Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:47:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690719
  • Total Topics: 118343
  • Online Today: 839
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry 8th Army - my 1st efforts & some interesting size comparisons  (Read 8241 times)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
I've assembled and painted a few trial Perry 8th Army models for my ongoing East Africa project, and have also had a look at my existing collection for compatibility.  While not as beautiful as Captain Blood's miniature masterpieces, I am going for a fairly quick wargaming paint job (about 15 mins each) as I expect to be painting around 100 of these fellows. 

As I'm planning to do a section of the 1941 Battle of Keren, I wanted some chaps shooting upwards in support of their fellows attacking up the mountainside.  Fortunately the separate arms make this very easy with a small amount of trimming and filling.
As regards scale, I've always been happy to mix various manufacturers, but these are something else.  Although the Perrys' recent work has always been on the slimmer/more realistic side of 28mm, these are genuine scale models.  The height isn't so much of a difference, but the bulk is.

8th Army, L-R: Perry, West Wind, Artizan.
The more I assembled, the more I came to thinking that these are not just an hommage to Airfix in terms of subject material and poses, but also in scale as well, as I think this picture shows (Airfix 1/32 alongside his Perry 1/56 counterpart.)    
I also had a look at the opposition in my collection.  Here's how they compare to the Italians:

L-R: Artizan (x2), Perry 8th Army, Empress, Askari.

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
I am going for a fairly quick wargaming paint job (about 15 mins each)
I'd love to see a 'How to.." on that with big pictures so as to get a clear idea of what is going on. :)
Commission Painting undertaken, PM or email me.

Offline Brian Smaller

• Mad Scientist
    • The Woolshed Wargamer
THis was a really helpful post. Thanks for that. Great paint job for 15 minutes a piece!!

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
I think they look excellent. Useful to get the size comparisons too.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Very nicely done and the comparison pics are realy useful - thanks!

Chris
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks James  ;)

I think for 15 mins apiece, they look bloody impressive. I reckon mine took me an hour apiece at least...  :(

I am worried about the finish on yours in the close-ups though :o They've got a bit of a crackle thing going on - is that the varnish you've used. I hope they're okay.

The 1:32 scale figure is gorgeous as well, and the comparison pics are interesting. It is really astonishing when you look at the relatively naturally proportioned Perry figure alongside 'traditional' 28mm wargames figures, how lumpen and stiffly posed so many of our beloved metal figures are...  ::)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Very nice work - well done :)

Thank-you for the comparison pictures. 
I have a lot of Artizan and feared that they were substantially larger, which you have confirmed.

I love the comparison with te airfix figure - wonderful  :-*.

Mick

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Thanks James  ;)

I think for 15 mins apiece, they look bloody impressive. I reckon mine took me an hour apiece at least...  :(

I am worried about the finish on yours in the close-ups though :o They've got a bit of a crackle thing going on - is that the varnish you've used. I hope they're okay.

Thank you.  I did a very detailed 4-page 'How To' article in Issue 65 of Wargames Soldiers & Strategy ('Tea Break!  How To Paint An Eighth Army Soldier in 15 Minutes', pages 56-59), so I suggest that's worth a look if anyone wants to know the step-by-step process.  Basically I'm very busy with a new job and small children at the moment, so I'm trying very hard to find quick ways of getting my figures painted!  :)

I think the crackle varnish thing is due to impatience on my part!  I have been using the Army Painter Quickshade as part of the process, and I put the figures to dry on the radiator after doing them...I suspect I might have been better to wait the recommended 24 hours... ;)  I've used it on loads of other figures with no problems (cf all the metal figures and the Airfix model in my pics; they seem to have no crackles.)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Very nice work - well done :)

Thank-you for the comparison pictures. 
I have a lot of Artizan and feared that they were substantially larger, which you have confirmed.

I love the comparison with te airfix figure - wonderful  :-*.

Mick

No problem.  I was expecting a difference, but the comparisons surprised me when I put the models side by side.  I've never minded mixing different manufacturers in the same unit (citing the usual 'differences in human size/build' arguments), but these are significant, especially when you consider the differences in the bulk/size of standard items like the Lee Enfields, bayonets and helmets.  I still like the Artizan figs, but I think it's going to be Perry all the way for this project...

Offline redzed

• Mastermind
    • redzed
Thank you.  I did a very detailed 4-page 'How To' article in Issue 65 of Wargames Soldiers & Strategy ('Tea Break!  How To Paint An Eighth Army Soldier in 15 Minutes', pages 56-59), so I suggest that's worth a look if anyone wants to know the step-by-step process.
so you have lol
(I haven't had time yet to read all of WSS)

Offline Tellus

• Scientist
Re: Perry 8th Army - my 1st efforts & some interesting size comparisons
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2013, 01:20:42 PM »
For 15 minutes per Mini this is really an amazing result.

Offline essayons7

• Assistant
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2013, 03:40:41 PM »
I just picked up that issue of WSS - great article!!!

Offline grant

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2013, 05:47:15 PM »
Really great work. That article in WSS was enjoyable, and timely.

It’s a beautiful thing, the destruction of words - Orwell, 1984

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #13 on: May 06, 2013, 08:55:52 AM »
Very nice, and the comparison will help me.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline pocoloco

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #14 on: May 06, 2013, 09:11:37 AM »
Oh dear, only 15 mins per mini?   o_o I could never hope to achieve such a result. Lovely work.