Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
June 06, 2024, 05:44:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1696560
  • Total Topics: 118773
  • Online Today: 579
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First Foray into Non GW Miniatures! Update 7/3  (Read 5858 times)

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
Re: First Foray into Non GW Miniatures! Update 7/3
« Reply #15 on: March 07, 2013, 09:05:27 PM »
@ goon3423

If I'm honest with you mate I haven't sealed them at all at the minute. Since the blood effect turned out pretty much just as I wanted it I didn't want to mess with it by varnishing them. Of course, if these become anything other than display models I may pay for that later!  :?

Not tried the Tamiya Red. Is that the stuff that dries hard so you can make it seem like its dripping etc?

@ Scurv

Thanks a lot bro, OTT is exactly what I was going for. I think I may do some really desiccated, dry Zs in my next batch to spice things up a bit!

@ Wilkins

Thanks man! The first guy (recruit) is one of the Copplestone Scavenger Scouts. I cannot find the guy with the gas mask to save my life though! If anyone has any ideas I would love to know because I imagine they come from the same place as a couple of the Zs I have and I love the sculpts (the Z missing an arm and the girl in the night gown). If I could get some more I would love it!  :D

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #16 on: March 07, 2013, 09:13:47 PM »
Found him! He's from a game/comic series called Z War One. Can't really find many miniatures for the game and the only Zombies I can find are the ones I already have  :? Oh well, c'est la vie...

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2013, 03:43:26 AM »
now THAT is some repulsive zombieness  :D :D :D

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2013, 03:53:29 AM »
Great work. Good to see you've expanded miniature companies. Some really great minis out there that aren't GW.
You should check out the stickied topics at the top of the future wars and fantasy threads to see other manufacturers. :)

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #19 on: March 09, 2013, 09:12:30 AM »
There's a sticky in post apoc showing zed manufacturers,  should help. Take a look at my zed thread if you want to see how the various companies look side by side.

Cheers.
Now water can flow....or water can crash...be water my friend.
Sifu Bruce Lee.

Offline Not yet dead

• Librarian
    • Not Yet Dead Miniatures - Surviving the Zompoc in miniature
« Reply #20 on: March 09, 2013, 01:08:11 PM »
I really like that Mechanic Guy, nice pose. Who makes him??

Oh Yeah, and your Zombies are dead cool....

Didn't read the Whole thread  :)
« Last Edit: March 09, 2013, 01:15:55 PM by Not yet dead »
Not Yet Dead Miniatures - Surviving the Zompoc in miniature... http://www.nyd-miniatures.com

Offline Commander Vyper

• Galactic Brain
  • Remember Reach.
« Reply #21 on: March 09, 2013, 05:34:44 PM »
I really like that Mechanic Guy, nice pose. Who makes him??

Cold war miniatures mate.

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2013, 07:19:02 PM »
@ Gun Bunny

Thanks bro, exactly the desired response!

@ Beefcake

Cheers mate, it's been fun painting some different stuff with different character. Checked out the sticky and even though I've seen quite a few of them there are soooo many more for me to properly peruse!

@ Commander Vyper

I'll check out your thread soon man when I get a chance. I strangely haven't checked out the sticky on post apoc. Another thing on my to read list  ;)

@ Not Yet Dead

The model is from Z War One actually. It's a game that's based on a comic / game / story / thing. Don't think they produce the models anymore actually as there only seems to be one set out there. If anyone can find anymore I'd be greatly appreciative  :D

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2013, 09:45:18 PM »

Here's my latest progress toward getting some sort of survivor band finished. I've started painting the awesome Lead Adventure 'The Last Heroes' set.

All the minitures in this set are incredibly detailed and hardly needed any cleaning up at all!

Here's my first anyway...

None other than the Omega man himself, Dr Robert Neville!

I've tried to keep the colours as similar as possible to the Will Smith version in I Am Legend.

How did I do?

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2013, 07:11:40 PM »

Here's my latest progress toward getting some sort of survivor band finished. I've started painting the awesome Lead Adventure 'The Last Heroes' set.

All the minitures in this set are incredibly detailed and hardly needed any cleaning up at all!

Here's my first anyway...

None other than the Omega man himself, Dr Robert Neville!

I've tried to keep the colours as similar as possible to the Will Smith version in I Am Legend.

How did I do?

very recognizable paint work( this is meant only as suggestion/ comment) have you considered a lightening of flesh tone so that a wash on the head might be seen as the stubble from a buzz-cut?(curious)  :)

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #25 on: March 20, 2013, 09:10:20 PM »
If I'm honest I really struggle with dark skin tones and it was all I could do to actually get it looking as it is. You're definitely right though. Maybe I'll revisit him after I've done the rest and see if I can get him his stubble on! :D

Any suggestions on painting darker tones? I've still got Eli to do from the set and any suggestions / advice would be really welcome.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
« Reply #26 on: March 20, 2013, 09:12:42 PM »
Nice work!

Not sure you'll go back to GW now...

Offline Deadspace1

• Assistant
    • Monsters and Machines
« Reply #27 on: March 20, 2013, 09:38:32 PM »
I think GW still has its place but I'm certainly not going to be purchasing anywhere near as much as I used to from them. There's just so much more out there! Although I'll probably just end up spending more money on models  :?

Offline Gun bunny

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: March 22, 2013, 01:55:36 PM »
If I'm honest I really struggle with dark skin tones and it was all I could do to actually get it looking as it is. You're definitely right though. Maybe I'll revisit him after I've done the rest and see if I can get him his stubble on! :D

Any suggestions on painting darker tones? I've still got Eli to do from the set and any suggestions / advice would be really welcome.

only way i find is to use a piece of card as a palette and hand mix colors (doesn't always work but i have gotten some cool colors before, also write down your color amounts for reuse later, i do that ...now  :? )

Offline Johnno

• Mastermind
« Reply #29 on: March 22, 2013, 02:06:16 PM »
I think GW still has its place but I'm certainly not going to be purchasing anywhere near as much as I used to from them. There's just so much more out there! Although I'll probably just end up spending more money on models  :?

:D Agreed! :D

Dr Neville looks spot on.
Yearly painting challenges only show me how useless I am at painting...