Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 01:27:40 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: This just in! Entire town of Drake's Branch gunned down mercilessly!  (Read 5273 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
 lol

So I invited an ex-student over to introduce him to wargaming with Shoot N' Skedaddle seeing as he's a bit of an Old West nut (we both shoot Old West sixguns together at the range etc.).  He'd never played a table top miniature game before.  It took him a few turns to get the hang out of what was going on, but at the end of the first game he immediately "So, are we playing again?".  So we played a second game - went...grabbed some grub and when we came back, he said "...so, one more game?".

We played three games.  Being a new gamer his desire was mostly to run straight at me shooting (in proper spirit) so I obliged him.

Grisly scene on main street...Game one.

Enter Walt Pratchfield.
At the close of turn one, my buddy drew an "unwilling accomplice" and was allowed to add a Townsperson to his gang.  He placed this guy with a rifle in the middle of the street.  He engaged a Deputy and Marshal at point blank range, shrugging off a shotgun straight to the gut, and somehow survived the massacre which followed...

The equally grisly ending to game two...

Return of Walt Pratchfield.
During game two I drew a Townsperson with a rifle and figured...why not borrow the same figure.  He found a spot on a water tower and spent the game gunning a few characters down, fighting defiantly till the end as the last member of my posse (the posse had met a dismal end which involved bouncing a stick of dynamite off a horses head and a prostitute who was gunned down by no less than four enemy characters...).

The absurd violence of the third game in which almost every model died in one area.

No one escaped the savagery of game three...

The Legend of Walt Pratchfield.
For game three my buddy drew a real serious lot of hombres (Marshal, two hired guns, a business tycoon, some others...and the most dread character in the game, The Drifter).  The Drifter is intentionally built as the best character in the game.  I drew a reasonable gang and once again...a Townsperson with a repeating rifle.  I dragged the same figure out and openly declared "this Townsperson is going to kill the Drifter.".

The Drifter was wounded by a Cowboy early in the game, and when my buddy had a strong group in the center the Drifter galloped in on horseback and started shooting around.  My Townsperson ran up as close as he could (needing the close-in bonus to even stand a chance) and fired...missing.  It looked gloomy.    I drew a Shootout card.  I proudly declared "My Townsperson is calling The Drifter out.".  In SnS this is essentially suicidal, as a Shootout allows both characters to reload...then shoot until someone is dead.  To make matters worse the Drifter had a sawed off shotgun...meaning he'd be rolling 5 dice at D20 level...my Townsperson two dice at D6 level.  My buddy rolled...I rolled.  He struck me with four shots...all of which failed to wound.  I struck with both and landed a single wound, killing the Drifter.  Later Mr. Walt Pratchfield was gunned down by a Business Tycoon - but his legend was secure.  An ill-trained one man army of gusto.  The man who took down many legends and stood in the street face to face with the law, never blinking.

Here's to Walt Pratchfield.

2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline NickNascati

• Scatterbrained Genius
Even the horses!!  The horror, the horror!  :)

Online Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
My kind of game... If they move, kill 'em!
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Yeah, while it was not strategic in any sense it was fun...no one resisted shooting both handguns (even with the penalty).  One of the guys on horseback threw a stick of dynamite, but missed and it scattered...blowing the head off his own horse, who died...pitching him to the ground, where he became shocked and then was gunned down by a host of men.  One silly deputy tried to dive through a window out onto the gallows platform only to fail miserably and go crashing to the ground breaking his ankle in the process.

It was just constant laugh out loud mayhem with zero regard for tactics of the livelihood of the characters.   lol

Offline Mason

• Elder God
  • Eternal Butterfly!
    • Blind Beggar Miniatures
Sounds bloody hilarious and great fun.
 8)

It was just constant laugh out loud mayhem with zero regard for tactics of the livelihood of the characters.   lol

Sounds familiar.... ::)
 :D

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
Re: This just in! Entire town of Drake's Branch gunned down mercilessly!
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2014, 09:44:59 PM »
The way I look at ALL gaming: "If you have enjoyed yourself and had a few laughs along the way, you WIN, regardless of how it actually went!"

One guy at my club is a Living Example of that, nine times out of ten he rolls like crap and his army/ gang/ fleet is in shambles but he is always playing the game, having a laugh, never blames it on anything and generally takes it in good humour. The tenth time he crushes his adversary/ -ies but is quite modest about that too  :D!
"Who knows what Evil lurks in the heart of men?"
"The Shadow knows!!! Hahahahaha!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: June 06, 2014, 05:08:46 AM »
I suppose it's the theatre major in me, but I've always been slaughtered mercilessly at wargaming solely because I'm more prone to go for a good story than I am for the actual win.  Even moreso with games in the Old West.  I look at a game like a movie I'm watching and I think "what would make this really cool...the hero walks across the street guns in hand blazing away and is gunned down by a dozen bad guys?  Sounds good!".

#dramaoverstrategy

lol

Offline Dr. Zombie

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2014, 11:48:08 AM »
Absolutely brilliant!

And i really like those markers, where are they from?

Offline Dr. The Viking

• Galactic Brain
  • Rowdy, Hostile and Wrong Inc.
    • Dr. The Vikings Miniature Games Hell
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2014, 01:39:12 PM »
Absolutely brilliant!

And i really like those markers, where are they from?

Yes! How is our progress on that western thiing?!  lol
My Empire - where everything I ever did is collected:

http://www.c0wabunga.com

Offline Legionnaire

• Mad Scientist
  • So many ideas, so little time for games...
« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2014, 07:47:52 PM »
Walt Pritchfield FTW  :D!

I can see the next dreaded card topping The Drifter, "Walt Pritchfield, mild-mannered citizen. Special Ability: I have a job to do!"

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: June 06, 2014, 08:30:11 PM »
Yeah, he may become a consistent character... lol  The markers are just laser cut acrylic I had made.  I sell sets of acrylic markers for SnS but they're a huge pain as I have to peel them, so I'll be replacing them with a MDF-sheet-o-tokens at some point.  I'd invest in some of the DMH "dead bodies" but I'm not a fan of resin.  In SnS you're alive...wounded...or dead.  So the blood token indicates you're wounded and then of course we leave them with the bodies (and yes, horses get wounded/deaded also).