Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 29, 2024, 04:01:56 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1691079
  • Total Topics: 118370
  • Online Today: 843
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Starting Napoleonics  (Read 4153 times)

Offline Vette114

• Lurker
Starting Napoleonics
« on: March 20, 2013, 06:24:42 AM »
So I am interested mostly in ACW and have begun collecting an couple forces, 1 union and 1 CSA. Recently I have been drawn to the times of Napoleon but haven't read near as much as I have on ACW. I was looking at general de brigade deluxe in hopes that it would give me a reference for organization and maybe some pictures to paint by.

Any good reviews or points for GDB? Is there another ruleset that would give me a good background/view of napoleonics?

Any help would be really appreciated!

Matt

"Tomorrow: your reward for working safely today." - Robert Pelton

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Re: Starting Napoleonics
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2013, 08:09:09 AM »
Sharp Practice from the Too Fat Lardies.
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline swordman

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Librarian
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2013, 08:27:00 AM »
GdB is a very good choice.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2013, 09:25:18 PM »
Me and my dad have just started playing GdB, no complaints as yet!

Offline Golgotha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • BMC Miniatures - All things wargame related.
« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2013, 10:19:22 PM »
Black powder and agreed two fat lardies sharp practice and GdB.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2013, 10:50:27 PM by Golgotha »

Offline julesav

• Scientist
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2013, 10:07:58 AM »
The 'Waterloo' book (by the now defunct Warhammer Historical branch of Games Workshop) had a fairly good historical background and painting guide included as long as you wanted French/Prussian and British plus their allies. You might be able to find a second-hand copy on Ebay or the like?

I can't comment on the rules as I've never played them but they seem to read through ok!
"Some scientists say that humans exhibit a behavior called neophilia, which is a preference for new objects. It’s why we like shiny new things."

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2013, 10:45:57 PM »
Hi V

Good shout about Napoleonics I do like gaming this period and have a few armies ,we have a few members that play nap. in all scale and a few different set of rules

Age of eagle
       Very good set of rules your smallest unit on the field will be Brigade (6-12 stands )! so we play these rules in 10mm and it means that you could play with 1 or 2 corps on the table  which is around 30k men to a corp, very fast moving game  inf  brigades can move 9" in a turn so playing on a 6x4 table you are in action right away !

Shako
   good set of rule Again smallest unit is a Battalion(only 3 stand to a bn = 12figs )  so more of a divisional game to play
we play these rules using 15mm as can have a good game on a 6x4 table or smaller

GdeB
   A very Good set of rule i do like these rule but on  a brigade setting you are looking at  a battalion of 36 figs for a french bn and brit guard 40figs ! we play these rules in 15mm OR 25mm but playing in 25mm using these rules are great but you do need a BIG table and loads of figs if you are going to refight any real battle ,but just putting a brigade or 2 on the table and having a go is great fun...

all these rules are bloody good its just what  tactical level you would like to play and scale to do it in ,i hope you do get into this period as the uniforms are great the tatics are mind blowing and i never get bored of gaming this period been doing it for 25+ years

I hope this help  happy gaming LR,

« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:48:31 PM by LawnRanger »

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2013, 10:55:40 PM »
General de Brigade/Marcheal de France  - spelling alert? - were originally written for Baccus 6 mm (1/300th) figures I believe.  https://www.baccus6mm.com/index.php?content=polemos

I will eventually use them for 1/600th scale figures with "lots" of figures on a stand.

Gracias,

Glenn
« Last Edit: March 28, 2013, 10:57:40 PM by Conquistador »
Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2013, 11:32:50 PM »
Intesting ? Will you be using 15mm frontage and how many figs do you think you will get on a single base ?

If you are going to use 15mm frontage  i take it you will then use 15mm movement and shooting ranges ? if so dont you think that firing ranges will look a bit out of scale  a 6mm fig firing 20cm  thats 8" .?

good luck with your project hope it works out well .
LR

Offline Slekke

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2013, 01:06:11 PM »
Well to start quickly you should try "LASALLE".  With a min of units you can start playing !

On time you can redirect to other rulesets.

Personally the best army list I ever found was from the book "NAPOLEON" from foundry wargames.

You are from ? country ?

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 04:28:22 PM »
Conquistador
    i think you might have got your rules muddled up a bit ,with GdeB and Polemos rules "General de Division"

Hi V
  I think most rules you can start with min units its just what tactical level you would like to play wherther you would like to move round single battalions Or regiments or even whole Brigades at a time ,

but playing with the right set of rules at the start is a must ! there is nothing worst than rebasing your army again after you find out that the rules/scale is not your cup of tea ...

so take your time and have a good read/chat WITH people who play the rules and games first before you jump in, it should not stop you painting up your army just that you might need more command figs or less  ;D

happy gaming LR

Offline Vette114

• Lurker
« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 04:51:24 PM »
Well I dumped some money and grabbed GDeB Deluxe, guns at gettysburg and the Albion Triumphant book. I got a membership to "Old Glory Army" and I am planning on ordering some miniatures soon. I did notice GDeB required a lot of figures but the Delixe book itself was really a good purchase.

I am thinking about using Blackpowder rules at the moment as they are a bit lighter. I am out of Montana, USA so opponents are few and far between (read: nonexistent) so if I want to interest people it will have to be with an easier ruleset to digest I think.

Thanks for all the information still working on digesting the napoleonic stuff.

Offline LawnRanger

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: April 02, 2013, 10:14:57 PM »
Vette114
 Please go with GdeB as i think they are a CRACKING set of rules for 25mm/15mm games and they look good with them big french coloums steaming up the table and the thin red line holding steady ..

you get a real feel of  napoleonic gaming when you use these rules not shore you get the right feel from the blackpower rules its just a, Blackpower game with napoleonic figs used .. If you get my meaning ?

Any way happy gaming and good luck with the project.
LR

Offline H.M.Stanley

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2013, 12:33:29 PM »
I have 15mm and 28mm Naps armies.

Shako II if you have the figures/time otherwise LaSalle or BP
"Ho, ho, ho! Well, if it isn't fat stinking billy goat Billy Boy in poison! How art thou, thou globby bottle of cheap, stinking chip oil? Come and get one in the yarbles, if ya have any yarbles, you eunuch jelly thou!"

Offline Juan

• Mad Scientist
    • Manche´s Walpurgisnacht
« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2013, 08:09:59 PM »
I´m reading now "Shako and Musket 1803-1814", an small and free ruleset that is not bad to begin this period. My favourite is, of course GdB, a fantastic and very complete rulebook.