Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 30, 2024, 10:49:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691458
  • Total Topics: 118392
  • Online Today: 633
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm ACW - Which manufacturer do you recommend?  (Read 12669 times)

Offline sepoy1857

• Mastermind
  • Wherever Duty Calls...
    • The Devil's Wind
Re: 28mm ACW - Which manufacturer do you recommend?
« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2013, 11:05:41 PM »
absolutely spot on. a lot of Irish new york regiments wore them
Actually the first 55 regiments received them...not just the Irish Regiments ;)  Western States like Illinois, Ohio, and Indiana did as well.
All The Best
Scott Dallimore
Kent-Essex Gaming Society
http://kent-essexgaming.ca/

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #16 on: March 06, 2013, 01:39:35 AM »
Anything else people would add?

I want to start off with skirmish rules so that I can paint small forces to start and not be daunted and give up with a massive pile of lead. I will post rules suggestions in another thread.

Thanks!

KT

Have you looked at Dixon Miniatures?  I have thousands of then from the ACW and F&IW lines.  They offer 300+ figures in ACW with artillery, infantry, cavalry, medical, etc., etc.  Some say they are chunky and have big heads.  I like those figures and especially the detail they contain. 

I also have Sash and Sabre (kind of small), Foundry - very nice, Redoubt also nice but not as clean casting as Dixon.  Redoubt offers ACW sailors and bridge building crews.  I also have Bicorn, and Firing Line figures too.  Those are somewhat leggy and tall in proportion.

I use these figures with skirmish rules, Brother Against Brother, sometimes for small games and more often for large 8 to 12 player F&IW and ACW games.

Offline sma1941

• Student
« Reply #17 on: March 07, 2013, 02:17:00 PM »
I mix Old Glory - 2nd Edition, Sash and Sabre, and Perry with no problem.  I also don't worry about si=ze difference that much.  People come in different sizes and girths.  Just look around.

Offline philjubb

• Lurker
« Reply #18 on: August 07, 2013, 10:55:21 AM »
Hi Dixon Figures are my choice by far, large range and great poses and plenty of animation you require from this scale.

Enjoy Phil J UK

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: August 07, 2013, 12:42:57 PM »
I agree with joroas, have a good look at the Perry range. I've got some of their new Confederate infantry and they're lovely models. You could probably get away with using them as some of the shell-coated Union regiments as well (someone correct me if I'm talking out of my bum). The Zouaves are also nice, and their metal range is well priced too.

plus you will find foundry pop up on ebay quite often. so foundry and perry would be way id go

Offline Shaun1969

• Bookworm
  • Gamer, painter, larper
    • Enfield Gamers
« Reply #20 on: August 07, 2013, 04:15:02 PM »
Hi,

Am actually on my third ACW reboot and after a few commissions

Old glory - my 1st ACW in 28mm - looked ok, very animated, dry brushed finish

Redoubt -my 2nd ACW - painted up very well, foundry three colours

Plastic Perry - my 3rd and still on shelf till I need car insurance, painted using a three colour system again and of the three armies they painted up the easiest to date. glueing was easy but time consuming, offset against cost I am happy enough. Units made up into 24s with a few single skirmishers from the first mixed boxes, marching units in sack coats for union and Rebs got firing lines. The Zoaves are amazing figures to paint, easily the best I have had a crack at. the Cavalry Riders are a little static but the horses are good, I paint them, don't get on with oils. Haven't tried the charging Rebs yet, but they may get purchased along with the artillery next year. Fingers crossed.... Unless I sell it all again.... In which case Perry Plastic will go back on the wish list. The first box did sit on the shelf since release date as I wasn't initially mpressed with them, but after 6 boxes painted I have grown to really appreciate how much thought went into them, on construction watch out for the kepis and bummers getting mixed up, took me til the second lot of construction to twig, also extra sack oat flag bearers are easily converted from the marching figures.

Also painted Elite and Dixon on commission both worked well with highlight painting, have seen Dixon dry brushed well enough but it's not the eighties any more... And AP isn't for me but others may have an opinion

I think the figures for you may depend on how you paint to a degree as well as cost.

Hope this helps

Shaun

Offline surixurient

• Bookworm
« Reply #21 on: August 07, 2013, 04:43:16 PM »
I just got my first set of ACW, still cleaning them up.  They are old glory 25mm war between the states and with the personality and price of the figures, I am very pleased.  I am used to genres were the figures cost $3+ per figure and these were less than a dollar.
Joel Cairo: You always have a very smooth explanation...
Sam Spade: What do you want me to do, learn to stutter?

Offline Axebreaker

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 08, 2013, 12:32:46 AM »
My favourite is Redoubt as they pack a lot of character in the figures in each and every one, but I also use Sash and Sabre(super animation), Foundry(great rebel cav) and Perry(excellent command figures,Zouves, early war units,artillery etc.) as each has nice things to offer. I don't mix them, but I would think you can except for perhaps Redoubt which are big figures.

Christopher

Offline King Thor

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2014, 04:13:47 AM »
Thanks for the replies everyone. Are Redoubt and Sash and Sabre multi piece castings? I believe foundry are single piece. What about Old Glory?

Offline ACW Gamer

• Scientist
    • Raven Banner Games
« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2014, 03:17:49 PM »
Sash and Saber are one piece castings (except horse and riders of course). These are my favorites and I love the character of the figures (not just animation).

Redoubt have separate heads.  Redoubt is the most flexible range of them all as they have each pose (marching, charging, firing, skirmishing, standing, etc) in each uniform: Frock Coat, Shell Coat, Sack Coat and Shirt Sleeves. I am not that crazy about some of the heads (personal taste) and have supplemented them with Steve Barber Model heads.

If price is a concern, look at Old Glory 2nd Edition.  With the Old Glory Army Card, they work out to $.65 a piece (.50 Euro).

This gentleman mixes lines frequently: http://iron-mitten.blogspot.com/2014/07/union-battle-line.html

Look at this picture to see how humans varied in the same regiment!!
http://dmna.ny.gov/historic/reghist/civil/infantry/103rdInf/103rdInfPersonGroup1.htm

Good luck!

https://www.facebook.com/pages/ACW-Gamer-The-Ezine/1416245735309125

Offline ffrum

• Librarian
« Reply #25 on: September 13, 2014, 04:40:58 AM »
There are several lines of figures I use.  I have accumulated many, many figures in the 28mm ACW period.  I have painted quite a few of them and paid to have a significant number painted by various professional and amateur painters.  By count, I have many more Dixon ACW than other brands, both painted and a huge number of unpainted.  The other brands I have include Old Glory, Redoubt, Renegade, Foundry, Bicorn, First Corps, Sash and Saber and a few others.
Other concerns to consider when picking figures are the relative size of each of the figure line compared to others and the sharpness of the detail you would like in the figures you collect.  Another consideration is the type of figure you need for a unit, uniforms, weapons, pose, etc.  Some figure lines display better animation of the pose while others are more sharply cast.  Other lines have different lead alloy mix that causes rough surfaces and a grainy appearance.
You can find descriptions of most of these figure type on LAF, or by looking at photos on the manufacturer’s web sites.  Some figure lines are typically smaller than others or shorter in stature.  Other figure lines are thicker or taller and thinner bodies. 
I recommend that you choose a figure size and style from the various brands available and purchase those.  While I have a number of brands of figures, they are segregated into units so they do not vary in appearance.  Good luck in your selection and collection of figures

Offline Madmick

• Scientist
« Reply #26 on: September 18, 2014, 08:15:44 AM »
Have you looked at 1st Corps?

Offline Bluebottle

• Lurker
« Reply #27 on: September 20, 2014, 12:33:36 AM »
I need to vote Dixon as well. Their variety is second to none, and the later codes 'slim down' and match any of the others for realism.