Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:18:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686436
  • Total Topics: 118099
  • Online Today: 695
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Gluing spears so they stick?  (Read 1670 times)

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
Gluing spears so they stick?
« on: January 15, 2013, 06:09:06 PM »
I have painted a bunch of spear-wielding Foundry Ancient Germans and glued the spears on with super glue after painting. The spears are mostly the Foundry steel pin variety but there are a few of the thinner Northstar javelins as well. My problem is that are constantly breaking off--like several every time I transport them or play a game with them. It's really annoying and I am also having to touch up the paint when I reglue them!  :'(   The Northstar javelins are particularly bad as they are so thin they don't make a good bond with the model.

Does anyone have any advice on how to best affix these spears to the open-palmed Foundry variety of figures?  Someone recommended crimping the fingers, but obviously I can't do that with painted models and even in the future I'm afraid it will destroy the detail on the hands. Maybe if I use a small blob of greenstuff or 5 minute epoxy instead of super glue? 

Also, how are people transporting these types of figs?  I am reluctant to use the pluck foam as it's such a pain, but everything else seems to be contributing to the breakage of the spears!

thanks!

~ Steve

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gluing spears so they stick?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 06:16:46 PM »
I would be tempted to leave the area where it fits to the hand unpainted and paint after fitting. Not a 100% method but will stick better than if painted as the glue is currently sticking to the paint and not metal to metal.

With your foam, stand them up rather than lie them down if that makes sense, so the spear is above the foam but the figure is not likely to move

Offline DoctorPete

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 07:01:31 PM »
I had the same problem until I glued the spears in place before painting.  Now I have to drop the figure onto a solid surface to snap them loose.  I use gel super glue.
I am not a quack!  I'm a mad scientist.  There IS a difference!

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 08:01:36 PM »
I find metal spears stick well in my fingers  >:(

Only luck I had with metal spears was to go to a two part epoxy resin before they are painted.  This puts a lump on the figure around the hand but they remained on.

Spears at rest are better - two points held longer than one.

Offline blackstone

• Mastermind
    • Toad King Castings
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 08:12:49 PM »
Exactly what the doc and Lowtar' said :) AsFor the strongest bond try to glue metal to metal otherwise the bond will only be as strong as the bond between paint and metal, which isn't great.

When attaching bare metal to base metal clean the figure area first there may be some release/casting residue on the hand, meths on a paintbrush will work (and it flashes off). Also if you can get a flat surface and "roll" the metal spear with a file you'll rough the surface of the spear up. This will provide a tooth for the glue. I recommeded Loctite superglue! Pretty sure ounce for ounce it costs more than gold but it is strong. Epoxy will give a good bond but as Andrew said it shows a noticable blob if not applied thinly, but then really only works best with a thick layer.

Crimping the hands won't flatten too much of the detail if you protect the figure. When bending/repositioning figure parts I protect the area with a thick rubber band before crimping, a wad of tissue works as well. You can put enough pressure on without ruining the detail. Good way to reposition a head without flattening the ears!

Another tip... if you have the time pare away at the inside of the hand with a scalpel which will both clean the metal for gluing and thin the hand so once glued and crimped the result will look more realistic.

As to transportation I'd advise some sort of magnetic basing. This'll keep the figures from bashing about. Those foam cases which squash the figures between to pieces of foam won't help. Heavy duty ziplock baggies can be a great solution although for large amounts of figures they can be time consuming to put in/take out.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2013, 08:17:41 PM by blackstone »

Offline Mindenbrush

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2013, 11:53:18 PM »
Rarely had a problem with spears coming off a figure if the metal spear is bonded on a bare metal figure using 2 part epoxy -not the 5 minute stuff as I have had problems with that. I also give the metal spear a quick rub over with one of those green scouring pads to remove any grease or residue on the metal.
Wargamers do it on a table.
YNWA - It is not a badge, it is a family crest
Montreal Historical Wargaming Club

Offline Teshub

• Librarian
  • Thereupon I marched against Skara and destroyed it
    • Sword and Sorcery RPG
« Reply #6 on: January 16, 2013, 12:19:00 AM »
I use super glue on after  cleaning them and before my primer coat, works great. My problem is more with the shields which I super glue on after painting.
\"what slaughters of the people there were, what famine and what thirst oppressed the wretched earth.\" -History of the Franks

http://swordandsorceryrpg.com/

Offline axabrax

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2013, 06:48:57 PM »
Thanks for the advice everyone. I clearly made a boo-boo in painting first and gluing second. Lesson learned!

Offline Billchuck

• Scientist
    • Velociengineer.net
« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 12:00:27 AM »
You can try running the corner of a triangle file across the figure's palm where the spear will go.  Like roughing the spear with sandpaper or a file, it provides a clean, rough surface for the glue to adhere to.