Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 09:49:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: First Foray into Generic Fantasy Fun! [Update 07/07/2011]  (Read 7752 times)

Offline B. Basiliscus

• Scientist
  • Bless us and splash us, my precious!
Re: First Foray into Generic Fantasy Fun! ....sorry
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 05:56:11 PM »
I noticed earlier in the thread that you briefly mentioned getting into terrain building, and I'd like to suggest something.
Towels.
Yes, that's right. Towels.
Easy to use, cheap (compared to actual foam and cardboard gaming table methods), and a real space saver if you're worried about it.
You find a towel the color of a moss green meadow, or of a dry desolate desert and add to it with outcroppings of rock and trees - maybe a ruined castle or the corpse of a slain dragon.
I don't remember who exactly did this brilliant little bit of terrain, but I remember it being in the Future Wars board.

The method has served me well, it will more than likely be a good thing for you too!

Also, that mini is gorgeous.
Keep up the good work!

Offline Longbottom Leaf

• Assistant
« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2011, 06:16:46 PM »
I noticed earlier in the thread that you briefly mentioned getting into terrain building, and I'd like to suggest something.
Towels.
Easy to use, cheap (compared to actual foam and cardboard gaming table methods), and a real space saver if you're worried about it.
You find a towel the color of a moss green meadow, or of a dry desolate desert and add to it with outcroppings of rock and trees - maybe a ruined castle or the corpse of a slain dragon.
I don't remember who exactly did this brilliant little bit of terrain, but I remember it being in the Future Wars board.

The method has served me well, it will more than likely be a good thing for you too!

Keep up the good work!

That is a FANTASTIC idea!  :o Thank you for mentioning it!

Also, thanks for the kind words!

Small hobby update coming soon!

:)
"When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro." - Hunter S. Thompson

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2011, 07:15:35 PM »
Welcome, and great looking miniatures.  I really like the inner cloak layering(?) and the different shades of metal on the sword.  The face is also fantastic, very well done.

As for GW Washes, you know there is a GW in Halifax (if you can put up with them trying to sell you one of their starter sets, it would save you on postage).

Offline Longbottom Leaf

• Assistant
« Reply #18 on: July 07, 2011, 08:10:00 PM »
Welcome, and great looking miniatures.  I really like the inner cloak layering(?) and the different shades of metal on the sword.  The face is also fantastic, very well done.

As for GW Washes, you know there is a GW in Halifax (if you can put up with them trying to sell you one of their starter sets, it would save you on postage).

Thank you very much for the compliments!

As far as the GW in Halifax, it is a great suggestion, but I currently live in Cape Breton. So with the price of gas the way it is....probably cheaper for postage.

Thanks again!

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
« Reply #19 on: July 07, 2011, 08:16:52 PM »
Towels.

Keep up the good work!

That is sheer genius!

Offline Andrew May

• Mastermind
    • Meridian Miniatures
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2011, 08:40:48 PM »
I would have thought a bit of heavy cloth would serve you better?
I can see minis falling over on fluffy towel.  :?
Still, nice idea.  ;)

Offline goon3423

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: July 07, 2011, 09:07:16 PM »
Great painting, lovely and tidy, pretty much all "inside the lines". If you want to take if one step up then I'd suggest you invest in a box of GW washes, they're perfect for bringing a mini to life with just that bit extra depth. For that mini all you'd need would be brown and black washes to make it tip top! Keep up the good work. :D 
Yeah second this one. GW washes are one of the few things they make that I will still purchase from them, they are a great product (though I hate myself for saying it but I also love their dry brushes). A wash on the armor would really make the details pop. The face looks great, your off to a great fantasy start...oh, and welcome aboard!
I am looking for the following Deadlands minis:  Shotgun Thug, Lost Soul, Cleaners, Railroad Workers & Feral Dead. If you have any of these minis, or if you are one, please send me a PM.

Offline Longbottom Leaf

• Assistant
« Reply #22 on: July 07, 2011, 11:08:17 PM »
Yeah second this one. GW washes are one of the few things they make that I will still purchase from them, they are a great product (though I hate myself for saying it but I also love their dry brushes). A wash on the armor would really make the details pop. The face looks great, your off to a great fantasy start...oh, and welcome aboard!

Thank you! I can't wait to see what the washes are going to do to for me.

Offline Longbottom Leaf

• Assistant
« Reply #23 on: July 07, 2011, 11:16:56 PM »
Hello all!

Today is a good day. I have a few hobby updates to pass along.

First up is the first attempt at creating a Skulldred stat card.

I think it looks pretty good. The template is awesome!

Next up is a purchase I made at the local dollar store....not the best of sculpts, but I will see how they look after a coat of paint. A buck for ten of them....had to give them a shot.  :D

Lastly is my first purchase to start my own lead pile  ;)

It was 15$ Canadian shipped for the whole lot.

Not sure what most of them are, but it seemed like a good deal!

Till next time, when I will have Ardellen finished, and moving onto a grumpy member of the Dwarven kind.

Offline Doomhippie

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: First Foray into Generic Fantasy Fun! [Update 07/07/2011]
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2011, 12:33:15 AM »
The good thing about having a lead pile is that you can always pick a miniature you really don't need and just try out different techniques on them. Looks like a good deal to me what you got.
Roky Erickson flies my spaceship!

Offline A_Train

• Scientist
    • My Blog
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2011, 12:50:09 AM »
Awesome start.  I currently have a lead pile of nothing, and am beginning to build it as we speak.

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2011, 08:13:31 AM »
Oooohhh... Alternative Armies...  :-*

Just remeber that the GW washes are really matt these days - I actually prefer their old washes and inks for metal and other 'shining' surfaces, to preserve a sheen. (And, no, I don't care much for NMM - much to much work, and too odd an effect, when the sheen doesn't shift with the direction of the light.)

One can, of course, just hightlight the metal, again, though.
Ask at the LAF, and answer shall thy be given!

Cultist #84

Offline phreedh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Carpe plumbum!
    • Phreedh's Ministuff
« Reply #27 on: July 08, 2011, 09:42:58 AM »
Great stuff there Longbottom! Now, stop buying and get painting! When I started out my Stillburg project about a year ago, I was intending to paint as I went. Unfortunately, there have been too many deals "too good to pass up" so now I'm sitting here with hundreds and hundreds of unpainted old citadel miniatures.  :? I call it my collection, my wife call it clutter .Go figure. =D
Please visit my miniature gaming blog at http://ministuff.godzilla.se

Offline Longbottom Leaf

• Assistant
« Reply #28 on: July 08, 2011, 01:40:03 PM »
And, no, I don't care much for NMM - much to much work, and too odd an effect, when the sheen doesn't shift with the direction of the light.)

Yeah, I agree with your views on NMM. It looks lovely on a golden demon entry, and the people that can do it well bring out stunning results, but the look just isn't for me.

Great stuff there Longbottom! Now, stop buying and get painting!

Yes sir!  :D

...so now I'm sitting here with hundreds and hundreds of unpainted old citadel miniatures.  :? I call it my collection, my wife call it clutter .Go figure. =D

lol...So far so good with the wife, she actually thinks the mini's are really cool (for now).

She will be one of my main opponents in game. She is currently trying to decide which warband she would like to start with. It is a toss-up between "half naked mean Amazon type warrior woman", and "evil forest guardians (Faeries, Satyrs, Dryads..etc)".

EDIT: I was just wondering if anyone knew if Reaper's "Swag Points" that are on the back of their blisters are still good for anything? Thanks!
« Last Edit: July 08, 2011, 01:42:45 PM by Longbottom Leaf »

Offline Argonor

• Elder God
  • Attic Attack: Mead and Dice!
    • Argonor's Wargames
« Reply #29 on: July 08, 2011, 01:48:58 PM »
Yeah, I agree with your views on NMM. It looks lovely on a golden demon entry, and the people that can do it well bring out stunning results, but the look just isn't for me.

Exactly - good for showcase models, not so good for gaming ones.

lol...So far so good with the wife, she actually thinks the mini's are really cool (for now).

She will be one of my main opponents in game. She is currently trying to decide which warband she would like to start with. It is a toss-up between "half naked mean Amazon type warrior woman", and "evil forest guardians (Faeries, Satyrs, Dryads..etc)".

Wish I could say that of my wife. She sews good medieval cuostumes, though...
Am trying to train my little girls to game instead.  ;)

EDIT: I was just wondering if anyone knew if Reaper's "Swag Points" that are on the back of their blisters are still good for anything? Thanks!

Been wondering that myself...