Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:05:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689608
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 662
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: A gaming board in less than a day (well, less than two...). Update 15 April done  (Read 5423 times)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Well, almost...

A very good friend of mine is almost getting back into the hobby, after a long hiatus playing card games and such.
He used to be a big Confrontation fan (aren't we all? Best game ever...), so when they folded he got a bit sad and left the hobby.
However, now there's a great new game, with a lot of influences from Confrontation and it's called Bushido. I'm fortunate that another firend (Henrix) is a reatainer for this game, since it was after his great demonstration at Gothcon during the easter, that I got bitten (together with about 30 other folks who emptied Bushido stocks...) and decided to get my other friend playing...

I was a bit lucky that I had a 2x2 board at home already. And I planned to have double use with this board (Pulp and Bushido).

So step 1; Groundwork:
In the past I've been sanding, doing fillers and just painting. What I've learned from this is that it looks rather horrible when play on the surface afterwards. And to be honest, I've could have done with a normal green mat and just be satisfied with that. I've been doing some other board constructions, and on those I've been doing plaster, which I've stippled about half an hour into the process to create some texture (I will explain this techique later on).

Now I wished to try yet another idea I had, so I set to the task and mixed some umbra paint, filler, sand, some small rocks, pva and water. It looks like bad porridge when your done (or other things that might leave your body during the flu). I just smashed it on the board and set to the task of leveling it with a spatula and a large paintbrush. (Got no pics from this, sorry guys)

When the mix had been evenly spread over the board, I waited for about 20 minutes, before I stippled the whole area. I do this first of all to create some irregularity. But also to make sure that there aren't clumps of filler, since that would really mess up the gaming board in the future due to it being rather porous.
I wait another 10 minutes before I take a wet paper towel and gently push back most of the stippled stuff (otherways it would look like a cave floor made out of stalagmite).
After that I start sprinkling some sand over the board. Both coarse and fine sands.
I wait another 30 minutes and then take a dry paper towel and press the sand into place. I also decided to have some puddles. Mostly since I found some big pieces of unmixed filler and had to remove them rather later on. I solved my "Oh fuck!" with a wet paper towel that I used to form the puddles.
Then I wait for about 24 hours.
It should look like this afterwards:

Now it's time for the "less then a day" part ;)

Step 2: PVA+Water in a floral spray can and just put it on the board to ensure that the sand doesn't come of. This usually takes ten minutes before it's fully dried.

Step 3: With the board fully dried, and it really needs to be fully dried, otherwise the plaster will play havoc with your board and it will warp beyound Federation Space if you don't wait the full 24 hours, I just threw on some umbra and other browns. While they were still drying, I took some very watered out green colours and put here and there on the board. This gives the board a more diverse colour, and it looks a bit more natural than just one version of brown with drybrush on it...

Step 4: The paint dries in less than an hour. This give you time to prepare the following:
A floral Spray with PVA and water.
2-3 versions of flock and 1-2 versions of static grass.
A cup of tea.
Some painkillers when the headache kicks in.

Step 5:
I can't really explain this step since the amounts of painkillers I took for the headache took me somewhere where Hendrix was playing "Watchtower" on and on. But, I sprayed, sprinkled on one version of the flock, sealed it with some more spray, sprinkled some other flock and just continued this way. I just did this for about 30 minutes and the sealed the whole board with yet another coat of PVA and Water. It looked like this then:

Step 6:
Wait an hour. Then take the floral spray can again and fill it with watered out browns and greens. Gently spray the whole board for some more depth and variation. Should look like this afterwards, or even better if you don't have to run around chasing pesky children during this process... I also threw in some PVA into the puddles to make them even.

Step 7:
I gently drybrushed some parts of the grass with some bleached bone. Also painted the puddles with some browns. I took the picture below to demonstrate how nice and uneven the board looks with this method. I also threw on some flowers and such. I stopped after four when I realised that this board will be used when we drink and game. Not the best combination when you want to do extra detailing..

And from above (with no focus):

« Last Edit: April 15, 2013, 03:40:25 PM by Silversixx »

Offline anevilgiraffe

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • http://anevilgiraffe.blogspot.com/
Re: A gaming board in less than a day (well, less than two...)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2013, 12:14:27 PM »
lovely work as always... may tart up my notice board er, board with that...

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2013, 12:30:11 PM »
lovely work as always... may tart up my notice board er, board with that...
Do so :) It's dead quick and I think that I'll stick to this formula since the groundwork is somewhere between sand and filler.

And oh, I might even do a pic for you here as well, I got something in store ;)

Offline oldskoolrebel

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • My Campaigns
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2013, 12:50:41 PM »
I really like it, and you show how easy it is to achieve a great finish in a very short period of time (I do wonder... do you fuel yourself with pure caffeine?).

What material did you use of the board?

Cheers
Andy

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2013, 02:52:55 PM »
Cheers Andy! :)
It's dead easy. Sure, you have to wait 24 hours before the first step has dried. But, the mix is extremely durable and still a bit more gentle for dropped miniatures. In comparison with the diamond fields that sanded tables generates :)
The whole processe, with time included, took roughly 6 hours.
It should be added that I took a round of matt varnish in the end to make the grass stick dven more.

The board is made out of fine mdf. A bit heavier than normal, but it barely warps.

And I don't need caffeine, I got Snus ;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2013, 04:07:30 AM »
Sorry mate I missed this.
  What a cracking WIP (groan), very nice indeed and similar to the way I do my boards,obviously you are a clever man :)
   Tea,Watchtower and painkillers(in no way do I condone the use of drugs other than there approved purpose).yeah!
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2013, 09:51:27 AM »
Cheers Guy :)
Grea men think alike ;) Funny though, since I assume you've reached the same conclusion while doing boards, and not being influenced by others?
I'll sens you a pack os snus later on ;)
And the painkillers were my missus, for when she broke her foot, so they've might have been a bit stronger than normal aspirin...

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2013, 11:57:04 PM »
Yep :) no outside influence. Synchronicity perhaps? :D
  Ooh Snus how could I say no 8) ?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2013, 08:56:25 AM »
Pm me your address, and I'll set you up with the snus special (The same as Scurv).

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Unfortunately, my saturday started with me shouting "Bloody C***". The Easy water had shrunk and creased. I tried to do something about it with a hairblower, and some extra water to get the creases out. But that didn't work at all. Anyone got some suggestions?

Anyways, now it looks like this (note the black border, hard work there).

I've also found a solution for carrying the board easily between the basement and my home (my wife destroys me with her nagging otherwise).
Just a spare blanket and a strap.

However, I've been a bit disappointed with this solution, and I really needed a bag to put all the board related stuff in. It would be easier for me to bring the board to a friend who's extremely lazy and can't be bothered to get his arse to the gaming club 4 minutes from his home (to his defence, he got kids and can't find the spare time). So to my great relief, the great bastion of faith known as IKEA produces a bag that's 65x65cm. Now that, ladies and gentleman, that's a match made in heaven! With a depth of 20 cm, I can also fit boxes of terrain and the small armies needed to play Bushido. I'll start a thread on the subject when I get the miniatures and start painting :)
This is how the bag looks (and it's name for those of you that need to haul 2x2 feet tables):

Dimpa (Linky here)

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Dimpa+Gameboard=

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
Looks good! And maybe something even I could manage and be pleased (aesthetically) with the result. Thanks for sharing.

Two questions, though - what is 'fine' mdf, and how thick was the sheet?

Offline Centaur_Seducer

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Gubbspel
Cheers Rab :)
With fine I mean the rather more massive version with a rather fine fibre density. If you look at some of the pics, you might see how it looks on the sides. It's about 1 cm thick, and hasn't warped mors than some millimetres on edges. That can be fixed easily if you aren't as lazy as I am ;)

Offline Mister Rab

• Mastermind
  • in plumbum veritas
    • Rab's Geekly Digest
With fine I mean the rather more massive version with a rather fine fibre density. If you look at some of the pics, you might see how it looks on the sides. It's about 1 cm thick, and hasn't warped mors than some millimetres on edges. That can be fixed easily if you aren't as lazy as I am ;)

Ah, gotcha. Thanks again :D

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Just caught this, mate.

Bloody brilliant!
 :-* :-* :-*

(Shame about the shrinking water stuff  >:()

I use a similar technique when I base a building, but I refer to as : Just keep piling crap on until it looks right!  ::)

I see that sock has returned, or are you desperately trying to get my sympathy and make me send you some?
 lol