Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 20, 2024, 12:41:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689750
  • Total Topics: 118293
  • Online Today: 742
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Ronin, by Osprey!  (Read 65316 times)

Offline Whtknt1066

• Assistant
Re: Ronin, by Osprey!
« Reply #270 on: September 07, 2013, 06:37:02 AM »
@Smith-companies like Osprey and board members like you and Craig (is the Craig of IHMN the same Craig as Ronin?) are the reason I disdain playing anything with a Games Workshop logo on it now. It thrills me to NO END that I, as a player, can ask for material and have my voice heard! I'm aware that I may not get what I want, but to have an actual voice that is paid attention to by the publishers and game designers is awesome. I own Ronin and all four Buntai, In Her Majesties Name and two gangs, will immediately purchase the supplement book to IHMN when it comes out, and am already saving for Fist Full Of Kung Fu and the minis Nick will bring out for that. I'm a fan of you, Osprey, and I'm glad you're brining out these skirmish games. 

As for the supplemental material Smith mentioned above-excellent! Perfect! All I want is a way to get my Tengu, Oni and undead Samurai on the board and I'm happy.  I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks again for listening and engaging!

Andrew

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #271 on: September 07, 2013, 07:26:36 AM »
@Smith-companies like Osprey and board members like you and Craig (is the Craig of IHMN the same Craig as Ronin?) are the reason I disdain playing anything with a Games Workshop logo on it now. It thrills me to NO END that I, as a player, can ask for material and have my voice heard! I'm aware that I may not get what I want, but to have an actual voice that is paid attention to by the publishers and game designers is awesome. I own Ronin and all four Buntai, In Her Majesties Name and two gangs, will immediately purchase the supplement book to IHMN when it comes out, and am already saving for Fist Full Of Kung Fu and the minis Nick will bring out for that. I'm a fan of you, Osprey, and I'm glad you're brining out these skirmish games. 

As for the supplemental material Smith mentioned above-excellent! Perfect! All I want is a way to get my Tengu, Oni and undead Samurai on the board and I'm happy.  I'm looking forward to it.  Thanks again for listening and engaging!

Andrew

This is a good point about the way Osprey are engaging with the wargaming community. I saw Mr Smith's interview in WSS and was pretty interested in what's to come (need anyone to write the Border Reiver rules? :D).

Offline Dewbakuk

• Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #272 on: September 07, 2013, 11:34:22 AM »
(is the Craig of IHMN the same Craig as Ronin?)

Different Craig.
So many projects..... so little time.......

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
    • Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff
« Reply #273 on: September 09, 2013, 09:11:16 AM »
Cheers guys, I'm glad you like what we're doing. There's a lot of cool stuff to come...

Do please feel free to drop me an email – wargames@ospreypublishing.com (also just under my avatar) – with any thoughts, opinions, suggestions or comments you have. I'll do my best to reply to each one (spamfilter permitting!) as soon as I can. Or PM me here – whatever works.

Criticisms are just as welcome as positive comments – I won't learn otherwise! For example, after seeing much of the negative feedback on the design of the OWG titles, I am tweaking it to respond to the main issues – chiefly the amount of white space (there will still be margins – they're needed for some books more than others – but they will be narrower from now on) and the clarity of headers (more distinction between the various levels). Current plan is for this to come in with OWG 6: A Fistful of Kung Fu.
Phil Smith
Head of Osprey Games

Plastic Malpractice – Kitbashing, Wargames & Stuff

OWG Resources HERE!

Offline Buntaro

• Assistant
« Reply #274 on: September 10, 2013, 11:41:12 AM »
Hi everybody !
A question for Nick : have you planned the following minis ?
- Faction leader (the same mounted and on foot)
- Banners for each buntaï
- Bunch of ninjas
- Ikko-Ikki buntaï
- Peasants buntaï
- Koreans buntaï
- Chinese buntaï
Have a good day !
Bye !
Buntaro

Offline nicknorthstar

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #275 on: September 10, 2013, 01:20:04 PM »
Not straight away as we are working on other Osprey books. But we'll have design time next year to start working back through the ranges.

Offline Kadzik

• Librarian
    • Kadzikowo
« Reply #276 on: September 17, 2013, 11:07:00 AM »
I've just got my Sohei Buntai. Sculpt is great but I'm goint to replace naganata with wire (long weapons made of white metale makes me worried every time I play).

Some time ago I've made small table for Ronin. It's approximately 70x70 cm (28"x28"). It should be sufficient for smaller games. Buildings are in WIP state and I will finish them till the end of October.

More on my blog: kadzikowo

Offline blacksoilbill

• Mastermind
« Reply #277 on: September 17, 2013, 11:36:08 AM »
That's a great looking table - the colour variation is really eye-catching and interesting.

Bill.

Offline commissarmoody

• Galactic Brain
    • Moodys Adventures
« Reply #278 on: September 17, 2013, 05:43:40 PM »
Any one doing a medieval or renaissance mod for Ronin?
"Peace" is that brief, glorious moment in history when everybody stands around reloading.

- Anonymous

Offline Franz_Josef

• Scientist
Re: Ronin, by Osprey! 2 Questions
« Reply #279 on: September 29, 2013, 02:57:28 PM »
I have two questions, one for Nick and one for the forum.  Nick, as regards Factions makeup, on page 26 of the Osprey rules under Model List, it says that each Buntai is to have a Leader who will be the highest ranked model (if two models have the same rank, the player chooses which is the Leader).  For the Bandit faction, on page 36 under Composition, it says that there may only be one rank 3 model in a Bandit Buntai.  Also on page 36, it says Bandits may hire Ronin.  On page 43, the lowest ranked Ronin is a 3.  Does that mean that if Bandits hire a Ronin, he is the only rank 3 figure and therefore the Buntai Leader?  Also, not a question, but how about adding: iron war fans (for Hatamoto, could use to block attacks), jitte (for Koreans, Ninja, Koryu - could be a skill like Niten, for the off-hand); Sumo wrestler (as a "Sword"" for Hire?)?   

Forum members:  I have some of the old War of Legend of the Five Rings miniatures (only those that looked like real samurai and Japanese civilians; not those in fantasy "amalgams" of Japanese and Mongol armor).  As I might like to supplement those for play with Ronin, what manufacturers scale up with them?  The Perry Japanese are fantastic, but Perry figures are usually a bit "slight" to stand alongside many 28mm figure lines.   

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #280 on: September 30, 2013, 08:31:17 AM »
Swords-for-hire such as the Ronin do not count towards the Bandit gang's restriction – see page 42, 'Swords-for-Hire' section: "these models will not be subject to any special scoring rules and are not counted when determining Buntai composition". Only the highest ranked bandit figure becomes the leader of the Buntai.

As for new weapons and swords-for-hire, we'll see what comes up in the supplemental material. In the meantime, I suggest using the Kasurigama weapon and Niten advanced bujutsu to represent an iron fan. For the jitte, I'd use the same combination, but with the Kasurigama special ability +1 to any Disarm (rather than Subdue) attempt. If you want someone even more adept, just select the Kasurigamajutsu bujutsu as well. That's not official, just how I'd deal with them.

Offline Lowtardog

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #281 on: September 30, 2013, 11:39:52 AM »
I have two questions, one for Nick and one for the forum.  Nick, as regards Factions makeup, on page 26 of the Osprey rules under Model List, it says that each Buntai is to have a Leader who will be the highest ranked model (if two models have the same rank, the player chooses which is the Leader).  For the Bandit faction, on page 36 under Composition, it says that there may only be one rank 3 model in a Bandit Buntai.  Also on page 36, it says Bandits may hire Ronin.  On page 43, the lowest ranked Ronin is a 3.  Does that mean that if Bandits hire a Ronin, he is the only rank 3 figure and therefore the Buntai Leader?  Also, not a question, but how about adding: iron war fans (for Hatamoto, could use to block attacks), jitte (for Koreans, Ninja, Koryu - could be a skill like Niten, for the off-hand); Sumo wrestler (as a "Sword"" for Hire?)?   

Forum members:  I have some of the old War of Legend of the Five Rings miniatures (only those that looked like real samurai and Japanese civilians; not those in fantasy "amalgams" of Japanese and Mongol armor).  As I might like to supplement those for play with Ronin, what manufacturers scale up with them?  The Perry Japanese are fantastic, but Perry figures are usually a bit "slight" to stand alongside many 28mm figure lines.   

I only have a couple of their Ninja, however maybe Black Hat and the Northstar minis would be more chunky and a better fit

Offline ducat

• Librarian
« Reply #282 on: October 02, 2013, 07:25:27 PM »

I have found the West Wind figures stand up well to the old Clan War stuff.

Offline Smith

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #283 on: October 17, 2013, 09:32:12 AM »
A points calculator for Ronin is now available on the Osprey site:

Also available is an errata sheet that includes a couple of new rule suggestions.

Offline Buntaro

• Assistant
« Reply #284 on: October 17, 2013, 11:40:18 AM »
Good ! Thanks !