Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 15, 2024, 09:55:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1697683
  • Total Topics: 118852
  • Online Today: 621
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: New Mantic Race/Game - Space Zombies...demons...whatever  (Read 7101 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: New Mantic Race/Game - Space Zombies...demons...whatever
« Reply #30 on: April 25, 2013, 03:29:48 AM »
I imagine knowing the backstory to these guys will pull it all together nicely. Maybe it's like genestealers and hybrids?

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The dog, the dog, he's at it again
« Reply #31 on: April 25, 2013, 06:39:55 AM »
According to their forum, the game will have plastic modular buildings
I'll strongly consider buying those. Not gonna buy the "dead space" fellas tho to get them so it has to be a separate set.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #32 on: April 25, 2013, 12:36:34 PM »
Love those mutant dudes. Many uses for them especially for Fallout types. Plastic modular buildings are something the sci fi gaming genre needs. Surprised no one's jumped on it before! Well done Mantic!

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #33 on: April 25, 2013, 01:48:38 PM »
I'll be all over those modular buildings in a hearbeat. The not-Stahler showcased earlier tho' leaves me absolutely cold.

However, I'm happy that they so far have kept Warpath and Deadzone in two seperate universes!

Offline rob_alderman

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Dribbling wreck...
« Reply #34 on: April 25, 2013, 08:57:45 PM »
The minis look great! However, I am seeing Stahler in Carcass Armour. Makes me worry that when Prodos get around to making a model of Stahler, people are going to jump on the 'you're just copying Mantic!' bandwagon!!!  lol

Seriously though, I can imagine buying these. I really like the mutant guys.  :)

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: April 26, 2013, 06:22:49 AM »
Plastic modular buildings are something the sci fi gaming genre needs. Surprised no one's jumped on it before!
Everybody and their uncle are into MDF these days...

ETA - one assumes this is the website for this project (currently only a teaser counting down to the start of KS):
http://www.deadzonethegame.com/
« Last Edit: April 26, 2013, 06:34:48 AM by tnjrp »

Offline Vermis

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Mini Sculpture
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2013, 01:28:24 PM »
Top post, Brummie. You too Scurv. Although...

They started out doing fantasy. They first made a set of elves which in my opinion are fantastic. Very thin and lithe and most definitely not a human with pointy ears. They got an endless mantra of crap from gamers along the lines of 'they dont look like other peoples elves I hate them!"

So they reigned that level of creativity in sharpish

I like Mantic myself, and I'm interested in the development of KoW and the general fantasy side of things. Problem is I think most of their fantasy minis look a bit rubbish. My beef with the elves, for instance, isn't that they look different, but that they look awkward. They are thin - very, very thin - but I'd hesitate to agree that they look lithe. Gangly, I'd say. With all those stick-limbs and sharp joints (including pointy hips) sticking out, I imagine that when they run they flail and clatter like Sheriff Woody from Toy Story.
Metal infantry and cavalry are a bit samey and somehow 'blunt'. The bolt thrower looks like it came out of a kinder egg. The drakons are truly dire. I don't have a much better opinion of the chunky, giant-flat-head, horizontal-necked dwarfs or the repurposed twilight kin with the atrocious assassin plonked down front and centre in the KoW book. Orcs and goblins are better but still have some (unintentionally) ugly models and bits. The new gangly-limbed, oddly-posed basilean humans coming out don't wow me, and I'm not in the least bit interested in tiger riders. The only Mantic KoW army I like the look of is undead, but I don't have much interest in collecting an undead army either.

Y'know what, I'm just going to come out with it and put a chunk of the blame on Bob Naismith. He might have a legendary status in this hobby and industry, based on 20-30 year old minis, but like some others he doesn't hold up today. I thought 'bleh' about his phoned-in 6mm sci-fi for Dark Realm Miniatures and Steel Crown Industries, and really didn't like most of his monsters and sculpting aspects in the recent announcement for Model Display Products. Same awful drakon heads on the MDP hydra. Too many laurels being sat on, IMO.

And one last thing about Mantic: given that their purview at the beginning was cheaper alternatives to GW, for Warhammer, and cheap plastic models for general fantasy army building and gaming, was it really in their interests to come up with relatively radical and different designs of the fantasy archetypes?

Ahem. Back to Deadzone...

Offline Torben

• Scientist
  • Scatterbrained Wargamer!
« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2013, 06:01:15 PM »
The vid says its set in the same universe. This deadzone is a neat way of expanding the core forces for warparth too.

Yeah, I noticed as well - bit of a shame really; I don't care much for the look of those plague figures at all; although I might recruit some of them for some post apocalypse gaming at some point...

Offline kalamadea

• Librarian
    • Image Gallery
« Reply #38 on: April 29, 2013, 05:55:38 AM »
Mantic has certainly grown on me in the last year or so. I was pretty ambivelant to their stuff since I DISPISE their elves (agree totally with the awkward-thin instead of lithe-thin comment) but their board games are pretty fun and their models are getting better and better and better.

Plague look utterly meh to me, but the new Enforcers are wonderful, even better than the restic ones which I loved. Orks look ok, not my thing but pretty good. The real surprise is how good the rebels are looking. No 3Ds yet, but the concept art for them is just absolutely chock-full of character! Loving the Farscape/Traveller vibe of the downtrodden human/alien hodgepodge. Backed the KS at the $150 level for all 4 factions, will try and get at least a friend or 2 to buy the plague and marauders off me. Even without seeng the rules yet, I have high faith in mantic after the Dreadball KS.
~Kalamadea
(aka Ember)
My Image Gallery

Offline tnjrp

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2013, 09:18:28 AM »
This is another one of those where it's really difficult to justify pledging, even tho there is something there I do like: namely, the Enforcers, the Rebs and the buildings. But there doesn't seem to be any way of getting just those -- at a glance anyway.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #40 on: April 30, 2013, 05:13:20 PM »
This is another one of those where it's really difficult to justify pledging, even tho there is something there I do like: namely, the Enforcers, the Rebs and the buildings. But there doesn't seem to be any way of getting just those -- at a glance anyway.

Prices for individual forces have just been added - $35 per team, including the stretch goal figures.

So $40 Scout pledge for your first force and PDF rulebook, plus $35 for your second team.