Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 10:58:41 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Boudi from Hasslefree  (Read 3056 times)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
Boudi from Hasslefree
« on: April 17, 2013, 10:32:11 AM »
Sorry about the quality of the pictures - snapped last night as the light was fading, and it's kind of flattened out the detail on the figure.

Really beautiful sculpt, and a nice mini to paint.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
Re: Boudi from Hasslefree
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2013, 10:47:54 AM »
Beautiful!
I need to get her too!

Offline Kes

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2013, 09:57:22 PM »
Very nice - hoping to pick her up on Saturday ;)

Offline Alcidas

• Bookworm
    • Fantasy Battles
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2013, 10:14:21 PM »
Beautiful! Well done.

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:51:37 PM »
Really nice work - especially liking the skin tones. Any pointers on technique there will be gratefully absorbed.
Have fun storming the castle! ...and that really isn't me you know...

Gothic Project: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=55943.0 - although on pause atm as too much RL stuff getting in the way.

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 06:49:08 PM »
Really nice work - especially liking the skin tones. Any pointers on technique there will be gratefully absorbed.

Glad you like it :)

I'm hardly an expert, but I use the old GW Dwarf Flesh and Elf Flesh colours, with a GW Reikgard flesh shade (the old Ogryn Flesh wash or even older Flesh ink will also do).  Don't know what the new-fangled equivalents are called, but basically a ruddy flesh and pale flesh colour.  IIRC they're also close to Vallejo Dark Flesh and Light Flesh.

1) Base of Dwarf Flesh;
2) Flesh wash/shade.  I tend to thin it 1:1 with water, unless I want a very dark face with recessed shadows;
3) Dwarf Flesh again, this time leaving the deepest recesses;
4) One or more layers mixing Dwarf flesh and Elf Flesh.  Depending on the model, it can be as few as a single coat of the colours mixed in a 1:1 ratio, or several coats gradually lightening the mix.

Apply these layers to progressively higher points of the model surface - for example on the face, you should concentrate on the forehead, eyebrows, nose, cheekbones and chin.  It's a bit washed out on the face in my photos, but you can see the effect on her left leg.

5) Final highlight of Elf Flesh on the highest points.  For very pale faces, don't be afraid to start mixing in white and go very pale on the highlights;

If the model is looking rough, I'll add a couple more steps:

6) To blend the tones together, another thinned Flesh shade wash can help;
7) Repeat steps 4 and 5, highlighting up the mid and light flesh tones.  Steps 6 and 7 give the tone a real depth.

You don't need to use all these steps - experiment.

Keep your layers thin, and a small amount on a small brush or one with a fine point.

if you use washes, paint the eyes last.  If you don't you can paint them first, and shape them with your base coat.  For eyes, I use a cream/bone colour for the whites, and a mid-brown for the pupils and edging.

A touch of dark red for the lips (or a green, purple or blue for weird and wonderful fantasy types).  Some people put a spot of white for a reflection spot on them.

Coloured eyeshadow above the eyes can work wonders on female models.

Boudi's eyebrows are not great here, but a well-shaped eyebrow can add to the femininity of the model.

Some great resources:

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m2570007_PaintingFacesMasterclass.pdf

http://www.games-workshop.com/MEDIA_CustomProductCatalog/m820035a_Painting_Faces_Redux.pdf

http://www.jenova.dk/Faces.htm

http://www.jenova.dk/Skintones.htm

http://www.reapermini.com/Thecraft/12
« Last Edit: May 09, 2013, 07:04:59 PM by Momotaro »

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 07:46:35 PM »
Thanks Momotaro - some useful links too.

Offline Mancha

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Hinterland Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 08:25:20 PM »
I really like your skintones.  Her painted-in eyebrows, however, make her look somewhat surprised and mannish--or cavegirlish, which might actually be appropriate for this mini, come to think of it.   :)

Offline Momotaro

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 09:20:28 PM »
I really like your skintones.  Her painted-in eyebrows, however, make her look somewhat surprised and mannish--or cavegirlish, which might actually be appropriate for this mini, come to think of it.   :)

With you on the eyebrows - I'm annoyed enough with them that next time I'm doing some character work I'll angle and thin them!

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2013, 06:40:55 AM »
Only just seen this! Amazing work, Derek! I think your flesh painting tutorial there will be rather beneficial as painting flesh is where I usually fail.

Offline muncehead

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: May 12, 2013, 10:25:59 AM »
With you on the eyebrows - I'm annoyed enough with them that next time I'm doing some character work I'll angle and thin them!
..mind you, if this mini is in a period before eye-brow tweezers....... :D