Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 09:56:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690843
  • Total Topics: 118356
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Forenrond's Last Stand - A misty-eyed journey into Nostalgia!  (Read 2256 times)

Offline betterZthenDeaD

• Assistant
"Our story starts in a small Elf settlement on the fringes of the Loren forest..."

Inspired by the likes of Pil and his third edition Undead army and blogs such as Warhammer For Adults and The Realm of Zhu I've decided to jump into the 'Oldhammer' cult/club (depending on point of view!).

Back in '88 I bought a copy of the third edition rulebook from a mate at school. Being a penniless fourteen year old I had no miniature collection to speak of, so in a fit of wanton vandalism I cut the counters out from the back of the book. Also having nobody to play with I spent hours and hours moving said counters around a long discarded railway table set-up in the corner of my bedroom using my dad's tape measure (until he realised and took it back!) and two D6's I'd pinched from the family Monopoly set. Although at the time I was an Orc/Goblin nut, it was the Elves that really stayed with me. I'd spend hours pouring over the pictures in the book, from the archers to the mounted Elf Mage to the beautiful chariot. In fact almost ten years later I would walk into my local Games Workshop store and buy a complete High Elf army. Even at the time it was a significant enough purchase to have the guy at the store offer me a lift home with it. I am ashamed to say that army never saw the light of day. It sat for years in my parents loft (much of it still in the original blisters and boxes) until it was lost when they moved house about ten years ago. 

Now as I approach my impending mid-life crisis I've decided that I want Elves again. To this end I've decided to start with the army list given for the scenario in the rulebook, Forenrond's Last Stand. I've just bought this fella...

The one on the top-right to act as Corma Lightmantle, the armies general. I'm now looking to add to my collection piece by piece. The list from the book comprises of three mounted 10 man units and two 10 man units of Archers. Each of the units can be represented using classic Wood Elf miniatures from around 1997 as well as Elf minis from the early 90's. I might even expand the army to include other things such as eagles and chariots eventually! Pictures will follow as miniatures start to arrive and get some paint...  :D

former user

Re: Forenrond's Last Stand - A misty-eyed journey into Nostalgia!
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2013, 05:18:57 PM »
You will need the centerpiece vignette of Forenrond shot out of the saddle ;-) - was it while crossing a ford?

Yes, who back then did not find the idea of a starter scenario with 30! elven cavalry a bit strange?
I played it much later when I had the miniatures and it was fun, but not a good starter scenario though probably a good incentive to start collecting.

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2013, 05:23:32 PM »
We are a cult - no two ways about it  :)

Great idea for a project - looking forward to watching this develop.

Offline Estarriol

• Librarian
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2013, 06:42:36 PM »
I've always wanted to do this scenario but never seem to find the time to start. I'm looking forward to watching this one unfold!

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2013, 06:44:05 PM »
All hail oldhammer the one true fantasy mass battle game system...all hail oldhammer...

I've obviously drunk the cool aid...:)

Nice to see you tackling this project...I'll be watching with interest.

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012

Offline Vanvlak

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2013, 07:06:33 PM »
3rd ed, eh?  8)
Pity my oldest ruleset is 4th...  :(
I very recently got in a game of current Warhammer, and the rules favour large beasties with complex rules, high damage and low cost - a friend called it monsterhammer.
Sigh. I feel old.
I managed a draw with a new (but not yet all painted) army - Wood Elves, or rather Stone Elven, based on Wood Elf rules and with loads of odds and ends and models who never had their own army.  ;D

Anyway - keen to see more, so go on, inspire me to paint my own 2500 (current system) points of Woo - er, Stone Elven. And then move on to the High Elves....
« Last Edit: April 13, 2013, 07:09:09 PM by Vanvlak »

Offline betterZthenDeaD

• Assistant
« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2013, 09:33:42 PM »
Just put together and based my mounted Wood Elf General... Will post some pictures when the PVA dries! I've also just been browsing through the Warhammer Armies book as I'm thinking about putting together a small Wood Elf army rather than go for all the (expensive £££'s) cavalry models needed for the scenario. And I'm particularly struck by the section that says Wood Elf wizards can 'bind' hosts of creatures and/or etherals up to a a quarter  of the army's points value. I'm now thinking of units of painting up some 'ghostly' wood elf spirits! There's an entry for Treemen (hooray!) and even shapeshifters!

Think I'm going to concentrate of getting 30 Archers together (compulsory) and then really go to town on some crazy units!  ;D