Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 04:35:01 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690827
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 4
Guests: 762
Total: 766

Recent

Author Topic: A question on Redoubt  (Read 10016 times)

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
A question on Redoubt
« on: November 21, 2008, 09:00:42 AM »
Okay, I know Redoubt tend to be big, but how big? I've just discovered their ACW range and the potential with conversions is enourmous, particularly as the heads are already seperate!

Also, does anyone know of anywhere you can see the different heads? They aren't shown on the site.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
Re: A question on Redoubt
« Reply #1 on: November 21, 2008, 09:11:57 AM »
Usefully I found this
http://www.stipsicz-hussars.be/blogpics/perryacw.jpg

Which is good news as it means the Redoubt stuff should be fine. I have some Perry plastics and they are a little smaller and slighter than most of my stuff.

Question on heads still stands though  :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #2 on: November 21, 2008, 09:14:48 AM »
The ACW range is great, so much potential and as you say the separate heads is a huge bonus. I think they are probably their best range they produce, the sculptsa re amongst their finest.

They are chunky, but not overly tall. If I remember correctly thier VSF and Zulu ranges are taller and the Three Musketeers even taller.

I am sure I have seen a comparison chart over on TMP, maybe worth a visit there. I think they will be taller than old Foundry and Dixon, but not as tall as Renegade.

If I was ever going to do ACW It would be Redoubt.

what do you want to know about the heads?
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2008, 09:50:15 AM »
Thanks Malamute, the link I put in my above post came from TMP. Just realised the pic doesn't have manufacturers on it though. The far right one is Redoubt.

For the heads, I'd like to know what the different hats actually look like. For example, there are three different types of slouch hat listed but one persons view of a slouch hat isn't always the same as anothers.

Just to cheer you up, the first use of these will be as the basis for a couple of Prussian Assault Jager units.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #4 on: November 21, 2008, 10:02:14 AM »
For the heads, I'd like to know what the different hats actually look like. For example, there are three different types of slouch hat listed but one persons view of a slouch hat isn't always the same as anothers.

Just to cheer you up, the first use of these will be as the basis for a couple of Prussian Assault Jager units.

Sounds like an intersting idea.
Ok, I understand now what you mean about the heads. There used to be pretty good line drawings of the figures and heads, but since they have started to add photos they have removed them.  :?

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #5 on: November 21, 2008, 10:17:33 AM »
I was going to ask a similar question about the Sudan and Zulu ranges.

Given that those Thunderchickens I posted a link to already have saddles, I would just need riders to create a squadron of Her Imperial Majesty's First Venusian Mounted Scout Brigade, and Redoubt seem to be the only place I could get riders of the right period wthout ending up with a bunch of spare horses.

The Thunderchickens look quite large as they are shown with GW riders on the site, so I'm guessing Redoubt would be in scale, but there are no pictures of most of the models I'm interested in (mainly the natal colonial police, boers and such).

So essentially, has anyone seen them, can they give me a good recommendation, or suggest alternatives.

Malamute, I'm looking at you, really....  ???

EDIT: Actually, the Sudan British cavalry do have pics up, and they seem to be wearing goggles on their helmets, so they might do. I did fancy something a bit more irregular looking though.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2008, 11:14:15 AM by JollyBob »

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: November 21, 2008, 11:11:37 AM »
Strangely enough I was talking about Redoubt heads on Forthers. I tend to fine they are over pressed in the mold or certainly give that impression being pinched in some cases. That was their ECW range which is as good as the ACW.

I had some of their ACW gun crews for use as Staats Artilerie a while back and they are nice,

Are you mixing these with Foundry Dewbak ? as you will notice the difference IIRC

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2008, 11:24:26 AM »
I was going to ask a similar question about the Sudan and Zulu ranges.

Given that those Thunderchickens I posted a link to already have saddles, I would just need riders to create a squadron of Her Imperial Majesty's First Venusian Mounted Scout Brigade, and Redoubt seem to be the only place I could get riders of the right period wthout ending up with a bunch of spare horses.

The Thunderchickens look quite large as they are shown with GW riders on the site, so I'm guessing Redoubt would be in scale, but there are no pictures of most of the models I'm interested in (mainly the natal colonial police, boers and such).

So essentially, has anyone seen them, can they give me a good recommendation, or suggest alternatives.

Malamute, I'm looking at you, really....  ???

Ooh the responsibility....

I have a fair size collection of the Zulu Wars stuff and I like them.
They are older sculpts (from early 1990s) so they are not comparable in detail to todays standards.
 Be warned if you buy any as you may  need to do some cleaning up on any figures as a recent order of mine showed the moulds are deteriorating as there was loads of flash, etc on the castings.

They have a certain charm to them and do paint up well. But they are tall, so noticeably bigger than alot of other figures.

I would suggest the NMP/NC figure as he is wearing a spiked helmet and carrying a Martini Henry carbine held with the butt on his hip. the dismounted poses are excellent as well so you can do your unit on foot as well.

The mounted  officer figure  is generic wearing a blue patrol jacket and bare head, so you will need to head swap him with a troopers head if you want your officer with a helmet. He is armed with a raised revolver. Here he is with a suitable head swap.

The boers are bearded wearing civilian kit and have the broad brimmed slouch hat.

My only other suggestion would be the Perry's Sudan mounted Hussars, they are lovely and have a spiked helmet, they are separate castings, but you have to buy each pack including the horses.

Redoubt figures can be purchased separately which is  bonus. If you want me to photograph a couple of the Redoubt NMP or boer figures I can do so on sunday for you?

Anything else you want to know let me know.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2008, 11:28:33 AM »
Thanks very much, more than helpful as usual.  :)

After editing my above post, I'm not sure whether to go for irregulars or uniformed dragoon types now.

Ah, well, this will be a project for the new year, so I needn't make a decision yet, but if you do have photos of the different figures, that would really be a help.

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2008, 11:33:15 AM »
Thanks very much, more than helpful as usual.  :)

After editing my above post, I'm not sure whether to go for irregulars or uniformed dragoon types now.

Ah, well, this will be a project for the new year, so I needn't make a decision yet, but if you do have photos of the different figures, that would really be a help.

I'll take a couple of pics of the NMP and the Boers for you. I saw your comment about the irregular uniform look. the boer is a nice figure too with Martini Henry rifle slungon his shoulder. There is a Boer officer too shoutiing wearing a pistol in a shoulder holster.

Another suggestion is Black Tree Designs Zulu Wars range they have mounted Boers in different poses and some 17th Lancers, but I think again you will end up with separate horses as well as they don't sell them separately. I have heard lots of discontent about ordering from them, though I have never had a problem.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2008, 11:59:21 AM »
Thanks again.

Yeah, I'm a bit wary of BTD at the moment. A couple of folks on Frothers (and here, actually) have been waiting for parts of their orders for months. Might be sorted out now, or at least I'll bear them in mind when I come to order the bits in the new year.

Offline argsilverson

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:00 PM »
I side question which arouse while reading the posts:

I am not familiar with British uniforms of the era, so:
Malamute, do you think that Perry's Hussars with spiked helmet, can be used for Home Service hussars and draggons?

argsilverson

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2008, 12:07:22 PM »
Speaking about service...

I just ordered some Victorian Brits from Redoubt.  (OH NO!  I'm falling into the VSF abyss!) When I did so, I got an email stating that my order was pending.  I think it was pending because I live in Spain and they need to figure out how much it costs to ship.

Anyway... are Redoubt pretty good at shipping things off?

Sorry for going OT...

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2008, 12:11:51 PM »
I side question which arouse while reading the posts:

I am not familiar with British uniforms of the era, so:
Malamute, do you think that Perry's Hussars with spiked helmet, can be used for Home Service hussars and draggons?

Techincally no as the helmet is not quite the same as a home service one. It has the distinctive Puggaree on it for starters,  but paint the helmet blue and the tunic red and  you could get away with it.
Remember its VSF so anything goes! :)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2008, 12:13:57 PM »
Speaking about service...

I just ordered some Victorian Brits from Redoubt.  (OH NO!  I'm falling into the VSF abyss!) When I did so, I got an email stating that my order was pending.  I think it was pending because I live in Spain and they need to figure out how much it costs to ship.

Anyway... are Redoubt pretty good at shipping things off?

Sorry for going OT...

I have never had any issues with ordering from Redoubt. Always promptly dealt with, figures arriving within a week, but I always place my order by phone... You might want to make an international call just to confirm though.