Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 24, 2024, 12:07:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Troublemaker Games 28mm Scifi Light Infantry  (Read 11043 times)

Offline eMills

• Scientist
eMills
« Reply #15 on: May 01, 2013, 06:31:14 PM »
What's funny is that it's smaller than most!  lol

It's also WIP, so could easily be reduced in scale if that's the popular opinion.

Smaller than most what? It's ridiculously large.

"Convergent development" might fly if the Tallarn hadn't been around for 20 years or so...

Other than the weapons and the odd feet, I think these are decent.  Hard to see a lot of detail though. Might serve you to post some close up stills of the figures with and without their arms in place.

~Eric

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
Re: Troublemaker Games 28mm Scifi Light Infantry
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2013, 07:29:18 PM »
The sword would put me off - rather more Fantasy than Sci Fi for my taste

I will keep an eye on the kickstarter though and see how things develop.

Good luck with the project

Offline Zaheer

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #17 on: May 01, 2013, 07:45:03 PM »
Boots are insane, all I can think of...

If these were dressed in the full-length arab robe, I think they'd be distinct from... you know, and certainly more interesting to me.

Offline Troublemaker Games

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: May 01, 2013, 08:40:33 PM »
Looking nice, but 2 of the links you've posted don't work.
I've fixed the Sergeant video, which other one was broken?

• Bookworm
Re: eMills
« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2013, 08:51:48 PM »
Smaller than most what? It's ridiculously large.
Smaller than most "chainsaw swords" for 28mm figures.
That must make most of them absurdly large. :-)

Still, I'll reduce the size based on your feedback. :-)

Other than the weapons and the odd feet,
I'll fix the sword, and I think armoured boots are awesome. :-)

I think these are decent.  Hard to see a lot of detail though. Might serve you to post some close up stills of the figures with and without their arms in place.
I'll get that done tomorrow.

Cheers Eric.

Offline dijit

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • And when Eric eats a banana...
« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2013, 09:20:03 PM »
To be honest they're ok, but really need those extra troops - support weapons, command, etc to work. Also having seen the difference between renders and the physical reality I always now want to know what it'll look like in reality first before splashing any support behind it.

The chainsword doesn't work for me either. GW chainswords are just daft and any who's used a chainsaw knows that they wouldn't be great weapons (who knows why they insist on using them in zombie films either - they'd just get snagged all the time). I'd prefer a 'power simitar' type thing.

Otherwise you're more talented than I am, and a great start. I'd suggest workings little more on them first though.

Offline Wilkins

• Scientist
« Reply #21 on: May 01, 2013, 10:13:56 PM »
Would rather see something more similar to a crysknife than a GW nonsense knife, no use for that at all!

Offline manatic

• Mad Scientist
    • Dawn of the Lead
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2013, 06:36:47 AM »
Smaller swords and boots would be nice, yes!

As for the similarity to GW...well, to be honest GW pushes out minis on generic concepts with real life influences, so it's pretty hard to avoid similarity. Someone doing generic "not-Rambo" style miniatures (tank top, headband, fatigue pants) would immediately be accused of ripping off Catachan jungle fighters, for example.

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2013, 07:40:37 AM »
I agree with that but the very first thought I had when I saw the miniatures wasn't "oh look at those Laurence of Arabia inspired miniatures" it was "Why has that Tallarn got overly large feet and a rustic lasgun?"

The design cues from the Tallarn are obvious... the large curved shoulder pads, the length of the over coat... etc...

It matters not to me whether people choose to ignore it or carry on the practice but this is obviously a case of redesigning a Tallarn.

And to say 'Sci-fi Arabians are not being produced today' has no bearing on whether it is an original idea or not. Being first decides that.

Many people have achieved profit on the shoulders of giants so I guess this is just another one.

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2013, 08:20:56 AM »
A bit too derivative for me...and I can't believe I'm saying this, but the old GW were actually less ridiculous.

Chainswords and las pistols...pass.  :?

I prefer a genuine product which just happens to be used as a proxy for the popular games.  I'm not a huge fan of purpose-built proxy miniatures.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2013, 08:57:27 AM »
It is very difficult to be wholly original.  I have not seen the GW? figures referred to so could not really comment on the likeness.

I think you guys should give the sculptor a break.  Although I have some reservations (see previous posts) they are pretty good and I would certainly like to see a fuller range produced.

• Bookworm
« Reply #26 on: May 02, 2013, 09:17:50 AM »
To be honest they're ok, but really need those extra troops - support weapons, command, etc to work.
That'll definitely happen if we get past the initial funding target, even if I have to pay for the costs myself. I've got some great ideas for support weapons sketched out that I'll be working on soon.

Also having seen the difference between renders and the physical reality I always now want to know what it'll look like in reality first before splashing any support behind it.
That's why I also included a photo of a matter printed model on the pitch page, to give an idea of what they'll look like (albeit that model has less detail because it was an early prototype - no cloth folds on the legs, slightly different gun design, etc.).

The chainsword doesn't work for me either. GW chainswords are just daft and any who's used a chainsaw knows that they wouldn't be great weapons (who knows why they insist on using them in zombie films either - they'd just get snagged all the time). I'd prefer a 'power simitar' type thing.
I'll be swapping out for something a bit more crysknifeish, most likely, and "power scimitars" for officers.

Otherwise you're more talented than I am, and a great start. I'd suggest workings little more on them first though.
Eh, half the rationale behind running a crowdfunding campaign is to garner loads of feedback so that the stretch concepts are done right, IMO.

• Bookworm
« Reply #27 on: May 02, 2013, 09:22:15 AM »
I have not seen the GW? figures referred to so could not really comment on the likeness.

I think you guys should give the sculptor a break.  Although I have some reservations (see previous posts) they are pretty good and I would certainly like to see a fuller range produced.
The GW figures they're talking about don't look entirely dissimilar, but that's inevitable if you want to do dune/arabian-inspired troops really. Same thing with rambo/catachan, german WII troops/death korps of krieg. There's no historical or scifi archetype GW hasn't played with at some point in the last 30 years.

GW's figures are OOP, in any case, so it's not like I'm even setting up to compete with them.

• Bookworm
« Reply #28 on: May 02, 2013, 10:03:44 AM »
Here's a couple of high-res shots, with a smaller Chainscimitar.
Will be doing Toothblades too, for the more Fremem-esque aesthetic. :-)

Offline Dave Knight

• Mad Scientist
    • Lead Warrior
« Reply #29 on: May 02, 2013, 10:30:41 AM »
I would suggest providing the figure openhanded with the scimitar seperate