Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 05:19:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Wargames Factory vs. Bolt Action for Plastic WWII  (Read 3168 times)

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Wargames Factory vs. Bolt Action for Plastic WWII
« on: February 19, 2013, 09:12:26 PM »
All,
Who has the better plastic WWII for 28mm? I'm interested in basic US vs. Germans. Basically I want to do a squad for each side, plus optional support weapons.

Nick

Offline styx

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Wargames Factory vs. Bolt Action for Plastic WWII
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2013, 12:12:19 AM »
All,
Who has the better plastic WWII for 28mm? I'm interested in basic US vs. Germans. Basically I want to do a squad for each side, plus optional support weapons.

Nick

I've seen Warlord, Plastic Soldier and Wargames Factory all in person. I think the Warlord ones have the best look. Not to say WF isn't crap, their stuff is nice also. If I had to say pick one that would be the first and second. Plastic soldier is good and cheap for what you get.

Warlord has for $90 a set of American Vs Germans with the core rules and scenery in a set. You get 20 of each set of figures. a pretty damm good deal if you are interested in the game and models.
Check out my blogs!

Warhammer 40k, Fantasy and more!: http://armyoftheweek.blogspot.com

Warhammer Historicals: Legends of the High Seas and Old West, Gladiator: http://diceoflegends.blogspot.com/

Strange Aeons: http://strangeraeonsadventures.blogspot.com

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2013, 08:14:15 AM »
I have the WF US Army figures. They are actually really nice figures and nicely proportioned, much better in this regard than the Warlord figures. They are also a damn sight cheaper.  Only two reservations. Firstly as pointed out above they lack support weapons but that's only an issue if you are planning something bigger than a platoon and it's easy enough to slip in a metal bazooka figure into the mix. Secondly the figures are in a curious mix of M1943 jackets with gaiters/canvas leggings. Whilst not inaccurate it's odd that they didn't go with the more typical combination of M1943 jacket and the double buckle boots.  Easy to fix with a  blade and some putty.

Warlord's figures are in the M1941 Parsons jacket and leggings which gives them a wider potential use for WW2. You could of course just mix and match the two.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline tony5.7

• Lurker
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2013, 11:54:41 PM »
Early wargames factory where pretty poor but the newer ones are better. I have bolt action plastics which i think are better but are a bit fiddly to assemble. I still prefer metal figures but it comes down to price in the end.

Online NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2013, 03:43:37 AM »
Yeah, I've done a lot of multi part plastics since WF started with them, and I'm not too keen on any fiddly assembly.  But as you say,  it comes down to money.  Unfortunately I am a bit tied to 28mm as all my terrain fits that scale.

Offline Ballardian

• Mastermind
  • Too old to stop now
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2013, 03:53:04 PM »
Having both the WF & BA plastic Germans I have to say that there isn't really much to choose between them, they're both pretty good. The WF minis are possibly more late war oriented than the BA ones (they provide a lot of GW 43's) & are generally a little more slender, less 'heroically' proportioned, but if you were to mix them you wouldn't really notice.

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2013, 04:57:51 PM »
WF is better, but no heavy weapons unfortunately
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"