF

• Mastermind
  • Why fear nightmares when you can be one
« Reply #69 on: May 07, 2013, 07:24:25 AM »
Those plastic Easter Island heads came out for the movie "Night at the Museum" from MacDonalds. I picked up a couple back then. Kept one myself & passed one on to Bob Murch at Pulp Miniatures. Been trying to find more ever since.
LHV 2015 +200 2016 +770 2017 +636 2018 +888 2019 +1015 2020 +656 2021 +174 2022 +220 2023 +312 2024 +117

Offline Admiral Benbow

• The Queen's Own Gizmologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • "Creativity is a drug I cannot live without."
    • The Benbow Workshop
« Reply #70 on: July 30, 2013, 12:17:36 AM »
Very interestung thread, lots of creative ideas ...!
 :-*

Online Mad Lord Snapcase

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Snapcase Hall, Much-Piddling, Devon
    • The Life and Times of Mad Lord Snapcase
« Reply #71 on: July 30, 2013, 10:13:14 AM »
Pulpthulhu, any chance of posting a close-up photo of your waterfall? I'm trying to do one and I like the look of yours, thanks.

Offline Traveler Man

• Mastermind
    • The Hetzenberg Chronicles
« Reply #72 on: July 30, 2013, 08:04:42 PM »
Beautiful work!  :-* Got to make some river sections when I find time.
"It's amusing, it's amazing, and it's never twice the same: It's the salt of true adventure, and the glamour of the game."

Talbot Mundy, The Ivory Trail.

http://ajstable.blogspot.com
http://hetzenberg.blogspot.com

Offline Diceplague

• Librarian
  • No, human... I´M power, knowledge is doom!
    • Diceplague Wargame Blog
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2013, 02:13:08 AM »
Amazing job Pulpthulhu!

Consider your work to be shamelessly cloned (but know that you will always be on me heart  ;) )

Just one thing: Did you really think that made any difference on dept perception to paint between the 2 layers of water fx?

keep´em coming brother!!!

Offline Pulpthulhu

• Bookworm
« Reply #74 on: August 25, 2013, 07:24:31 AM »
Hi guys

Thanks for the kind words - work has taken over the past few months so productivity been a bit down more to follow in the next few weeks!

Feel free to shamelessly clone away no doubt your efforts will surpass my attempts! Please post action shots of your master pieces to inspire me to shameless clone off! :)

re Qs

* re depth perception and painting between layers of water fx
- I think it does add a bit in terms of both depth and flow - with the river sections I just did stripes of blue paint to simulate flowing water in between layers. In my desert oasis (see AAR 1 thread) I did a speckling type effect of blues and greens to give even more depth. For the river sections you could probably get away with just doing a good gradient painting of the underlying river base before you apply waterfx - lighter brown at edge tapering to dark blue/green in middle. Do both (my attempt anyways!) for added effect :)

* re close up of waterfall yes will get some up for you Mad Lord Snapcase.
« Last Edit: August 25, 2013, 07:32:04 AM by Pulpthulhu »