Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 11:48:38 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690911
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 907
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Well spank me sideways! Redoubt do Napoleonics  (Read 2571 times)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
Well spank me sideways! Redoubt do Napoleonics
« on: August 05, 2016, 12:27:21 AM »
 :o I just found out that Redoubt- my favourite all-round figure manufacturer- do some Napoleonic ranges. They are buried deep in the website and are only sold as Battalion packs or larger.
There is however only one tiny picture of some Highlanders which is impossible to get any good details from.
I appeal to any members here for any info on these ranges?
Are they any good? Are they big?   
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline matakishi

• The Teacher
  • Galactic Brain
  • Cousin of Hammers
    • Matakishi's Tea House
Re: Well spank me sideways! Redoubt do Napoleonics
« Reply #1 on: August 05, 2016, 01:02:45 AM »
The Naval part is a very early range from Redoubt. The miniatures are not the best. There are lots of pictures of the ranges here:
http://www.redoubtenterprises.com/shop/?page=shop/browse&category_id=4dd6d234662d1478baaa5e399091a213
and you can buy individual miniatures.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 05, 2016, 01:18:16 AM »
Thanks Matakishi!  I missed this so I appreciate it.  I would not have thought to look in the banners section. I may just buy one or two initially to see how well they mix in with Front Rank.

Offline katie

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: August 05, 2016, 07:26:37 PM »
They don't. They're shorter, slimmer and a different build. They'd probably mix with Foundry and Steve Barber.

Front Rank plays nicely with Eagle, Elite, Victrix, Sash&Sabre and Companion.

(I've bought all of these for the comparisons).

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 05, 2016, 07:33:21 PM »
I would say they are butt-ugly.... one of their earlier creations and not at all at par with their more recent ranges. If you want Napoleonics, Perry, Foundry, Front Rank, Offensive Miniatures, Victrix, Renegade, Warlord and a few others I forgot are way better options...

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 05, 2016, 09:17:40 PM »
Thanks Katie and Traveller. That's the sort of good info to have. You have just saved me a ton of time and money I would have spent finding out for myself. And on top of that Front Rank are actually cheaper. I won't mix and match; I will go Front Rank all the way. 

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2016, 09:38:39 PM »
I just realized I forgot a real gem, that is perfect together with Front Rank ( they even do not make their own horses but recommend Front Rank) - Calpe Miniatures!!!

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2016, 11:13:59 PM »
I just realized I forgot a real gem, that is perfect together with Front Rank ( they even do not make their own horses but recommend Front Rank) - Calpe Miniatures!!!

They do look incredibly good. I see they do not do British though. However, as my projected Brigade is a sort of fantasy brigade I could easily incorporate a battalion of allies instead of having all redcoats.  Help me out here, was everybody on our side except for the French? And who had REALLY PRETTY uniforms, that's the most important thing... ;)   

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2016, 11:16:14 PM »
The Calpe Silesian Landwher with their big hats look like something out of 40K  lol

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2016, 11:28:30 PM »
Hey wait what?  :o Prussians in British uniforms? What is that all about? I see a side project forming  :-*

Offline traveller

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2016, 07:49:20 AM »
They do look incredibly good. I see they do not do British though. However, as my projected Brigade is a sort of fantasy brigade I could easily incorporate a battalion of allies instead of having all redcoats.  Help me out here, was everybody on our side except for the French? And who had REALLY PRETTY uniforms, that's the most important thing... ;)   

I guess you have to take a decision on what part of the Napoleonic Wars you want to portray. That will decide who was allied to who. The British supplied uniforms to both the Portuguese and the Prussians plus probably some more of the allied Germans

Offline Calimero

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2016, 06:42:14 PM »
I would say they are butt-ugly....

lol I painted some sailors (raiding party) for a client a few years back. IIRC one of the figures had fingers as long as the rest of his arm…
A CANADIAN local hobby store with a small selection of historical wargames miniatures (mainly from Warlords). They also have a great selection of paint and hobby accessories from Vallejo, Army painter, AK Interactive, Green Stuff World and more.; https://www.kingdomtitans.ca/us/

Offline olicana

• Mastermind
    • Olicanalad's Games
« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2016, 10:40:20 AM »
I have to agree with much of what has been said, Redoubt would not be my first choice.

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2016, 03:48:01 PM »
I guess you have to take a decision on what part of the Napoleonic Wars you want to portray. That will decide who was allied to who. The British supplied uniforms to both the Portuguese and the Prussians plus probably some more of the allied Germans

Not to forget the French, many of whose uniforms were manufactured in Leeds and Halifax. Nothing to do with the original post, but worth knowing, n'est-ce pas?