Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 12:13:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689661
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (New warehouse complex, page 9!)  (Read 33587 times)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
Re: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM.
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2013, 09:06:01 PM »
I really agree with Elbows. The Price and Quality of the MDF kits make them very competitive compare to scratch build and allow you too save a lot of time.
I doesn't prevent you from building some scratch build also but if you want to get quickly a good size playable Old West town it is probably the best way to go.

I am there with that too, but I will happily scratch build something special if its required
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Elk101

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
« Reply #16 on: April 21, 2013, 09:11:22 PM »
I often buy a building from a range I like and look at the dimensions and style and make my own to compliment them. I don't actually copy them, just use them as 'inspiration' for lack of a better word. I like making stuff, I just rarely get the time.

Offline Conquistador

• Galactic Brain
  • There are hostile eye watching us from the arroyos
« Reply #17 on: April 22, 2013, 01:18:25 AM »
Many Old West towns were originally slapped together  :o  when there was minimal (as in none)  ::) of the later building code issues.   lol

Just a thought...

Gracias,

Glenn

Viva Alta California!  Las guerras de España,  Las guerras de las Américas,  Las guerras para la Libertad!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: April 22, 2013, 11:24:17 PM »
Particularly the small mining camps etc.  Look at things like the railroad villages which would go up and down each week - they'd just grab four walls...stick em in the mud, lash them together - throw a tarp over the roof and use it for a couple days.  You also saw a lot of actual fabric buildings (tent cities etc.).  I'd like to find a way to make some cool tent structures for my towns.  Newcomers around the outside of town etc.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2013, 11:17:27 PM »
Update:

As mentioned in the other DMH thread, I'll be starting to sell off my Sarissa and TCL buildings that I currently have.  They'll be pretty fair price, and I'll be hoping to sell them stateside (international post would kill the value).  I'll post up a comprehensive picture of what I will have available once my DMH buildings show up.  No callin' dibs until I've posted stuff!  lol

Besides, I'll have to wait till I have my new buildings constructed, as I don't want to sell stuff before I've replaced it!  lol

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #20 on: May 04, 2013, 12:32:31 AM »
EDITED - added to below post.
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 08:52:34 AM by Elbows »

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
  • Bhí mé ag ól uisce beatha
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #21 on: May 04, 2013, 03:38:20 AM »
Those are nice and if I could afford to, I'd buy some in a heartbeat.

Tents are pretty easy to make. Just go outside and get some twigs, cut them to the appropriate size and glue them together using super glue. To make the tarp you just need to make a 50/50 mix of white glue and water then put a piece of paper towel in it to soak up the mixture. Then drape the wet toweling over the sticks. Cut to fit, let dry and then dry brush the desired colour.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: May 05, 2013, 09:15:14 AM »
Update:

Well, I received the five-building town from Great Escape on Friday.  Being a huge 4Ground nut, I was pretty excited.  I was surprised by how big the packs were (4Ground kits are normally work-intensive and come with a LOT of MDF for your dollar...these appeared to be no exception).

Observations:
- I had never had a pre-painted 4Ground building so I was curious how they did it - turns out it's quite easy.  They just pre-paint/finish the MDF then laser cut it.  This puts detail on top of the colour, and adds a nice patina to the pieces (the laser burn gives off a light brown stair to the surrounding area).

-The MDF comes in two thicknesses...one of which is rather thin.  This gave me some concern as none of my other 4Ground kits came with the thinner stuff.  Some of the pieces are extremely thinly cut..so patience and a careful hand are needed.  The interior walls and certain structure elements are the thicker MDF.  Once the buildings are complete they are very sturdy - but they are quite a bit of work, and I foresee eventually breaking a piece I need.

-Some elements, while clever, are uselessly complex.  Each windows consists of no less than four pieces.  The final appearance is excellent, but it's a silly thing to make into so many pieces.  The door frames are a horrible design (very thin, a pain to install).  Again, when complete they're sturdy and look fine, but I'd have gone simpler if it were me.

-The pre-painted building pieces occasionally have over-spray on the underside.  Once I noticed this I started checking every piece.  I only have a couple which needed a sanding/scraping to make sure it would fit flush.

-As usual with 4Ground the pieces slot in perfectly and are actually a joy to complete.  I'd rate the two buildings I've done has being MUCH more difficult than the previous 4Ground stuff.

Enough blabbering...pics!

"That's a lot of MDF!"

One of the two pre-painted pieces which needed to be scraped clean (extra paint had splattered on the back and gunked it up)

The two side-street buildings I've completed so far.  First one took a careful 3 hours as I was figuring out the strategies for assembling it.  The second took half that (or less, actually).

The awning comes close on one of the taller Black Scorpion figures but he fits --- so it's easy to guess ANY old west figures will work.

The other awning is plenty for anyone to fit under.

The insides of both are similar, but different.  Each building has different windows in different locations, and the doorway in the center-wall is in a different spot.

*NOTE: I've determined that the side walls, and interiors are all the same exact overall sizes.  With a tiny bit of paintwork on the front fascias you could actually buy another couple buildings, swap walls and windows etc...and end up with different structures.  It's a huge change (a nice one...) to have different layouts in each building.  It was something I didn't care for in my old Sarissa buildings --- identical windows and layouts in each building.

The secondary door in each kit can be wedged into the center wall or glued into position.  It does NOT come with swinging hardware or any way to mount it.  The front doors are mounted in swinging brackets...and swing freely.

The front door on each kit is a different design.  Note that (so far) all of the doors/windows would also swap from building to building.

Roof latch which I messed up (screwed up the install) it's supposed to be more flush with the roof.  Not a big deal.  Opens and closes.

Some shots showing the size.  The 4Ground building is shallower...but taller and wider (or as wide) as the others.  Left to right: 4Ground, Sarissa, Tri-City Laser, Flying Tricycle.

Each 4Ground building comes with a raised platform for the base (allowing the wood walkways to fit).  This can be removed (along with the wood platforms) and allow the buildings to sit flush.  I glued mine on, as I dig them.  It does raise the building quite a bit by comparison to the others.

The thick walls etc. provide a nice real 3D feel to the building.  Almost everything is double-sided, meaning there are no angles from which you see the "unfinished" side of things.  It does appear that the signage is also modular...and might work swapped (they attach with the same mechanic).  Depending on what else 4Ground release I may buy a few more of these, and swap them around.  The painted pieces come in sheets of painted MDF...you could actually re-spray them quite easily as well.  A little of ingenuity could go a long way!

The next day (my birfday!) my father added to my joy.  He's a fellow gamer and we'd spoken about some Crescent Root structures I liked.  He picked me up a couple of their adobe structures (I hope to be able to field a small Mexican town at some point).  Adobe buildings are so versatile, I was stoked to receive them.

Each structure has removable doors and roof-tiles.

The two-story models have removable upper rooms too.

While these aren't necessarily part of Drake's Branch...I'll have to name a Mexican town across the border now...I'm not a huge fan of resin terrain but these are pretty good, and reasonable priced.  The paint work is mediocre, so I'm debating if I'll buy them unpainted next time.  I may not bother as it's a secondary setting.

I think it's time to go crank out another building. lol
« Last Edit: May 05, 2013, 09:18:54 AM by Elbows »

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #23 on: May 05, 2013, 11:53:25 AM »
I snapped a few pictures while working on the third house.

Some of the MDF sheets you get in a package - painted and cut.

The instructions are...okay at best.  It definitely takes building one to figure out how it all really goes together.  Pictures are small, but get the job done.  It's also a bit confusing because the instruction sheets show steps needed for other buildings...leaving you searching for pieces you don't have!

You get quite a few pieces which end up being extra...and could well be used for other projects down the road.

Various bits and pieces under construction.

Much easier to paint signs (poorly) when they're still on the sheets or unassembled.

Occasionally 4Ground puts in little tiny pieces of character...almost easter eggs.  This is a tiny mouse nest cut into one of the interior walls.

My third house is drying - will probably try my hand at the bigger two story stuff tomorrow.  Time to get to bed!

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: The re-birth of Drake's Branch, NM. (DMH Buildings, page 2)
« Reply #24 on: May 05, 2013, 02:45:52 PM »
 :o :o :o :-* :-* :-* ;D ;D ;D

I guess there's not enough suitable emoticons to put here! Congrats on getting such cool buildings, they look mighty fine. Never heard before about those abode buildings, need to check on them more closely at some point. Keep us posted with many more pics! :)

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #25 on: May 05, 2013, 04:26:33 PM »
That's a really nice (and welcome) haul for your birthday then Elbows! Very nice and extensive review, personally I'm waiting for your review of the No 2 Main Street building.  :)
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline geoffb

• Librarian
    • hamandjam.co.uk
« Reply #26 on: May 05, 2013, 07:29:35 PM »
That towns coming together nicely.

Cheers
Geoff
I came, I saw, I went home again..

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #27 on: May 05, 2013, 09:43:14 PM »
Fantastic! I'm drooling over here  :-* :-*

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: May 05, 2013, 09:52:48 PM »
Before I sell off my older stuff I'll have to put it all together on the table, and see how crowded I can get Drake's Branch.  The last single story.

The interior wall is the same as one of the other buildings, but you can turn it either direction (again, it's all a bit modular the more you look at them).  I'm curious to see if the 2-story buildings share the same components (windows, interior walls etc.).  I suspect they will, so really the entire thing would be quite modular, the front fascias being the only exception.

I know women wouldn't have gone to the barber (or I don't imagine they did) but surely in some small towns you could get away with it...  lol  I did manage to properly flush-fit the opening latch up top this time.

PS: I will eventually be adding appropriate resin furniture to all of these buildings.  I believe most of the small single-story ones will be done up as a home/shoppe - with the back room being the home of the owner, the front being the small business parlor. 

Offline OLeary

• Scientist
    • Black Swan Painting
« Reply #29 on: May 06, 2013, 04:48:35 AM »
I'm going to enjoy seeing those furnished. Hurry up and put the old stuff up for sale so I can see if I can afford any of it.