Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 02:36:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Friends, Romans, countrymen, lend me your ears...  (Read 193293 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Campaign Results
« Reply #600 on: June 19, 2014, 10:36:50 PM »
Sorry Mr. Furt, my mistake....I was thinking you had some difficulties with your event list but i was wrong.   :-X

So Mr. Elbows should we understand between the arena fights and the events you have lost all your gladiators ?

I was down to a handful of gladiators at one point.  My slaves have been recruited and suitably trained, but my buddy's ludus is now in proper command of the campaign. I have a couple of worthwhile guys left.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #601 on: June 22, 2014, 05:37:57 PM »
Mr. Furt,

Consideration of tiredness, the most important factor in a gladiatorial combat, seems to work well. As i understand the examples shown above, you've take care of weapons and armors weight, combined move & fight actions and injuries.

Do gladiators gain additional fatigue points in the end of each round ?
I've seen that some wounds can bleed. Does the blood loss influence fatigue points to force the fighters to surrender ?
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 05:42:18 PM by Eithriall »
"Civilized men are more discourteous than savages because they know they can be impolite without having their skulls split, as a general thing.”Robert E. Howard, The Tower of The Elephant, 1933

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #602 on: June 22, 2014, 09:34:45 PM »
Mr. Furt,

Consideration of tiredness, the most important factor in a gladiatorial combat, seems to work well. As i understand the examples shown above, you've take care of weapons and armors weight, combined move & fight actions and injuries.

Do gladiators gain additional fatigue points in the end of each round ?
I've seen that some wounds can bleed. Does the blood loss influence fatigue points to force the fighters to surrender ?

Each turn all gladiators gain a fatigue counter, during the "Fatigue & Bleeding Phase".

At this time, bleeding counters may also turn into additional fatigue counters if a Stamina test is failed against their number.

Some helmets, namely the Secutor and Arbelas helm, the scutum and full torso armour are considered fatiguing equipment. These also add to the number of bleeding counters cause extra fatigue each turn, after 2 turns have passed.

A gladiator has different levels of fatigue, which affect the amount of arena dice (governing his actions) he rolls. If he reaches "Spent", the gladiator is forced to ask for missio.

Should both gladiators simultaneously reach the "Spent" condition during the same Fatigue and Bleeding Phase, they are offered diludium, during which time the combatants will be allowed a brief interlude and given minor aid.

Hope this answers your queries mate.  :)

“A prisoner of war is a man who tries to kill you and fails, and then asks you not to kill him.”

http://adventuresinlead.blogspot.com/

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #603 on: June 23, 2014, 10:53:00 AM »
As always, you meet all my expectations.   :D

And it's very great because fatigue, as experimental archeology shows it, is perhaps the most important factor in a fight. A gladiatorial combat is fast, technical and violent and it last no more than 10mn. Fighters are quickly threaten by hypoxia (and if you add the wounds...).

So, a fighter has to submit his opponent not too fast to please the editor and the crowd but not too long or he risks himsel to be exhausted and defeated. A gladiatorial combat is finally an incredible technical and demanding fighting sport.   o_o

I'm not sure i still have queries about BOTS because it seems you 've got it all planed out !   ;)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Playsheet Images
« Reply #604 on: June 24, 2014, 02:46:09 AM »
As always, you meet all my expectations.   :D

Glad you approve Eithriall!  :)

While searching through my camera today I found some shots taken during playtesting.

Nothing great but shows the new playsheets in use along with some unseen armatura sheets.

Will hopefully have a bit of an announcement to post here soon.  :)

« Last Edit: June 24, 2014, 02:48:09 AM by Furt »

Offline Forofo27

• Bookworm
« Reply #605 on: June 24, 2014, 06:33:21 AM »
Very nice, were I can order one?

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #606 on: June 24, 2014, 06:49:45 AM »
 :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*

The game design is definitively awesome and immersive ! The armaturae are pretty damn cool.

Will hopefully have a bit of an announcement to post here soon.

I just can't wait any longer....  ;D

As a gamer and an avid amateur historian, everything that i've learned since i've joined this thread is ferociously challenging my patience and my desire to play this great game.   o_o

Nice job Mr Furt. I am already looking for the store which will sell this future success.   8)

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #607 on: June 24, 2014, 08:08:28 AM »
Looking great Franky Boy!

:)
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #608 on: June 25, 2014, 12:57:08 AM »
Very nice, were I can order one?

I'd like to know that myself!?!?! Hopefully in the near future I will have an answer to that...

:-*   :-*   :-*   :-*   :-*

The game design is definitively awesome and immersive ! The armaturae are pretty damn cool.

I just can't wait any longer....  ;D

Thanks Eithriall. I owe all the look of the game to Dr. Mathias.

Thanks Nicky Boy! I was hoping to see you busy lads continue your bouts in the arena. Hell it would clear up a lot of the banter on this forum!  lol

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #609 on: June 25, 2014, 09:55:19 PM »

Thanks Nicky Boy! I was hoping to see you busy lads continue your bouts in the arena. Hell it would clear up a lot of the banter on this forum!  lol

lol

Have no fear we shall return to Cappua, probably in the Autumn.(got to get Texas and the Comanche out of my system first.) ;)

Offline Too Bo Coo

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The Adder Noir
Re: Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Playsheet Images
« Reply #610 on: June 26, 2014, 03:39:16 AM »

:)

Holy Smokes Frank! Someone's been hard at work!  Game looks great!
"A little nonsense now and then, is relished by the wisest men."
-Willy Wonka

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
« Reply #611 on: June 26, 2014, 04:41:35 AM »
Have no fear we shall return to Cappua, probably in the Autumn.(got to get Texas and the Comanche out of my system first.) ;)

I had the feeling your time has been otherwise occupied mate.  ;)

Holy Smokes Frank! Someone's been hard at work!  Game looks great!

Thanks TBC - I'm am very happy with the look too.

The last thing I was discussing with Dr. Mathias is the need for a Blood on the Sands "logo". That would be the icing on the cake.  :)

Offline Eithriall

• Scientist
  • Ars longa, vita brevis
« Reply #612 on: June 26, 2014, 01:17:00 PM »
If you're looking for a "logo" that means you already have an illustration for your rulebook cover...   ???

Are you planning a rulebook with photos and/or drawings inside ?

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #613 on: June 26, 2014, 11:01:12 PM »
Yes, he's shown some prototype images for a cover etc.  It's all being well handled thus far.  :)

Offline Furt

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Barbarous...
    • "Adventures in Lead"
Re: Gladiator bouts: Blood on the Sands **NEW** Bots Covers
« Reply #614 on: June 27, 2014, 07:07:34 AM »
Yes, he's shown some prototype images for a cover etc.  It's all being well handled thus far.  :)

I have tentatively shown a few test covers to some of the playtesters with varying thoughts...

The first two covers include images from our own extremely talented, Mad Doc Morris, from his post http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=34269.0. They have been used with his permission. The majority of comments, including those from Mad Doc Morris himself, were against using images of actual miniatures on the cover, even miniatures painted to such a high standard. Most believed that this style of cover did not come across as professional looking. This reflects in no way on Mad Doc Morris's painting skill - I would give my left arm to have half his talent.

The last cover uses an image I have used before on my playtest sheets by Neil Blade, an artist on the deviantART site http://neilblade.deviantart.com/art/Arena-146734177. I have used this image without permission, because I have tried numerous times to contact the artist to no avail. So unfortunately although I like the piece it is unlikely I could use it anyway. Comments were a little more favorable towards this style of cover. It was also mentioned that the pattern at top and bottom served no real purpose and was distracting.

Are you planning a rulebook with photos and/or drawings inside ?

I was planning on using images from the talented so and so's here on LAF, but as we stand I don't know exactly what will be required for interior art/images. I'd image there will be a need for some diagrams too.

In saying that, if anyone has some high quality pics of nicely painted gladiators they are happy to put forward, I'd love to see them.
« Last Edit: June 27, 2014, 07:20:51 AM by Furt »