Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 16, 2024, 07:14:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689240
  • Total Topics: 118265
  • Online Today: 526
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Southern Advance...... ACW...... * 49th GEORGIA *  (Read 2596 times)

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
Southern Advance...... ACW...... * 49th GEORGIA *
« on: March 14, 2013, 07:02:22 PM »
                  Here is some more of my latest ACW progress The figures are manufactured by Old Glory 1st editions
                  and some mixed in Sash and Saber miniatures.

Updated pictures will follow.

« Last Edit: March 17, 2013, 07:10:47 PM by Painter Jim »

Offline General Lee

• Mad Scientist
Re: Southern Advance...... ACW
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 10:53:49 PM »
it never gets old to paint Confederates now does it?  :D nice work, can't wait to see them finished!
\"It is well that war is so terrible, or we should grow too fond of it.\"

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 02:35:46 PM »
Thank you General Lee, I am adding one picture for the moment and will add the rest this evening, work has called and a readjusting of schedule is at hand but will arrive back at the nest with plenty of time for a follow up on the rest.

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2013, 01:18:39 PM »
Nice looking unit but the pics are a bit to far away and too dull , not a complaint more of a frustration at not getting a better look at som Reb eye candy.And yes it never gets tiring painting Rebs :-)

Cheers AL

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2013, 11:48:42 AM »
Yes, you clearly have a nice set-up but the pics don't show well your work....perhaps you need more light in the room so that it doesn't look this way...and more close-ups.

Also, what sort of tacking material do you use to keep the figs on those nails???

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
Re: Southern Advance...... ACW......* 49th GEORGIA*
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2013, 04:58:57 PM »
The clarity of the pictures was intended as to not take away from the final photo session, ....... to have a more pleasurable experience of them completed, I just become to anchious at times to post.

The Old Glory's were a challenge to paint, with straps for equipment disapearing abruptly into oblivion and the Old Glory Sicillian ACW packaged lot purchased are not ACW but are made for Mexican American War and are  of a rather different larger size compared to the other ACW OG's in the photos, I helped eliminate this buy taking down the base with a bench grinder with a smooth sharpening wheel attached.

The sicillian caped OG's are very fragile in the area casted  were the pants meet the socks, shoe area and believe me there is nothing worse than having a finished painted figure separate at the slightest of handling. I am sure these will separate while gaming in no time. I am not going to even paint the remainder of the batch for this reason.

The bottom line is, you get what you pay for, and in my quest to bring diversity of posses and manufacturers to a war gaming table, does not always work out as intended. This is not a rant on a manufacturer but just a sharing of a product in an informative way for the community.

49th GEORGIA
                                                                         ANV
                                                                 Thomas, Brigade
                                                           Brig. Gen. EDWARD R. THOMAS
                                                                   WILCOX'S DIVISION.
                                                            Maj. Gen. CADMUS M. WILCOX
                                                                 (May 1863-April 1865)

« Last Edit: March 20, 2013, 05:25:45 AM by Painter Jim »

Offline alcal

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2013, 06:35:58 PM »

Mixing the units looks great but i see what you mean about the feet,the only saving grace is at this scale you can drill up into the leg and down into the foot and super glue a small steel rod to hold them together if they go.

Anyhow nice work

AL

Offline Painter Jim

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2013, 05:59:45 PM »
Yes, you clearly have a nice set-up but the pics don't show well your work....perhaps you need more light in the room so that it doesn't look this way...and more close-ups.

Also, what sort of tacking material do you use to keep the figs on those nails???

The adhesive used is glue from a hot gun.