Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 28, 2024, 01:31:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690921
  • Total Topics: 118357
  • Online Today: 657
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Rules, I want your opinions  (Read 3319 times)

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
Re: Rules, I want your opinions
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 06:57:18 AM »
Given your time frame, I don't think Dux Brit is the best fit. Whilst the system is versatile, the rules are firmly set at the Late Classical/Early Medieval start of the Dark Ages.

The Lord of the Rings rules work very well, and I intend to give the suggested Dark Age version a try myself.

SAGA are fun and I think the battle boards add a degree of subtlety to the game that might be missing in some other systems. You'd only need the basic rules and, contrary to popular belief, you don't need the funky but costly dice  :)

Offline Luddite

• Scientist
    • The Shire and everything after
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 08:08:14 AM »
The GW LotR rules are basically their core skirmish engine used in many games from Necromunda to LEgends of the Old West to Gladiator.

The basic rules are available free in Mordheim form here...http://www.games-workshop.com/gws/content/article.jsp?catId=cat480008a&categoryId=6700006a&section=&aId=21500021a
http://luddite1811.blogspot.co.uk/

It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.  It is by the juice of Typhoo the thoughts acquire speed, the teeth acquire stains, the stains serve as a warning.  It is by tea alone I set my mind in motion.

Offline max

• Scientist
  • Medieval Mad
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 11:02:35 AM »
If you go for LOTR, stats are very easy, just use the basic ones. When i played i added a Shieldwall rule, meaning if at least three men stood in a line they got +1 defence. You can also add a couple of special rules to each force/nation to give it a little individual touch. I did write loads of ideas down, just got to find them!

Offline Little Odo

• Mastermind
    • Little Odo's Grand Days Out
« Reply #18 on: May 04, 2013, 08:29:39 AM »
If you go for LOTR, stats are very easy, just use the basic ones. When i played i added a Shieldwall rule, meaning if at least three men stood in a line they got +1 defence. You can also add a couple of special rules to each force/nation to give it a little individual touch. I did write loads of ideas down, just got to find them!

I added that rule too (I stole it from the Dragon Warriors RPG rules for Thanes)! I like LotR SBG and use it for both LotR and Historical gaming, but have yet to get the Saga and Dux rules to see how they fare. When I get some spare cash I will probably get them all in one go and see which one works best for each size army.
Little Odo's Grand Days Out
http://littleodo.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Eric the Bad

• Lurker
« Reply #19 on: May 08, 2013, 01:27:56 PM »
I have a 28mm Viking army all based singularly which I use for skirmish games using the Saga rule set. They are fast and brutal and the battleboards do add some brain teasing. Have just finished a small linked campaign using the rules and scenarios. Great fun, got through 5 games over 2 days using 6 point armies. Unfortunately I lost 3 of the 5 games but killed the Anglo-Dane warlord in the last turn of the last game!!!

I also use Hail Ceasar for bigger games. I find they work well, flow smoothly and can be tweeked for personal preference. I use the same Viking army but with the figures put into movement trays.

Looking to try the lardys ruleset soon particularly for the campaign ideas.