Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 01:18:52 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Oldhammer questions  (Read 3628 times)

Offline aiteal

• Librarian
Re: An Oldhammer question
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2013, 11:13:47 PM »
yeah
so for reiksguard you can have one unit of 20, two units of 10, or no units
the 20 helblitzen is the minimum number you must have to be 'legal'
to be honest, back when we played 3rd edition, no-one in our group even dreamed of enforcing the required units

then again, I played a generic chaos army until Slaves was released, which didn't have any minimum troop types requirements iirc
So I wasn't about to get pissy with a mate cause he didn't have his minimum number of scythe armed skellies :)

We tended to take the overall points split (rank and file vs chars etc) a little more seriously though.

Offline Timbor

• Mastermind
Re: Oldhammer questions
« Reply #16 on: April 29, 2013, 03:23:28 AM »
I had a couple other questions:

- must ally contingents have a lvl 20 leader, even if I just have one unit?  I want a unit of halfling archers for my empire army, but would prefer not to have to buy a 80 halfling leader.

- for ranged weapons, is it only the front rank that fires their weapons?  I can't seem to find anything saying how many models can shoot.
Paint log - leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=36840.0

Blog - My life in Millimetres

Offline stone-cold-lead

• Mastermind
« Reply #17 on: April 29, 2013, 08:01:17 AM »
I had a couple other questions:

- must ally contingents have a lvl 20 leader, even if I just have one unit?  I want a unit of halfling archers for my empire army, but would prefer not to have to buy a 80 halfling leader.

If you're going strictly by the army list then yes. It makes sense to have a hero as the allies leader as they're like a small independent army (even if you do only field one unit) attached to your main force. You could always work out a lower level hero if you're not too strict with the lists and want a cheaper character.

- for ranged weapons, is it only the front rank that fires their weapons?  I can't seem to find anything saying how many models can shoot.

I think I recall it only being the front rank that can shoot. It is rather silly though I think, especially when pole armed troops in the second (and third) rank can attack in melee. AD&D Battlesystem had first and second ranks being able to shoot and that was much better.

Offline Blue in vt

• Mastermind
« Reply #18 on: April 29, 2013, 11:41:51 AM »
Agreed...if you are a by the books player then you are supposed to have that big hero...if not then give the unit a leader and be done with it.

For shooting I've been having 1/2 the second rank be able to fire as well for bow and xbow units.  For hand guns if they want to fire every turn the. They have to swap
Ranks...so one the front rank each turn.  I find missle fire to be quite Ineffective in 3rd...giving a unit a few more shots each turn can make a difference.

Remember it's oldhammer...be flexible...have a GM...and make the game fun for you and your players.

By the way...I wish I was closer I'd love to join such a large oldhammer group!

Cheers,

Blue
My Painting/Collecting Blog: http://bluesmarauders.blogspot.com/

"Jesus weeps when people buy resin." ...Hammers March 2012