Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 09:10:38 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691095
  • Total Topics: 118371
  • Online Today: 880
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: cheap birch trees  (Read 3239 times)

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
cheap birch trees
« on: February 28, 2013, 10:32:03 PM »
I just posted a step-by-step of my new birch trees over in the sweetwater forum and thought I could share the pics here as well.

I want to build a lot of trees for our con in november but Im short on money at the moment and I don't have any hope to have more till then... o_o
So everything I use is what I have at home already.

From a former project I have some wood from the Eurostore, green flock from last years Tactica, white glue, sand and finally white and black paint.

my test-tree from yesterday

next one prepared

based and sand glued on

primed in white

black and white drybrush

and with flock

I'm not 100% happy with it as birch trees should be a bit more voluminous but I think its quite ok for gaming.

Offline LaserCutCard

• Librarian
  • LaserCutCard
    • LaserCutCard
Re: cheap birch trees
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2013, 03:06:39 AM »
Given that birch trees are amongst the most common trees in the world but that all we see on tables are conifers, this is great. Can you put a link up to your original WIP thread?

And then figure out a cheap and easy way to make acacias? ;D

Cheers
Neal

Offline Dr Mathias

• LPL Champion (S6,S7) Bronze Medalist (S5)
  • Galactic Brain
  • Purveyor of the one-and-only Miracle Elixir!
    • Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2013, 03:11:20 AM »
Thank you kind sir!
a mixture of quick parts, sarcastic humour, reserve, and caprice.
Dr. Mathias's Miniature Extravaganza

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2013, 03:58:14 AM »
They look great.
Will have to try to make some.
Thanks for sharing.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2013, 05:15:48 AM »
I've finally been tackling trees for my 28mm tables, so this is nicely timed!

I think a few birch trees will coming off my workbench in the fairly near future...

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2013, 05:41:42 AM »
Thank you guys!

Can you put a link up to your original WIP thread?

And then figure out a cheap and easy way to make acacias? ;D

Off course I can, but in fact its just the same pics, and I only wrote a little longer text in german.
But http://www.sweetwater-forum.de/index.php?page=Thread&threadID=11904 here it is.

I fear acacias don't fit in russia very well, so they'll have to wait a bit!  ;)

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2013, 07:31:29 AM »
That is some nice work there! Thanks for sharing it.

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #7 on: March 01, 2013, 09:51:41 AM »
Hi Ben, rather decent work! One word of caution: I built a bunch of birches using a very similar method back in 2010, and while mine were based on heavy 40mm washers, they still turned out rather top-heavy and prone to toppling.

I would suggest considering a magnetic "copse area base" for those as the 25mm(?) base might be too small to keep the trees stable on a textured surface (or a grass mat, for that matter). Alternatively, go for a slightly larger base for each tree (40mm or, dare I say, 50mm). Given that birch copses tend to be a bit thin, at least the ones I've seen, I think it wouldn't look too bad considering the stability benefit.

But regarding your technique, quite excellent and looking rather "birch-y" to me! I omitted using textured paint on the broken bark areas, rather exploiting existing breaks in the wood I used combined with sponge stippling, but I must say your approach provides a lot of texture and breaks up the white area quite convincingly.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #8 on: March 01, 2013, 03:23:26 PM »
I like the towering trees.  Mine came out much smaller.  You might be able to combine the two techniques to get more branches.
The tutorial that I did is on Terragenesis.   http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page425.html
Hope that helps.  They ended up being pennies for each tree. 
Snitchy sends.
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2013, 04:07:50 PM »
I like the towering trees.  Mine came out much smaller.  You might be able to combine the two techniques to get more branches.
The tutorial that I did is on Terragenesis.   http://www.terragenesis.co.uk/infopages/page425.html
Hope that helps.  They ended up being pennies for each tree. 
Snitchy sends.

I like your trees as well and already saw the tut, but forgot about it again... o_o
I think I have to try the wrapped wire, I used cable here, but that means I have to prime it with spray.

Hi Ben, rather decent work! One word of caution: I built a bunch of birches using a very similar method back in 2010, and while mine were based on heavy 40mm washers, they still turned out rather top-heavy and prone to toppling.

I would suggest considering a magnetic "copse area base" for those as the 25mm(?) base might be too small to keep the trees stable on a textured surface (or a grass mat, for that matter). Alternatively, go for a slightly larger base for each tree (40mm or, dare I say, 50mm). Given that birch copses tend to be a bit thin, at least the ones I've seen, I think it wouldn't look too bad considering the stability benefit.

But regarding your technique, quite excellent and looking rather "birch-y" to me! I omitted using textured paint on the broken bark areas, rather exploiting existing breaks in the wood I used combined with sponge stippling, but I must say your approach provides a lot of texture and breaks up the white area quite convincingly.

You are right Chris, the 25mm washers are way too small to prevent the trees from falling. These are just to give some weight as they will be based together in groups on plasticard bases. And of course it makes it a lot easier for me to hold the trees without touching the wet paint when I put them on my magnets.

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2013, 04:10:38 PM »

Just a group shot before I go to play a game with the guys tonight...
(We're going to Gumbaland in East-Africa, so no need for these trees tonight)

Offline Turbo-Ben

• Scientist
    • Partisan-Con Mannheim
« Reply #11 on: March 03, 2013, 08:02:32 PM »
I finally took some photos with all of my new trees and some Copplestone russians for scale! The wagon is the Perry napoleonic cossack wagon.

Offline Remington

• Mastermind
  • Who? Where? Say what now?
    • The Doc's Diary
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2013, 09:39:46 AM »
Beautiful, Ben!!! Well done! I am looking forward to November already.