Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 06:30:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Cheetors Dreadball: Treebeast, Yndij & Grogan Convict 05/01/15  (Read 13196 times)

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Dreadball: Judwan team & MVP 10/07/13
« Reply #45 on: July 11, 2013, 10:51:57 AM »
Ok now they look like Tau but definitely better than their DB Counterparts  >:D

:)  

When the concept sketches for the judwan showed up during the DreadBall Kickstarter, many did shout "Tau Air Caste!!!".  They have a point I guess, but bald, tall, gangly aliens are a pretty common trope.

This Deadzone judwan is a big improvement on the DreadBall judwan for sure, but as you say the concept seems to have moved slightly further in the tau direction.  It doesnt really bother me though :)  That said, as I have a small Tau skirmish force in the wings, I am likely to paint them in the same scheme as my Deadzone judwan...

lol,i felt the same when i saw the Enforcers for Deadzone, much cooler than the Warpath Enforcers, i wonder why they didn't brought up these in the first Place  :?

I guess that the main reasons that the DeadZone figures look to be much better than the Warpath ones are 1) Mantic is a very young, very small company and is about twice as old now as it was when the Warpath stuff came out, so their stuff is improving and 2) the industry is changing radically at the moment both in the sales model (Kickstarter) and manufacturing processes used so I guess they have their resources and heads around those a little better now.

Thats my guess anyway.  I dont really pin my flag to any company, I just use what I like from all of them.  DReadBall is an exceptionally good game to play for numerous reasons, and that balances out some of the weaker sculpts for me.

Nice painting. I actually quite like the Judwan sculpts. I've got a scheme and name planned for my team, but will be doing some reposing of the figures before I start. I like what you've done for colours. They look really good I think.

Thanks for the feedback obsidian3d.  I think that the Rupture Farmers colours work and look sci-fi rather  than fantasy, which is important to me (even if the setting is definitely on the science-fantasy side of things).  My judwan team above was actually heated up a bit and had limbs bent slightly at the elbow or knee to make them look a little less rigid.  Its not very apparent, but alongside another judwan team (as in my last game) it actually looked like it was worthwhile.

I toyed with the idea of chopping and regluing and doing some other things to get the Farmers a little less starched looking, but as I have plenty more teams to be working on I didnt want to get bogged down doing extra work on these guys.  So I used them more or less off-the-peg apart from a little basing and magnetising (for carrying the ball).

Its looking like my robot team up next, with a bit of luck.  A friend who has only painted about six miniatures in his life is trying to crank out a DB team at a painting day in my place over the weekend, so hopefully I will make some robotic progress then.

« Last Edit: January 05, 2015, 09:30:24 PM by cheetor »

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
Re: Cheetors Dreadball: Judwan team & MVP 10/07/13
« Reply #46 on: December 03, 2013, 10:03:20 PM »

After painting about sixty DreadBall miniatures in the first six months of the year I put the project to one side since June or so while I painted other things.  I got back to it in November though and got these two teams plus a Giant Nameless Spawn painted.

First, the Lunar Industries Lampreys team of "Nameless" part crustacean, part squid, all baller team:

Having got a pleasing result with the yellow/brown tentacles on my recent Tentacle Brain project I went for similar colours here.  I tried a different approach to my usual routine when painting the blue shells on these guys, to their detriment I think.  It didnt work as well as I had hoped, but it worked adequately all the same.

More photos and info about the Lampreys on my blog.

The next Dreadball thing painted was this big guy.  Like the smaller "John Doe" that I painted in May, Lester the Nameless Spawn works freelance so rather than tie him to a specific team I painted him in green and black, just like John Doe.

The blog post is here for more info and images.

Lastly (for now) I got my Zegema Beach Zephyrs "Asterian" (space-elf/Romulan/Eldar) team and coach painted.  These guys key a little visually with the Wildcard MVP (who wears a suit of Asterian manufacture according to the background), so they look a little TRON.  The miniatures are a quite slender and slight, plus a bit goofy but I was pleased with how the scheme came out all the same.  Like the Lampreys above, they are a particularly fun team to play with.

More photos and info in my Zephyrs blog post.

The next team painted will probably be Zees (cheating space chimps) or transforming robots, depending on my mood.

Comments and criticisms always welcome :)

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
Re: Cheetors Dreadball: Asterians, Nameless & Nameless Spawn 03/11/13
« Reply #47 on: December 04, 2013, 08:21:58 AM »
Bloody nice, Paul! Lester in particular is very nice looking, great face on that guy! :D
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Giger

• Mad Scientist
    • Crucium Giger's Blog
« Reply #48 on: December 04, 2013, 12:19:54 PM »
Excellent job on everything here.  I prefer how you painted the Asterian skin as it looks much better.

Offline cheetor

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Defixum manendum est.
    • sho3box
« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2015, 09:59:58 PM »
It has been a while since I painted any DreadBall figures, but I just painted up three models from the new, underground/street version of the game - DreadBall Xtreme.

The Avaran Treebeast on the left uses the same palette as the space treepeople that i have been working on.  

The Yndij Reaver (the four eyed monkey cat) is the first of that species that I have painted, even though I have had a few from Deadzone waiting for paint for a while now.  The black with orange furry bits works well enough and should be reasonably quick to replicate when I have a number of them to paint.

Lastly, the Convict Thug - the species is Grogan - on the right differs from the usual orange or yellow outfits that I have seen to date.  The striped outfit is part O Brother Where Art Thou, part Hamburglar :D

More info on my blog.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2015, 03:42:28 PM by cheetor »

Offline warburton

• Mastermind
    • Classic40K painting blog
Re: Cheetors Dreadball: Treebeast, Yndij & Grogan Convict 05/01/15
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 10:14:19 PM »
Nice painting!

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
Re: Cheetors Dreadball: Treebeast, Yndij & Grogan Convict 05/01/15
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 06:45:56 AM »
Brilliant, especially the convict.  8) 8) 8) 8)